Coolant leak under the oil filter housing.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Under the oil filter there's this rectangular shaped thing to which hoses are connected. Coolant is dripping from it. Anyone know what this is, and what I need to replace exactly to fix the leak? I'll take a picture and post it once I find the camera's cord.

Edit: here's the image:

Last edited:

Mr Wizard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf 1.6 TDI (EU)
There are two gaskets that can be ordered from ID parts which seal it. You probably want to make sure that its the actual assembly leaking and not the hoses.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Those seals seal oil , not coolant. If you have a coolant leak, you have one of those hoses leaking, or the cooler itself has rusted away (never seen that, but maybe up 'narth').

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the replies. Drops of coolant are appearing out of nowhere on the housing, so I don't think it's a hose. Might be a crack or something.

Last edited:

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
Bump. Would it be safe to drive my car, or should I assume I have coolant in the oil?

edit: ok found the source of the leak. There's a bolt or something on the pipe next to the oil cooler that was rubbing against it, digging a hole into it and causing the leak. The hose wasn't supposed to be there, it was supposed to be attached to that rusty bar above the cooler. The hole is tiny, but I touched it with a screw driver and it started pissing. I pressed some epoxy putty over the hole, that should be a good temporary fix.

Last edited:

Mr Wizard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf 1.6 TDI (EU)
the oil cooler should be part of the primary look, not the radiator loop. As long as the leak is slow and you watch the tank you should be ok in the short term. If the leak though were to suddenly increase while driving you could loose it all and overheat. Would not recommend drive long distances and keeping a careful watch on the gauge.