Omaha, NE chat thread

CARTMATT

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 JETTA TDI DSG
Ordered timing tools and sockets. Get to pull head and replace valves, grr. Will do cam mods along with new belt and water pump while its apart. Darn vw stuff isnt cheap.

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
JETTA TDI 2009, JSW 2013 DSG PANO
How's everybody. Crazy weather. I got really close to have my car trashed by hail on Saturday coming from Kansas.

BrianGuy1979

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5spd
Hey everyone! I just thought I'd drop in and say hi. It's been a while since I have been on here! Thought I'd post a picture of the Jetta. She's coming around, slowly but surely!

BEFORE

BEFORE

AFTER

I got the flex pipe replaced and the cat reinstalled. I don't have a pic, but the muffler is back on too!

I pulled the headlights out to install new ones because they were really faded and pitted from all of the highway abuse....

They looked cool, but when I drove the car that night, they SUCKED. I was sent a defective set that had light all over the place and way off into oncoming traffic. I adjusted them to the right as far as they would go and they still were way off. I took them off and sent them back.

I just recently got a new set from the Ebay seller. I took it to the next level and installed HID's in the new headlights and used a jump box to power them up in my office and tried them out. PERFECT! Once I get these installed I will have a perfect flat line of projector HID low beams + hid high beam lights and TWO sets of HID fog lights going. Yes, two sets of fogs. The headlight assemblies have the fogs as well as the projector fog lights I installed in the lower grill inserts. If you look close in my pics behind the bra down low you can see them. She is going to light up the road that's for sure! However, I don't trust myself to wire the fogs up, so I am going to set an appointment up with Alex in Sioux Falls so he can wire the fogs to my factory fog switch AND make it look professional, not half ass as my wiring job would end up.

Well, that's all I got for now....thought I'd check in! :D

Last edited:

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
Great story, Brian. I was in the same situation as you (the job, not the marriage thing). I used my Golf for medical and bank courier work for about 5 years, and my usual route was 400 miles per day throughout North Texas and Oklahoma. That kind of duty is actually very easy on the car if the roads are good.

Still on the original clutch, engine, turbo and trans. Replaced the front suspension and IP at around 370K miles. That's the only major work that I've done on it.

Nice looking car!

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, this is a very weird post and I'm not crazy (my wife thinks I'm out of my mind).

Does anybody have a spare car that I can rent from June 30 to July 21st.

I have one car only and I need a car for that period of time, enterprise would cost too much.

My driving would be 20 miles per day (round trip) from the office to my house.
My Dad is in town for that period of time for some medical test and I need to work from home half day.

Off course I will pay you.

Hey I have nothing to loose, right maybe someone say "heck yes you can use this car and I can get some money".

I'm checking another options.

Hey Mr Rogers I got all my stuff for my 40k miles service.
Are you free on the weekends or just Wednesday? needs to do the DSG service.

BrianGuy1979

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5spd
Great story, Brian. I was in the same situation as you (the job, not the marriage thing). I used my Golf for medical and bank courier work for about 5 years, and my usual route was 400 miles per day throughout North Texas and Oklahoma. That kind of duty is actually very easy on the car if the roads are good.

Still on the original clutch, engine, turbo and trans. Replaced the front suspension and IP at around 370K miles. That's the only major work that I've done on it.

Nice looking car!

Sounds like our cars were/are being used for the same thing! Back in the day I was driving 400-800 miles per day (400 at the beginning of the career, 800 the last two years) hauling bank work from little towns outside of the big cities and then delivery back to the main hub unit in Omaha, NE, Des Moines, IA, and Lincoln, NE. Technology put me out of business. Once the banks figured out that they could scan all of their cashed checks and email them back to home base they no longer needed my services. One by one, they dropped like a rock. One client, then another and another until there was nothing left. Fast forward 6 years and I have the Jetta back and I am still using is for courier use! Every Saturday I take it on a 626 mile journey across NE and back delivery prescription drugs to a retirement/nursing home. It is still the best over the road car I have ever driven. I have well over a million documented courier miles under my belt in various cars and the Jetta by far is my favorite. The seats fit me like a glove, the heated seats feel oh so good, the mpg can't be beat, no tune ups to worry about and the look from truckers are priceless when you are at the truck stop fueling up and they are waiting on "YOU" as you try to get every last drop into the tank before you leave. Oh yes...without a doubt the best car I have ever owned!

Jayweh

TDI
None Currently
Hello to all fellow Nebraskans,
I currently do not have a TDI yet. I am looking for one and have been browsing this forum to get ideas on what to look for and what to stay away from. I came across this posting and decided I would say hi to some who may be able to assist with my endeavor into the TDI world.
I am looking for a TDI any model really, would prefer to stay away from the Beetle but would consider one in my price range with all specs.
Specs I would like to find
1999-2004
Manual 5 Speed
And hopefully within a $5000 budget.
Less than 200 miles away.
If anyone knows of any please notify me.

