ZF Tiptronic

011coach

TDI
A6/V6
Does anyone know if a 5hp24a will bolt up to an Audi A6 Avant 2.5 V6 TDI Quattro (C5)? I'm looking for a stronger auto box to mate with the 2.5l.

Last edited:

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
It'll fit the engine, but its unlikely it'll fit the body shell. The V8 C5s ran this transmission, but they had a wider tunnel to make room for it. The front subframe is also wider at the rear mounting points.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They might be wider, but they are still a major pain to get in and out unless you just completely REMOVE the subframe totally from the car. You have to roll the trans on its side, drop it down on one side, then straighten it and wiggle it through the other side. Which is easier said than done considering how heavy and awkward they are.

I don't think there is a huge difference in the internals between the two, though. Mainly the front final drive case.

They use the 5HP19 with biturbo 2.7L V6s, I'd think they'd be OK with the 2.5L TDI.

Mikkijayne

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi S8
Not much difference no. The 5HP24 is equally as unreliable as the 5HP19. Just bigger and heavier.

I presume you have a very sound reason for wanting to keep it auto rather than just putting an 01E 6-speed in it, which is bolt-in and practically indestructible?

011coach

TDI
A6/V6
I presume you have a very sound reason for wanting to keep it auto rather than just putting an 01E 6-speed in it, which is bolt-in and practically indestructible?
I just like it; it's a cruiser. In sports car or Jeep, definitely the manual. But I prefer keeping my hand on the lady as opposed to a "stick". :D

Seriously though, I know I can upgrade the torque converter, clutch packs, and valve body in the 5hp19, but it can get expensive if it wont hold together from the torque of a tuned 2.5tdi and have to do it again. Torque could get upwards of 700Nm. Even with an 01E, the flywheel starts to shudder...

Anyway, I'm just trying to figure what my options are.

Last edited: