2.0 Gen 1 post fix impressions, issues, etc.

Snowyroad

TDI
2014 Jetta TDi
I curious to know how people who got the emissions fix for the Gen 1 2.0 TDI feel about how it has changed their car. Drivability, performance, fuel economy.
Please post your experiences.
This is mine so far after the fix last week.....2014 Jetta TDI automatic.
The fix itself went well in the time frame they said it would.
Right off I noticed more engine noise. Just sounds rougher and more rattley.
Low end torque is definitely reduced. That instant pin you back in the seat response is history. :(
At highway cruising speed the rpms seem to be a touch higher. Maybe only 100 or so, but noticeable. The auto trans does seem to shift differently throughout the spectrum too.
Fuel economy has stayed about the same. If it is lower it's not by much. Well within the 2MPG decrease that VW stated.
It's still not a bad car by any means. Just different. Not a whole lot, but enough to be noticeable.

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Our 2010 DSG has been done for nearly 2 weeks now, and everything you stated is exactly what I have noticed too:

More 'diesel engine' purring sound at low RPMs when beginning to accelerate.

Reduced torque at acceleration from standing still. Although, you can get it to launch like it used too, you just have to mash down further on the pedal. Once the car is moving down the road, I don't really notice any difference in torque when I need to accelerate quickly, maybe a slight delay from before(?), but it seems to only be that way when you take off from a full stop.

RPMs definitely seem higher than they used to be when cruising at the same speed before the fix.

No change in fuel economy that I can tell. Still averaging 37.x gal/mi.

Trans does shift weird sometimes. Also, have you noticed how there seems to be higher RPMs when you shift it into gear from Park? I know this sounds strange, but it seems that when I shift it into Reverse to back out of the garage in the morning, the car has a stronger 'pull' wanting to launch out harder than it used to. I think it's because the RPMs are higher when I put it into gear than they used to be???

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
As the DSG gear ratios did not change, and there is no torque converter, how can the revs be slightly higher at cruising speed?

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
No idea. I just know it sounds that way compared to before and it doesn't sound healthy. For my car it doesn't matter anyway, since everything they did will be ripped out and re-tuned by the end of this week. All of the parts are now here in my shop, and starting on it tomorrow morning.

GTOguy

TDI
'13 Beetle TDI 6spd, Rawtek/Malone 2.0 Eco
Stay puff, was your car tuned and returned back to stock to get the fix? That is what I am contemplating doing. A lot of hassle but the wife wants the fix money. I'm just worried about what VW is going to do to it that maybe I can't get it back the way it is now. Let us know how it goes.

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Stay puff, was your car tuned and returned back to stock to get the fix? That is what I am contemplating doing. A lot of hassle but the wife wants the fix money. I'm just worried about what VW is going to do to it that maybe I can't get it back the way it is now. Let us know how it goes.
No, I decided to wait on tuning and replacing the exhaust (before the scandal) and of course when the scandal broke, I'm glad I did. I also had purchased one of Andrew's original Pureflow/Containflow kits and timing belt shields too when he came out with them. Was planning on doing everything at once during the Fall of 2015 when I had more time, and then when the news broke I just put everything on hold. I knew any mods would make my car unqualified for the fix, if there would be one, and so I've just been maintaining everything to the max to make sure nothing broke in the system until I could get it scheduled. I wanted the money too, like everyone else, but more importantly I wanted those stickers and the car in the database as being compliant.

skycrane

TDI
'12 Audi A3, 96 E300, 87 300SDL
GTOguy, i had my Malone Stage 2/w DSG tune and CP3 pump done. I took the car in last thurs, and got the car back the next day. Nothing was said about the tune or HPFP

