www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > OBD Scanners

OBD Scanners Discussions on using On Board Diagnostic (OBD) scanners/ Diagnostic Equipment related to TDIs

Old January 16th, 2020, 09:14   #136
HyperMPG

Default Help with two codes Please

Greetings from Vermont.
My 2002 Jetta tdi developed a rough start and idle when cold. Scan code said:
P0101 MAF or VAF A Circuit Range/ Performance
And
P0402 P EGR Flow Excessive

Can anyone recommend a plan of attack in trouble shooting the issue?
Would like to fix it myself.
HyperMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2020, 12:57   #137
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Start here
Ross-Tech
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2020, 17:11   #138
Danzee

TDI(s): Audi B8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santos_V View Post
Thanks, I'll continue answering any other VCDS related "sales" questions in this thread as needed. Just Ask!

OK, since you offered . . .
Since the VCDS HEX-V2 USB tool is limited to 3 or 10 VINs, is it still not possible to move from one computer to another without a limitation on the number of moves?

I seems to me that the VIN number limits would protect Ross-Tech from misuse. Portability from one laptop to another is a worry for me.

Dan
Danzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2020, 18:23   #139
JSWTDI09
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzee View Post
OK, since you offered . . .
Since the VCDS HEX-V2 USB tool is limited to 3 or 10 VINs, is it still not possible to move from one computer to another without a limitation on the number of moves?

I seems to me that the VIN number limits would protect Ross-Tech from misuse. Portability from one laptop to another is a worry for me.

Dan

I'm not Santos, but I can answer your question. VCDS is VIN limited. This only applies to how many cars you can do "advanced" functions on. VCDS is in no way PC limited (except for the old VCDS-Lite program). You can download the VCDS program and install it on any computers you want. The license to run the program is in the interface cable and you can only hook the cable up to one car at a time. The cable must be present for the program to function and the number of VINs used is stored in the interface itself, not the computer. I have used several different computers with my interface cable. The only downside to using different computers is that log files will be saved on different computers.

Have Fun!

Don

JSWTDI09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2020, 06:16   #140
jef@rosstech
Associate Ross-Tech Vendor
w/Business number

One of the benefits of owning a Ross-Tech kit is you can end up becoming an unpaid sales rep for Ross-Tech. We thank you for your services!

Something I'll add on the 3VIN or 10VIN topic. Registered customers who have run out of VINs can upgrade for a fee to the next VIN level:

• 3 VINs upgrades to 10VIN total
  • 10VINs upgrades to unlimited VINs
Details here:
https://store.ross-tech.com/shop/upVIN

Regards.

What should you do first with VCDS? AUTOSCAN!

Last edited by jef@rosstech; January 27th, 2020 at 06:18.
jef@rosstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2020, 17:38   #141
rsmith150

TDI(s): 03 Jetta Tdi
Default vagcom and injection pump timming

Sorry I have no idea where to post this i'm new to the site I just changed the timing belt on my 03 vw jetta tdi (332,000 miles) last weekend and I am wondering if it is necessary to use the vagcom to "time" the injection pump? I locked everything in place and the job went well. the car runs and drives great. I do not have a vagcom system nor do i know someone that has one. is it necessary to take it to a shop to have it "timed"? it runs great, still gets great millage, and starts first try every time. I have driven it for a week want to know if i am posing certain risks or if it should be good to go? thanks for the advice in advance. Feel free to move this post to a better place in the forms if you know how. (champagne IL area)
rsmith150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2020, 06:31   #142
jef@rosstech
w/Business number

I've done many timing belts and when I checked the start of injection it was well within factory specs. And the other 94% of the time I had to make adjustments to get the timing to factory specs. To that end, you really need to check the start of injection so you can verify it is in fact correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEguZWbEE9g

Just FYI, our HEX-V2 starts off at only $199. I would hazard a guess that if you paid a shop to adjust the timing so it is to factory specs, you've be paying about half that. To that end, if you use VCDS 2 or 3 times, you've recouped your investment.

Old July 29th, 2020, 06:43   #143
VWMark
Veteran Member

Hi all! I'm SUPER new to this scan tool universe, so please bear with me. I'm interested in getting a Ross Tech Scan tool, but I'm so new, I have no idea what I want/need. We've got a number of VW's in the household, as does my brother. Yes, I've read through the forums and lots of stuff on their website. I'm not looking to do anything advanced, mostly stuff like checking and resetting codes, resetting Inspection reminders, programming window functions, etc. Does any of that require VIN registration, or can that stuff be done on an unlimited number of cars? We have the following cars in the family:

Mine:
2015 VW Golf Sportwagon SEL TDI
2016 VW Jetta Sport 1.8T
2016 Audi Q3 Prestige
2018 VW Tiguan SEL

Brother:
2016 VW Golf R
2012 VW GTI
2015 VW Tiguan

Any info would be appreciated, or point me to more reading!

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited by VWMark; July 29th, 2020 at 07:00.
VWMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2020, 07:20   #144
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Best bet is to call them and talk. They should be able to answer any questions you may have.
Old July 29th, 2020, 09:15   #145
jef@rosstech
w/Business number

We have an FAQ on the topic of VIN limits and what is allowed:

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...-Interface-FAQ

So some of the things VWMark is asking about does require the VIN to be locked in to perform those kind of request/functions (resetting Inspection reminders, programming window functions).

But to read and clear fault codes does not require a VIN to be locked in, so you can technically do full Auto-Scans on every new car at the VW and Audi dealer with even a 3VIN unit, and then request to clear DTCs as needed.

If you have additional questions, give us a call. https://www.ross-tech.com/contact.php

I will also point out, for anyone who lives outside of USA, I would suggest you purchase from a distributor and not our web site. It may look like it is cheaper to purchase directly from our web site, but it won't be after you factor in international shipping and whatever VAT your government charges.