2000 Beetle TDI for sale - may need turbo (!?) ...

jrzgirl

TDI
2010 TDI sportwagen
after spending $1600 at the dealer today my car still lacks power when accelerating. Dealer suggested $2000 for turbo which I declined.

I have the receipts to show what was done to this point - including checking air intake (it was clean), replaced valve intake, vacuum line to turbo actuator valve, checked EGR valve, replaced EGR cooler at which time they concluded it needed the turbo. Sadly, I cannot put any more money into this car at this time.

This has been a truly loved Beetle: well maintained, driven mostly highway miles and garage kept. It is not in perfect condition, but any imperfection is due to normal wear and tear. It has 144,000 miles and I had intended to drive it many more.:(

I have all maintenance records and had proactive front end, 4 tires and alignment work done only two months ago. It is a great car and still is very reliable. I will continue to drive it until someone makes an offer.

2000 Beetle, reflex silver, 5 sp, moonroof, cd changer in trunk, 2nd owner but have driving for 125K mi. Have original window sticker!

I am located in Northern New Jersey. I will take pictures for those interested.

Thank you!

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
I wouldn't give up on it yet. Probably something very very simple and you've just been bent-over big time by the dealership...either through incompetence or downright fraud. A simple dissasembly and thorough cleaning of the turbo may be all that is needed.

Post your story up in TDI 101 and you may find a solution and/or someone who actually knows how to fix it for not very much money. VW Dealer Service Dept = BAD...kryptonite for TDI's.

Good luck. If you were closer I'd love to take it off your hands.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
Its nice to see that a VW dealer has stolen once again. Thats how they treat a loyal VW owner. Makes me sick. Well... lets over charge and replace expensive worthless crap. lets bleed him dry, not fix the problem then send him out the door with a car that still is not fixed. I think we need a list of places not to go!!! Im tired of the incompetance.

Id return that stupid cooler and request your money back!!!! get a delete kit for next to nothing. then get your car to a guru.

$1600 dollars they need to be reported, ya its a tough economy, but not an excuse to &*^% people.!!!!

Last edited:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Jason is in Pt Jervis :)

Stop following around with the bozos.

NMRJock

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta DSG
Is the CEL on? Try unplugging the MAF and seeing if you get your power back.

Otherwise, if you like the car get it away from the dealer and to a guru. They'll be able to do an intake cleaning and whatever other maintanance needs done to make it right again and you can go on enjoying the car.

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
Needs a Maf.......at least you did not buy a turbo. ~100.00 or so for one.

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
Bump for a beetle. I'd be interested, but I have too many now.

Ditto on the comment to get the car to a guru. The dealers are not the way to go.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Dealers LOVE to throw turbos on it seems. It could be bad, but more than likely it is not. You should have someone else take a look.

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
No doubt she needs to find a mechanic from the forums familiar with these cars. It will save lots of $$$$$

jrzgirl

TDI
2010 TDI sportwagen
Thank you everyone for your comments. I do not know anyone who specializes in TDIs and I don't know what a CEL or MAF is. I will figure out how to search this website and read up on it. I am willing to try to get my 'old' car back!

I will also move my story to the TDI101 group. I need to find a good TDI mechanic in the NY metropolitan area - there must be someone out there!

BTW, why don't more people know about TDIs? I'm tired of people telling me I'm at the wrong pump : ) . It always generates interesting conversations w/people who marvel at it's outrageous mileage. VW has a real winner with these cars - They bury the hybrids in mileage and acceleration! Not to mention those tiny cars, you know what I mean.

Thanks again - Missy

jrzgirl

TDI
2010 TDI sportwagen
Thank you oilhammer, that NJ contact is not far from me. I will contact him.

Thanks also to those who sent me PM. I just took pictures (sorry, dirty ice storm pics) but you'll get the idea. I'll email them while I figure out how to upload to the website. also, pls. note - 142,000 mi., not 144K mistype.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Guys, I need your help convincing Missy she should keep her car. I PM'd her and found out that she's also having a symptom of a bad MAF sensor that I had -- the cruise control doesn't hold speed on hills. I've PM'd her instructions on how to take the MAF connection loose and take it for a drive. Her dealer claims to have checked the MAF, but with the cruise control issue along with the low-power issue, I think we've got a case of a bad MAF sensor.

Anyway, NO ONE BUY MISSY'S CAR BECAUSE SHE'S GOING TO FIX IT, AND CHEAPLY, TOO! :)

Bob S.

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A B4V, some ALHs & BRMs
frugality said:
Guys, I need your help convincing Missy she should keep her car. I PM'd her and found out that she's also having a symptom of a bad MAF sensor that I had -- the cruise control doesn't hold speed on hills. I've PM'd her instructions on how to take the MAF connection loose and take it for a drive. Her dealer claims to have checked the MAF, but with the cruise control issue along with the low-power issue, I think we've got a case of a bad MAF sensor.

Anyway, NO ONE BUY MISSY'S CAR BECAUSE SHE'S GOING TO FIX IT, AND CHEAPLY, TOO! :)
10/4. I have PMed' her and encouraged her to contact the locla guru before making any decisions about selling.

Missy, if you like the car it fits your needs, get to a good mechanic.

Be wary of the dealers. The Beetle I purchased in Oct. which the dealer diagnosed as a bad turbo was little more than a loose N75 connection and a dirty intake manifold. The dealer sent the car to a wholesaler because of the diagnosis. The wholesaler flogged it out.

Go directly to the Guru, don' even stop at the dealer.

Last edited:

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
oilhammer said:
I think everyone here would rather help her get it fixed than take it from her. :)
Yes, better to bring another member on board to enjoy the car rather than have her leave frustrated! ;)