Last edited:

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
Sounds like our cars were/are being used for the same thing! Back in the day I was driving 400-800 miles per day (400 at the beginning of the career, 800 the last two years) hauling bank work from little towns outside of the big cities and then delivery back to the main hub unit in Omaha, NE, Des Moines, IA, and Lincoln, NE. Technology put me out of business. Once the banks figured out that they could scan all of their cashed checks and email them back to home base they no longer needed my services. One by one, they dropped like a rock. One client, then another and another until there was nothing left. Fast forward 6 years and I have the Jetta back and I am still using is for courier use! Every Saturday I take it on a 626 mile journey across NE and back delivery prescription drugs to a retirement/nursing home. It is still the best over the road car I have ever driven. I have well over a million documented courier miles under my belt in various cars and the Jetta by far is my favorite. The seats fit me like a glove, the heated seats feel oh so good, the mpg can't be beat, no tune ups to worry about and the look from truckers are priceless when you are at the truck stop fueling up and they are waiting on "YOU" as you try to get every last drop into the tank before you leave. Oh yes...without a doubt the best car I have ever owned!
Yep...the exact same thing, only I was doing medical specimen pickups as well as the bank work. You go to the doctor and pee in the cup, give a blood sample, or have your leg amputated :eek: and I'm the one who picks it up to take to the lab. Knowing you have a car full of bio-hazardous stuff, especially in the Golf (no trunk), makes you a VERY careful driver...LOL! The bank work was just like you described. Go to a bunch of little towns and pick up two large canvas pouches with interoffice mail and checks, and take them to the main hub, in my case, in Dallas.

It's fun work, and like you said, my Golf was the perfect vehicle for it. Satellite radio is a must though if you don't like gospel or country music. All I know is that the car performed flawlessly (and still is), and I was never tired or sore after a full day behind the wheel. Amazing cars, these.

BrianGuy1979

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5spd
Hello to all fellow Nebraskans,
I currently do not have a TDI yet. I am looking for one and have been browsing this forum to get ideas on what to look for and what to stay away from. I came across this posting and decided I would say hi to some who may be able to assist with my endeavor into the TDI world.
I am looking for a TDI any model really, would prefer to stay away from the Beetle but would consider one in my price range with all specs.
Specs I would like to find
1999-2004
Manual 5 Speed
And hopefully within a $5000 budget.
Less than 200 miles away.
If anyone knows of any please notify me.

This is the only one that I could find in your price and era and the damn thing is an automatic! :( Well, you could always send it to Sioux Falls and have Alex swap it to an manual! He's got ya covered!
http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/d...=lakemanawa&car_id=297363644&dealer_id=563906

Last edited:

BrianGuy1979

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5spd
Yep...the exact same thing, only I was doing medical specimen pickups as well as the bank work. You go to the doctor and pee in the cup, give a blood sample, or have your leg amputated :eek: and I'm the one who picks it up to take to the lab. Knowing you have a car full of bio-hazardous stuff, especially in the Golf (no trunk), makes you a VERY careful driver...LOL! The bank work was just like you described. Go to a bunch of little towns and pick up two large canvas pouches with interoffice mail and checks, and take them to the main hub, in my case, in Dallas.

It's fun work, and like you said, my Golf was the perfect vehicle for it. Satellite radio is a must though if you don't like gospel or country music. All I know is that the car performed flawlessly (and still is), and I was never tired or sore after a full day behind the wheel. Amazing cars, these.
Oh heck yeah you gotta have the satellite radio! :) When I was working 12-15hrs a day on the road I had the satellite radio and a laptop mounted on a laptop pedestal to keep me company. Yeah, I know it wasn't the safest thing to do, but I had the laptop's speakers plugged into the face of my CD/MP3 player with a sub in the trunk. I could pop in a DVD and watch a movie as I cruised down the road and enjoy the surround sound! I also had a wireless card in it so I could surf the net too if I got bored. I never missed a Ebay auction while I worked!! lol Mix that all together with the comphy HEATED seats and COLD AC (See me breath when I blew by the vents) it was/is the perfect courier car!

I remember those real thick bags with the locking zipper on them. They would be jammed full of interoffice mail in the morning and I would bring back the cashed checks on my return trip. Green bags for US Bank and yellow lighter bags for my Wells Fargo account. I think I still have a bag in my garage somewhere actually! lol It was the best job ever. But then technology put me out of business. After the digital scanning equipment made it's way into the banks I started to loose one account after another. Why pay me to deliver all the checks when they could just scan it and email it back to home base? I have to ask....how are you still doing it? Maybe the bank you are running for is not up to speed? I would think they would be considering this was back in early 2006.

