Downgrading? r520s to Sprint 520 with vnt17/22...

sman

TDI
2001 Beetle 1.9l ALH, 2006 Beetle 1.9l BEW
I've been around these forums for a while and to most of my questions I usually find an answer by searching.* This time I couldn't find what I'm looking for.* I'm considering tuning down my car and going back to bosio sprint 520s for eco tune...what I have on the car is vnt17/22, 3 bar map, Kerma's OMI, egr delete with race pipe, pd150 intake, race 520 nozzles, southbend endurance clutch and stage 4 rc tune.* Clutch started slipping in 4th/5th gear under full load, slips for a second then catches on.* I don't want to mess with the clutch right (just spent a ton of $$$ on suspension overhaul).* Car smokes with current tune and nozzles under 1/2 or more throttle which is fine (I would prefer no smoke)* Power is awesome but for now I need to tune it down and focus on MPG's until I decide if I'll be getting another clutch or keeping this car as a daily driver and having another as a toy.* So the dilemma is whether to put the Bosio sprint 520s back in (they have 20,000 miles on them) and tuning it down* or keeping r520s and see if Jeff can tune it down...what do you guys think?* This is on a 2001 beetle ALH 5 speed.* Thanks!

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Have Jeff pull some fuel out of the tune. Adjusting the tune is always a better option than running mismatched tune/hardware.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
^^^ I agree, have Jeff modify your tune rather than taking the "changing hardware" option. And not to be a d!ck, but the largest portion of your fuel economy is controlled with your right foot.

Have Jeff write you a "clutch saver" Stage 2 or so tune. Your car will still be fun to drive, but you won't have to worry about your clutch dying too soon.

Last edited:

sman

TDI
2001 Beetle 1.9l ALH, 2006 Beetle 1.9l BEW
Thanks guys, that was what I was hoping for. I just wasn't sure if r520s were too big to dial back.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Thanks guys, that was what I was hoping for. I just wasn't sure if r520s were too big to dial back.
I've got DSS .360s running almost smoke free

Little bit of white smoke, but they're supposedly pretty crappy nozzles.