Good Job! NHTSA investigation

candywhite

TDI
09jsw
Kudos to all of you who did not just decide to accept VW's arrogance.
Now to hope that a real investigation of the extent and prevalence of the problem happens.

ErikR

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI pk2 5-spd Black/Black
Can you guys fill me in a bit more, did I miss a post? Sounds like the board is looking into the premature manual trans clutch failures in A5's. I'd give a 0% chance of getting reimbursed from VW, but again I'm just looking for some more info...

ajlockfeld

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG Pano Silver/Anth
Glad to see that an investigation was opened. Now VW has to respond. It is peculiar that it is described as a manual transmission. All the complaints (including mine) were filed as automatic transmission. Either NHTSA decided it is really a manual or somebody goofed.

I sent an email to VW customer CARE and got back a response allegedly from a real person (some of it sounded like automatically generated responses) although he didn't seem to understand the problem. The response claims that VWoA monitors 3rd party internet discussion sites (such as this one?) to get a handle on emerging problems. They seem kind of behind the curve on this one.....

ErikR

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI pk2 5-spd Black/Black
Ok I see the attachment now. Still don't think this has a chance in hell to amount to anything.

candywhite

TDI
09jsw
ErikR said:
Ok I see the attachment now. Still don't think this has a chance in hell to amount to anything.
Hopefully it won't and it was just an isolated run of bad sensors or installations. But this will make it more difficult for VW to avoid responsibility and may make it easier on those of us who have had to deal with VW service.
This is also how recalls begin and could save a life in the future. Even one will amount to a whole lot. It may prevent the experience some of us have had on the road which I would not wish on anyone.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I see that there were 15 complaints about the rough shifts, so I'll be adding one more to that number.

Last edited:

Azone

TDI
2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
Excellent. We only had this problem once, and that's when we were getting out of the parking lot, and when in drive, the car was in neutral. Hasn't happened since, but if it does, this is good.

Anomie

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta DSG
El Dobro said:
I see that were 15 complaints about the rough shifts, so I'll be adding one more to that number.
I was trying to be optimistic about the rough downshifts when coming to a stop, but after driving a friend's 08/09 Audi A3 with DSG, I'm really starting to take note that this is an unacceptable amount of lurch. I think I'll add to this list.

Where's that link again...?

05_new_jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
MKV Jetta TDI
what about the cam problem?? where are they on that?? what number do all of us need to call to complain on that, because I'm sure it'll be higher than 15..