www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old August 1st, 2020, 17:49   #1
Andyinchville1
Veteran Member

Default //// Help me choose a downpipe ////

HI all,

Looking to get some PM work done to my car and I figure while stuff is being worked on / apart might as well upgrade a little too.

I know many people say the stock intake and exhaust are sufficient for a relatively stock situation like mine but I did have a relatively stock 1993 Dodge with the Cummins and a 4" straight pipe from turbo and it sounded sweet , had lower EGTs (not that I had EGT issues tho) and helped with fuel economy (granted some of that may have been the result of me babying it more after the exhaust upgrade since it was pretty loud and I didn't want to get grief from the man so I figured I'd do the same to the Jetta.

Anyways, I would like some input to help me make a choice ...

I am currently debating between ID parts 2.5 inch down pipe and Kerma's 3" downpipe.

1) I have a question regarding flow .... According to ID Parts, their 2.5 inch downpipe features a custom cast piece to gradually "flair up" to the 2.5" diameter downpipe pipe (I'm guessing this is similar to what my Dodge system had as far as a transitional "cone" to smooth / help prevent turbulence as the exhaust gas flows out of the turbo

I am not sure if Kerma's down pipe has the same feature ... i.e. a smooth transition from the turbo exhaust outlet to the 3" pipe..

Given the above, which downpipe flows better the 2.5" with smooth transition or the 3" non transition downpipe ?

2) Does the optional resonator make a real difference in drone reduction ?

Thanks in advance for all input / help

Andrew

FWIW - At the same time I'm upgrading the exhaust I am also going to install (or have installed) a BRM intake manifold with adapter (it's only been sitting in my shed for what seems like a year by now!) to help the intake side as well ...

Last edited by Andyinchville1; August 1st, 2020 at 17:52.
Andyinchville1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2020, 20:21   #2
ghohouston
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40 Mpg

If you're installing exhaust, just go with 3" turbo back. No where close to as loud as a 12 valve, but sounds great through the rpm range. Almost like a mini cummins
ghohouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2020, 20:36   #3
Andyinchville1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghohouston View Post
If you're installing exhaust, just go with 3" turbo back. No where close to as loud as a 12 valve, but sounds great through the rpm range. Almost like a mini cummins
HI

I see you have the same system on your car ... did you get the resonator option?

How is the drone or is there much of it ?... did you get any gains in mileage ?

I think it may be worth it just for the sound and possible weight savings tho...! (it's good if its not as loud as the cummims because that did pound on my head for long drives (of course the sheet metal interior with no floor mats or carpets probably didn't help!).

Thanks

Last edited by Andyinchville1; August 1st, 2020 at 20:39.
Andyinchville1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2020, 11:55   #4
ghohouston
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40 Mpg

Mine is straight piped. There really isn't any drone. Mine exits a little beyond the rear tire, at probably a 60 degree angle, I attribute this as the reason I don't have much drone. No mileage difference. Spool up is definitely improved with the larger exhaust/ straight pipe.
ghohouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2020, 15:40   #5
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

unless your going nuts with your build, or you just simply want a full 3"
don't
go 2.5. much easier to work with and get things around. sound will be as nice.
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote