www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old June 22nd, 2020, 19:42   #1
cb1
Veteran Member

Default 2005 passat throttle flap

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184324674141
does anybody know if this will fit my car...?the part# matches but the car it fit doesnt
cb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2020, 23:04   #2
DeliveryValve
Veteran Member

Can't help you on the eBay part verification, but that flap has nothing to do with throttle.
Old June 24th, 2020, 09:42   #3
50harleyrider
Veteran Member

that lap controls airflow and is indirectly a part of throttle. It is controlled by the ecu , not your foot. I just replaced one on one of my passats
50harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2020, 10:06   #4
DeliveryValve
Veteran Member

It’s actually called a Regulating Flap or also known as an Anti-Shutter Valve (ASV). The flap works in conjunction with the EGR, and it smooths (no shutter) the shut down of the engine in closing off air into the cylinders. It can also help in shutting down a runaway diesel.
If you can trick/reprogram the computer, you can run the engine without a regulating flap, but I wouldn't do it for safety sake.

Old June 24th, 2020, 18:59   #5
cb1
Veteran Member

i know what it does..i have a check engine light on because of it...if i leave it plug in the car runs poorly,right now i have it disconnected...planning to sell the car but would like to fix it before i do..i believe the ebay part is from china...
Old June 24th, 2020, 19:00   #6
cb1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50harleyrider View Post
that lap controls airflow and is indirectly a part of throttle. It is controlled by the ecu , not your foot. I just replaced one on one of my passats
did you buy it from the dealer??i can get a used one for $120 but no warranty...
Old July 2nd, 2020, 18:38   #7
cb1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliveryValve View Post
Itís actually called a Regulating Flap or also known as an Anti-Shutter Valve (ASV). The flap works in conjunction with the EGR, and it smooths (no shutter) the shut down of the engine in closing off air into the cylinders. It can also help in shutting down a runaway diesel.
If you can trick/reprogram the computer, you can run the engine without a regulating flap, but I wouldn't do it for safety sake.

so my car runs ok with it disconected but when i plug it in it idles rough...is that a common symptom??i just need to make sure before i spent over $300 for a new one...
Old July 8th, 2020, 08:58   #8
DeliveryValve
Veteran Member

I would assume it would be the issue. But what does obd2 say?
Old July 8th, 2020, 10:24   #9
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

You need to diagnose your problem.

Semantics aside (different manufacturers call this part different things), it is there to increase EGR flow as its primary purpose on that engine. So chances are something is wrong with the EGR (which is a different part) and/or the MAF (another part) or a bad leak somewhere.

But the regulating flap can also do some strange things if the internal electronics get messed up. Your specific DTC would be helpful, but on the BHW if it has a regulating flap position related DTC, then chances are pretty good it is in fact the problem. Never seen a BHW have a wire harness problem like the BRMs do.

So yes, that eBay part looks to be the one, but I would not get anything like that from a place like that. I'd get the real deal from a reputable place.
Old July 10th, 2020, 20:49   #10
cb1
Veteran Member

issue started after i put the egr cooler back so i will check the egr valve first...the code was for the asv if i remember correctly but not sure...will check the codes also whenever i get time..thanks everybody for the advise....
Old July 17th, 2020, 18:43   #11
cb1
Veteran Member

ok..so had too many fault codes stored that i created by disconnecting the egr valve,regulating flap and maf....the egr was sticking open,i cleaned it and now it closes on its own,put it all back together,cleared codes and so far so good...i did have some hesiation,rough idle this morning but no check engine light so far...i have a generic scanner with me so next time it acts up ill be able to check it right away...
Old August 1st, 2020, 19:16   #12
cb1
Veteran Member

codes for glow plugs came back,found 2 bad ones and replaced them...so far no check engine light but at times it idles rough,specially cold starts...i rev the engine and it idles ok...seems to be geting worse but without a check engine light not sure what to do..
Old Yesterday, 00:41   #13
afarfalla
Veteran Member

where in Texas are you and how much you want or the car the way it is
afarfalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 16:16   #14
cb1
Veteran Member

in houston...will put it up for sale soon...will ask $3800 for it...