Jayweh

TDI
None Currently
This is the only one that I could find in your price and era and the damn thing is an automatic! :( Well, you could always send it to Sioux Falls and have Alex swap it to an manual! He's got ya covered!
http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/d...=lakemanawa&car_id=297363644&dealer_id=563906
Yes I have seen this one. I think I am going to have to be willing to travel a bit more to get a great deal on one that I want. I have found a few in Texas.
Keep me posted if you guys run across anything, Thank you

AFTiggerIntel

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS
So I finally got time to sit down and type up how my trip last month went. Towing with the JSW using a 4'x8' trailer filled to the top with approximately 1k of stuff in it netted 33mpg average from Nebraska to Ohio. Yes, I even went 70mph and didn't have a single problem with it. Downside? The guys at the first U-Haul I picked up didn't know how to hook a damn trailer up nor did they bother to check to make sure their trailer was sound. Ended up fixing their job and then getting it home and having to swap it for a different one.

Trip from Ohio to Washington DC got 40-46mpg depending on who was leading. If my twin was leading in mom's Jetta then I got about 40. If I was leading then I did 46 because I actually took my time and slowed down rather than speeding at 10-15mph over the speed limit. I did end up leading a 4 TDI convoy coming up I-95. We had mine, mom's, then picked up two more just randomly. Brother in law's brother drove his Jetta TDI up from North Carolina then drooled over mine because it's pretty.

My brother in law and his brother actually fought over who was going to do a loop in mine around the Washington Monument while I took my mom down to the Vietnam Memorial. It came to me downloading a coin toss app on my phone just to make it fair. Brother in law won the toss and then had fun scaring the three backseat drivers (my two kids and his) as he played with the TDI.

My son is getting to the point he knows exactly how to start the TDI. He coached his Uncle Chris on how to start both Grandma's and mine when we were getting ready for our trip. It was pretty entertaining listening to his explanation about glow plugs and why you need them. He started off saying "it's not a normal car, it's a dieeseel!"

Jay - There's a Jetta in Miamisburg, Ohio which is about 740 miles from Bellevue for 3,995. I'm sure you could talk them down from that price too. The dealer is known to be reasonable from past dealings in that area. I actually grew up about 20 minutes away from them and my cousin bought a vehicle from them about 4 years ago with no complaints.

BRADFORDKO

TDI
2004 Golf TDI
Will do a timing best this long weekend

Using the great guides from TDICLUB I will tackle my first timing belt job for my 2004 Golf TDI (BEW). I have done alot of car work over the years but his is my first TDI Timing belt /water pump/etc job.

Expecting my Dieselgeeks deluxe time belt kit before the weekend:

http://www.dieselgeek.com/

I have my tools are ready and my willing partner to lend a hand. Wish me luck!

Ken
Plattsmouth, NE
2004 Golf TDI

AFTiggerIntel

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS
Good luck Ken! Our mechanic, who hates all diesels, did my mom's in January. I had to help him figure it out and printed the guide off for him so he had a step by step in addition to his computer program. The only thing he had to get in addition to the kit was a crank seal (if you have to, make sure you take the old one in because they can be a mm off and be the same part number). Our mechanic now likes the Jetta but still hates all other diesels. He's looking for a TDI now too.

BrianGuy1979

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5spd
Using the great guides from TDICLUB I will tackle my first timing belt job for my 2004 Golf TDI (BEW). I have done alot of car work over the years but his is my first TDI Timing belt /water pump/etc job.

Expecting my Dieselgeeks deluxe time belt kit before the weekend:

http://www.dieselgeek.com/

I have my tools are ready and my willing partner to lend a hand. Wish me luck!

Ken
Plattsmouth, NE
2004 Golf TDI

Good luck! You are much braver than me! Heck, I replaced my leaky intercooler yesterday and now that car has NO boost. Lovely. Now I have to rip the bumper skin off yet again to figure out where I went wrong. I replaced it from a Golf 1.8T and they looked 100% identical, so there shouldn't have been a problem with the product......We'll see!

CARTMATT

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 JETTA TDI DSG
They are super easy! The tools align it for you so no guessing. Put tensioner in slots, pull pins, turn by hand and put pins back to double check. Have new water pump there when pull old to swap fast, will lose much less coolant. I learned on my brm you dont even have to remove motor mounts, can pull tensioner stud.

Brianguy1979. Did your intercooler hose pop out, Ive had mine pop out of the clip twice on the outlet side to intake before fixing pin. If not losing pressure somewhere.

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
Does anybody have the tool to charge the freon gas ? my A/C is chill but not cold and I'm guessing I need to re-charge the freon gas.

Any place brand in particular you use to re-charge your A/C?

Went to Chicago this weekend, lots of TDI's back there.

Getting close to have my HID's ready, I will post some pics soon.