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
That's very interesting. If you had taken your car to the dealership I went to, your experience would have been different. They asked me 2 very specific questions when I arrived: Does the car have a CEL on? Have you modified the car in any way? Volkswagen has given very clear instructions on this and they are written in our booklet too. It's awesome that your dealership didn't give a rip about it, but I would not expect that from most of the other dealerships.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
That's very interesting. If you had taken your car to the dealership I went to, your experience would have been different. They asked me 2 very specific questions when I arrived: Does the car have a CEL on? Have you modified the car in any way? Volkswagen has given very clear instructions on this and they are written in our booklet too. It's awesome that your dealership didn't give a rip about it, but I would not expect that from most of the other dealerships.
One interesting issue could be if you bought your car used and have no idea of any tune or mods.. If the dealer ask you "does the car have any mods" some people may honestly not know if they bought a few year older car..what then?? as I bought my car used (rebuild title) Not knowing the original owner..My car really seems to have great torque.. it may have had a tune done back in 2011 from the original owner..don't know cause have not driven another 2011 same as mine (6mt).. my 2000 jetta has a RC2 tune and you can really tell ( especially with all the smoke when floored!:D)

Last edited:

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
And that may be the reason why some dealerships aren't too concerned. In the case you mentioned, you would just simply tell them you don't know. If it turned out to be modified, you would really have no way to return the programming to stock. Since they're going to be reflashing the ECM anyway, I really don't understand the big deal behind the ECM aftermarket mods. I can see if there are physical mods that could cause problems and conflicts with the new factory modification, but software mods? To me it shouldn't matter if it's a stock program or aftermarket program. It's going to be deleted anyway.

Edit/addendum: In skycrane's circumstance, I find it VERY strange that they didn't have a problem with the CP3 installed. That is in no way factory and the HPFP is part of the new warranty. I would think VW would have a real problem with that.....but maybe not

Last edited:

mpriolo

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan, DSG, CP3 HPFP
StayPuff - I also had a CP3 HPFP installed. I was initially concerned that any modifications would stop the fix from happening. Afer reading the booklet they sent out I was encouraged. It mentioned any HW or SW modifications affecting the emissions system would have to be brought back to original conditions before proceding with the fix. So I took it in and didn't tell and they didn't ask. The hardware side of the fix is finished - just waiting on the DSG re-flash which they are having issues with on the 09's. So I don't think the CP3 HPFP is an issue.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Edit/addendum: In skycrane's circumstance, I find it VERY strange that they didn't have a problem with the CP3 installed. That is in no way factory and the HPFP is part of the new warranty. I would think VW would have a real problem with that.....but maybe not..

why would they have a problem with a part ( great improvement) that would save their butts maybe later:D That is if they even know how much better it is than their pump:eek:

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
That's great that you guys were able to get it done without having a problem with the CP3 installed. There's no doubt I wouldn't have been so fortunate. It will be interesting to see that those who have swapped out the pump, but have left everything else intact, will have problems with any warranty claims in the future....unless you're like me and couldn't care less. If I knew it wouldn't have prevented my claim, I would have done the CP3 a long time ago. Thankfully my original HPFP at 118K miles hasn't imploded. I'll be swapping it out soon enough though. I ordered 2 used pumps and a seal kit from England and will be rebuilding my own. The pumps are supposed to arrive today and the seal kit later this week.

mdl3r1

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
thanks for all the great input guys...but might we get back to the original thread "post fix impressions"....as opposed to "will VW notice my tune/modif's if I take it in for the fix"?

I ask bc had an appointment for today, but after reading this/other threads about post-fix changes, am having second thoughts, postponed appointment, and am seeking input help on if it's safe to do the fix... is the fix "proven" or "tested" enough? will it cause me other CEL's...etc?

than ks in advance..

mpriolo

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan, DSG, CP3 HPFP
thanks for all the great input guys...but might we get back to the original thread "post fix impressions"....as opposed to "will VW notice my tune/modif's if I take it in for the fix"?

I ask bc had an appointment for today, but after reading this/other threads about post-fix changes, am having second thoughts, postponed appointment, and am seeking input help on if it's safe to do the fix... is the fix "proven" or "tested" enough? will it cause me other CEL's...etc?

than ks in advance..
I would hold off given that you have an 09 with a DSG transmission. VW is having difficulty with the DSG re- flash for that model year and a number of us have our cars parked at the dealerships waiting for SW update. Everything else was completed - consequently, they won't release the cars in their current state. There is a thread on this. Look for the SW fix before rescheduling your appointment.

