Why Jetta Sportwagen?

irondogger

TDI
'12 Sportwagen TDI
Does anyone know why VW sells the Sportwagen under the Jetta badge? It is a Golf variant as I found out when I ordered a fog-light from Riverside VW. I mean look at the title of the of this group of discussions.

L8r,.......irondogger

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Jetta is perceived to be a more expensive line than the Golf over here. The JSW isn't cheap.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Because the Jetta's popularity is unique to the American market. Jetta sedans are not popular in Europe, many buyers in that size/price range prefer hatchbacks. And the Bora Variant (European MKIV Jetta Wagon) was only sold in the UK, the rest of Europe got the same car with a Golf nose.

Having a sedan and wagon with the most popular model name in the US makes sense, just as having a hatch and wagon with the most popular model name in Europe makes sense.

Ted Hurst

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
It's a Golf Variant. In the US the MKV was called a Jetta which shares the same bones as the Sportwagen.

Last edited:

troutbum1971

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI sold... 2012 Jetta TDI sold 13 JSW DSG w/ sunroof
Over here the jetta limousine is an old man car.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Most US buyers associate the Golf nameplate with a hatch which is supposed to be a bad thing in the US. Therefore, (with Mongo accent!) Golf bad, jetta good.

In the past, all three products were built on the same platform with the only difference being the number of doors and length of car behind the rear wheels. In it's current setup, it's more Golf than Jetta sedan.

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
In Canada it's called a Golf Wagen - only the US market thinks it's still a Jetta. I've heard that's soon to change so it'll be a Golf across the board.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Perhaps VW will go with Jetta (sedan), Golf (hatch), and Sportswagen.

jet_a

TDI
2015 Passat
The OP asked about Sportwagens. That would be 2009+ in the US.
Pardon me, I stand corrected!

I'd be in favor of dropping Jetta from the name - just "SportWagen". I don't think "Variant" would catch on in US market.

v1k1ng01

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4Door DSG (Sold)
I personally hope they change the JSW name to Golf. Calling the car a Jetta is silly if it doesn't look like one.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I like the suggestion of VW just going with "Sportwagen".....like the way Subaru's Legacy Outback just became the Outback.

I don't like Golf anyway. Frisbee Golf, O.K. But I don't want to drive something that sounds like a pansy sport. :D (and yes, I do know 'Golf' means 'Gulf' in German) 'Sportwagen' is definitely cooler. :)