AFTiggerIntel

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS
I know the R-134 kits come with the parts to recharge the freon (leak kit or normal refill). The problem I see is if it is for your 09 then what's causing it to leak this early in it's lifecycle? My husband and I had the compressor go out in a 2005 Ford FiveHundred which blew cool, not cold, air unless you were sitting still. Does yours blow cool when sitting still? If it doesn't then it could be the compressor and recharging won't solve anything.

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
I hope I just need to recharge, lots of driving with the A/C ON on 100+ degrees.
A/C blows cold air,not as cold as before sitting still but cold.
Two trips to TEXAS and one to Arizona makes me wonder is time for a re-charge.

MrRogers, Performance have the new PASSAT TDI ready for testing, that thing is huge. It's nice, interiors are better. I would go back for a test drive.

Anybody looking for a set of used OEM tires with 15k miles on it 205/55/16 I think that's the size, I will double check, tires are laying in my garage for a year nothing wrong I just dont have any use for it..

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
Look what the thursday storm left for me at the airport paking lot.
80% of the car has damage
Oh well I hope the insurance wont try to avoid fix it.

You cant see the real damage in the pictures, its a lot.

And i have to say my car was not destroyed as other cars in the lot.
Some cars where damaged even inside after the windows exploded

Oh well we had a nice vacation in Scottsdale!!!

GR8GIFT

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG LE
I had my 10,000 mile service on my 2011 TDI at Performance VW in Omaha today. Nice service department great service too.

tomee638

TDI
Looking to buy
So I told my wife a week or so ago that I wanted to get a TDI and we have had some talk about it but I was thinking probably next summer. Well she just totaled her 2000 Plymouth Neon this morning so....anyone know where I can get maybe a 2002 or 2006 VW Jetta TDI? Also, how much is the B-99 at Nebraska Iowa Supply Company and can a stock car run 99% biodiesel? I haven't had time to look up yet. I'm going to do it now. Thanks for any help!

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Look what the thursday storm left for me at the airport paking lot.
80% of the car has damage
Oh well I hope the insurance wont try to avoid fix it.

You cant see the real damage in the pictures, its a lot.

And i have to say my car was not destroyed as other cars in the lot.
Some cars where damaged even inside after the windows exploded

Oh well we had a nice vacation in Scottsdale!!!
THAT SUCKS MAN! Your car looked great too! :(

Well You could always upgrade. I did drive the Passat they have in Lincoln and I'm in love, just that the numbers aren't going to work out just yet so I will wait. It will be the next car I purchase though. I never, ever park in long term and now I DEFINITELY will never do it.

So I told my wife a week or so ago that I wanted to get a TDI and we have had some talk about it but I was thinking probably next summer. Well she just totaled her 2000 Plymouth Neon this morning so....anyone know where I can get maybe a 2002 or 2006 VW Jetta TDI? Also, how much is the B-99 at Nebraska Iowa Supply Company and can a stock car run 99% biodiesel? I haven't had time to look up yet. I'm going to do it now. Thanks for any help!
I don't have any leads on cars but you can run B100 in all the cars "up to" the 2009/10 models without issue. If for some reason I decide it is going to work to get out of my 2006 WELL MAINTAINED and cared for Jetta soon, I will let you know. Chances are, you can't be without the 2nd vehicle too long so probably won't work out but I will keep you in mind if you end up holding out.

Jettawolfs98

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, the insurance company is fixing my car (total repairs cost $7000.00 bucks ouch).
Luckily I'm just paying the deductible $250.00

It's like getting a new car without buying a new car hahahaha.

I did drive the Passat too, nice but like you said not on my budget right now.

I'm taking the car back to the body shop on the 19th and they say it will take close to three weeks to fix it.

tomee638

TDI
Looking to buy
From some pretty basic research it looks like I should be considering more than just the Jetta. So I'm expanding my search to Golf, Passat, and Jetta's. Hard to find around here but I'm looking at KC and Minneapolis too. I might have roped a super cheap Honda Fit (Gas), so we'll see how that pans out.

When you say "any cars" do you mean any TDIs or any Jetta's? I like the Jetta's but the Passat's look almost exactly the same. I haven't come close enough to buying yet (mostly cause I can't find one) so I haven't actually sat in either car. But the pics look very similar. Thanks for the info!

AFTiggerIntel

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS
I know the 2012 Passat TDI that they have over at Performance is about the same length as my Jetta Sportwagen TDI. I had it parked next to it last Friday.

Tomee - How does this one look? It's in Iowa City but was the cheapest one I found out of searching 4 sites. I didn't check eBay for it though.

tomee638

TDI
Looking to buy
Cheryl,
Thank you very much for actually looking for cars for me but the link isn't working. I'm still looking on several sites as well as eBay (don't think I want to buy on eBay) for either a Jetta or Passat. I'm going to spend probably between 6 or 8k on either a 02 or 06.