Marty

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
Car got 45 mpg on the way to and from work for the last several days. 37 miles each way. 65mph-70mph. The last few tanks have been right about what I normally get for hand calculated full tanks (~38mpg).

Martin-Harris

TDI
2009 JSW
On my 2009 JSW, MFD was saying around 41-2 on my 30 mile commute to work. Now it is lucky to be 36-37. Hand calculated tank averages pre-fix were 33-38 depending on conditions. First three tanks after the fix were 29.3, 35.1(only 10 gallon fill), and 33.1 (running on fumes).

Performance wise, seems mostly back to normal (I think there was a period of retraining the DSG), although I also find myself babying it a LOT more since the economy shock. Not so many 0-60 in 8 second freeway ramp entrances and flooring it to pass grandmas.

Just information, FWIW.

LovetheSnarl

TDI
2014 VW Golf TDI
Just got the Gen 1 fix: impressions

Hi everyone,

I've appreciated all your posts, on this thread and elsewhere, about the Gen 1 fix and the results. They were a huge help in deciding whether to take the fix for my 2014 Golf automatic. I got the fix yesterday, and I drove the car about 60 miles immediately after picking it up. I'm not an expert or anything, but the car felt almost exactly the same to me. It had just as much pep, and by the end of my drive, on which I did about 60 mph on relatively level rural roads, I was getting about 45 MPG (according to the dash) which is a few MPG less than I got on a much longer drive a few days earlier (same speeds and terrain). So, anyway, no noticeable difference, except maybe a bit of loss in MPG. Oh well...still happy with 45 highway, especially since I love the car. Hope all you other fix-takers get good results too. I'm happy to (try to) answer any questions. For what it's worth, my VW service person at the Dealer, who was great, said they've done about a dozen Gen 1 fixes in the past few weeks and have heard nothing negative back...

Tdiforme2

TDI
2012 Jetta 6 speed manual
I just got the Fix yesterday on 2012 Jetta with 65,500mi. I am impressed that butt dyno and overall feel is almost the same, same little cool start stumble and not really noisier. I filled up after and hand calculated before at 42.
I get up to 45 avg highway. Work commutes 45mi day mostly highway. I'll report back issues and mileage after some miles. Otherwise pleased so far, almost like; did they actually reprogram.
I did not take the buyback as that was more like wholesale price for me as some others reported, I suppose the reason is it's a basic Jetta.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
ahhhh!! Finally a manual car!! great to hear the result.. sounds great.. I am getting ready to do the same.. 2011 50,000 miles...manual car also.. Thank you.. please let us know any updates..

blazerico

TDI
`09 JSW, DSG; '12 JSW (manual)
2012 JSW (manual) 131k miles got the fix today. They annoyed the crap out of me with the new estimated mpg of 32 highway. I guess when I said "that sucks!" it was kinda loud because the service manager turned to see what was wrong. Got 38 mpg on the way home, about 20 miles. Most likely getting it tuned, dpf delete, etc so it doesn't really matter. Free money is already gone too for the timing, brakes, tires, exhaust...funny how that works out.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW (manual) 131k miles got the fix today. They annoyed the crap out of me with the new estimated mpg of 32 highway. I guess when I said "that sucks!" it was kinda loud because the service manager turned to see what was wrong. Got 38 mpg on the way home, about 20 miles. Most likely getting it tuned, dpf delete, etc so it doesn't really matter. Free money is already gone too for the timing, brakes, tires, exhaust...funny how that works out.
so if you don't mind.. please let us know if the mpg's dropped a lot or stayed the same after driving some highway miles and if power is changed .. Thanx!

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Got my 2009 back today with the 'fix'. I'm pleased to report I'm not seeing any major changes. The engine is, perhaps, a wee bit louder, and there might be a slight difference in the way the DSG behaves, maybe holding each gear a little longer, but I'm not sure about that. There's definitely no lag, the acceleration is still excellent, and the fuel economy was normal, according to the computer, after a typical day driving around Indianapolis, including 40 miles on the freeway at higher speeds. Needless to say, I am relieved. I will report back after a few tanks of diesel. Now I'm glad I kept this great car (although the Jetta 1.4 TSI I got as a loaner was unexpectedly impressive).

Last edited:

Geoff_in_MN

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Post-fix Observations

My bone stock 2012 Jetta Sedan with the post-fix 2.0 TDI and 64K miles is experiencing some surging and stumbling at steady speeds. It is most pronounced when the vehicle is not fully warmed up. For example, I leave work for my 30 mile commute, and about 10 minutes into the trip I go through a small town with a 30 MPH speed limit. I set the cruise in 3rd gear (MT)1900 RPM at 30 and it seems to confuse the computer. It'll surge and stumble a couple times per second, yet still maintain the speed. When I accelerate, it's smooth as silk and the power is just as good as before the fix. It also idles perfectly without a hiccup. It's not throwing any codes or at least no lights anyway. I don't own any diagnostic tools for this vehicle. After it's fully warmed up, there seems to be much less of an issue. I'm loathe to take it to the dealer if I can avoid it. Anybody else have this issue? Suggestions?

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Got my 2009 back today with the 'fix'. I'm pleased to report I'm not seeing any major changes. The engine is, perhaps, a wee bit louder, and there might be a slight difference in the way the DSG behaves, maybe holding each gear a little longer, but I'm not sure about that. There's definitely no lag, the acceleration is still excellent, and the fuel economy was normal, according to the computer, after a typical day driving around Indianapolis, including 40 miles on the freeway at higher speeds. Needless to say, I am relieved. I will report back after a few tanks of diesel. Now I'm glad I kept this great car (although the Jetta 1.4 TSI I got as a loaner was unexpectedly impressive).
Got a check engine light while driving home from work tonight on the interstate. Oh well. No effect on performance. Back in she goes.

Geoff_in_MN

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Is that only with the cruise control on?
I would say it is more noticeable with the cruise on, however it still occurs when I try to maintain a steady speed especially at lower speeds in lower gear. As I stated previously, it is more pronounced when the engine is not fully warmed up.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
Got a check engine light while driving home from work tonight on the interstate. Oh well. No effect on performance. Back in she goes.
Please let us know what the dealer says..what they did to fix it or otherwise?! thanx!!

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Please let us know what the dealer says..what they did to fix it or otherwise?! thanx!!
I will. I'm just going to show up tomorrow morning before work at the dealership's express service, no appointment. I can't see how it's anything that would strand me along the highway. Aside from the fix (which involved replacing glow plug module -- wasn't aware of that) they did a 150K service with brake fluid flush and replaced a torn CV joint boot. They also did the snow flap oxygen sensor recall replacement. I'm still not driving the car today. I will report back.

Jackiechan005

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Completed my fix on my 2010 Gen I TDI (6sp manual - 138,XXX miles). The dealer kept the car for 3 days as they had issues with replacing a glow plug module while I beat on a 2016 Nissan Altima (CVT's are very odd transmissions with that rubber-band effect). Apparently there are two GP modules that they needed to replace before they could update the software. Also I had to replace my battery for some reason as they stated it wasn't big enough. The sales tech person did not provide a great explanation and said it had something to do with the amps of the current battery.

First impressions:
-The low end grunt is not as pronounced at lower RPM's which I miss. It's still responsive but my butt dyno feels there is less torque at lower RPMS especially when accelerating from 2,000 RPM.
-I still have the exhaust flap "hiccup" while driving around which doesn't happen too much.
-Engine Noise: I don't hear any difference in sound near idle as everyone else stated; I hear more engine coarseness when I get up in RPM's.
-Mileage: I have noticed the drive MPG readout to be more sensitive to throttle responses. The instantaneous readout shows a lower MPG under hard throttle against what it used to be. I agree that there is ~2 MPG hit (5% of 41) on MPG as I was able to take a few highway drives.

Other than that it runs just like it's supposed to.

I don't regret getting the fix at all. I would like to get a tune and keep the stock emissions equipment as I miss the lower end torque.

Anyone have any experience with getting a tune like Kerma where you can swap back to the original after their software update??