Oil Leak....cracked oil filter housing

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
As the title says, I developed a bad oil leak and tracked it down to a crack in the oil filter houseing.

Its hard to see but I have placed an arrow in the photo pointing to the crack. It does not look like much but it was amazing how much oil was coming out of the crack.

Anyone else ever seen this problem?

New housing arriving today from the local VW dealer. $176 + tax and new seals.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Looks like a high stress area in casting, especially if bolt was too tight, or if gasket or other thing was keeping casting from mating flat. Probably a fluke. Make sure it mates flat with a test fit without gasket, if all ok just put it back together (with gasket!!).

invader

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Looks like a high stress area in casting, especially if bolt was too tight, or if gasket or other thing was keeping casting from mating flat. Probably a fluke. Make sure it mates flat with a test fit without gasket, if all ok just put it back together (with gasket!!).
You may be right.
However, I have had the car for going on five yeas now, (156000 miles), and have never removed the housing. I am sure it is the original housing installed at the factory. It just suddenly cracked and started leaking. The new housing seemed to mate up just fine. Hopefully the new one will last for the life of the car.

So no one else has seen this? I guess this is just an anomaly then..