www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old June 22nd, 2020, 06:37   #46
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

A lot of what you say is true, but doesn't negate the fact it is buyer beware. If you fail to educate yourself you put yourself at risk.
Old June 30th, 2020, 18:59   #47
mydecember1985
Veteran Member

Add me to the list. I'll be dropping the same story in the "what problems have you had post-fix" thread

2013 JSW
6SPD MT
38,300 miles on car
9,800 miles post-fix

Within a few weeks of buying the car in October, I noticed regens were happening about every 210-240 miles. Almost twice the frequency of our '11 that we turned in during buyback. Just assumed it was part of the software patch. I am religious about letting them complete. Maybe 1 in 10 I cut off after only a few minutes of cycling. Other times, I just pass by the house and drive an extra 15 miles til I hear the fans quiet down. Service rep says so many people have no idea what a regen is and even less know not to interrupt them so it's odd that mine failed.

Light came on 2 weeks ago. Made appointment. Dealer did a forced regen. Reset light. Drive home. comes on next day. appointment to ditch it overnight 2 days later. Got news yesterday that they found excess soot in the DPF. No cracks. Deemed it needed to be replaced. I asked if technician pressure tested the charge side. Said no but might try it next time it's in.

Backorder for DPFs is currently 4-6 weeks. I will park it as much as possible but drive it ~2 days a week when the wife needs her car.

Technician didn't put it back together very well. I can easily hear the turbo dumping pressure out of the exhaust/DPF. Video here
https://youtu.be/W2IQ7kFHsKY

awaiting response if dealer wants to investigate leak

NOTES:
I do use 2oz OptiLube XL fuel additive (did not tell dealer) each fill up
Oil is VW 507.00 spec Motul Xclean 8100 5W-30. Changed at 6,000 miles since purchase. Now just over 3,500 miles on that oil.

mydecember1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2020, 05:05   #48
Matt927
Veteran Member

TDI(s): several

Second replacement DPF soon under the emissions fix/warranty, this one lasted 40k.

CJAA engine
Matt927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2020, 07:15   #49
flargabarg
Veteran Member

Any chance the additive is causing a problem?
flargabarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2020, 03:36   #50
Matt927
Veteran Member

TDI(s): several

Quick update, my last DPF lasted 26,000 miles. I thought it was 40,000.

I do not see how a fuel additive like Optilube would cause DPF failure.
Matt927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2020, 03:24   #51
johnsTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: oh gosh alot better than burning Gasoline.?

On my 2012 VW TDI i got over 150,000 km's im prety sure its the original dpf still on the car i bought it used at 100.000 km's still no trouble or engine lights on i have had to do a few regens when the Yellow DPF light came on but when it did come on i would drive it over 2000 rpm and shortly afterword it would reset and light would go out. other German vehicles have DPF's that too plug up but can be cleaned out along with the source cause that gets them dirty as this guy in the video explaines from everyones comments on here sounds like VW DPF's are faulty or defective.? so im not sure what to beleive you would think the dealer would try a good cleaning like this shown.?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUjlc4y034Q
johnsTDI is offline   Reply With Quote