Sachs SRE clutches and Sachs vs LUK DMF's.

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
Hi guys, I am just about to change the clutch in my VW T5 and I have a few options, standard Sachs or LUK or fit an uprated Sachs SRE clutch.

Anyone had anything negative running a Sachs SRE uprated cover and organic plate?.

Also the LUK DMF's don't seem to last very long in our vans and Sachs now does a replacement, has anyone had any experience using a Sachs DMF?

Thanks in advance guys.

mk1-83

Veteran Member
TDI
LUPO 1.9 tdi 300+ hp
Im run sre pressure plate with Sachs organic plate no problem to hold 580nm

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
I had a sachs sre organic in my modded 1.8t and it was a fantasic clutch. Slipped a bit at the start but after a bit of town driving it broke in well. Took alot of abuse.

Another thumbs up!
My mates got one in his modded VW T5, his also slipped at the start.

Do they just take some time to bed in?, are you guys also running DMF's?

Festa

Veteran Member
TDI
Vw t5 van
Mines started to slip at 12k since it was replaced in march.. Done the bedding in but it's letting go at 3000rpm kevlar/mineral plate and uprated cover but it's only rated to 545nm, dmf is kind of holding up but juddering started at 5k. I know I'm !around 440ftlb torque so that's what's going to kill it :)

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
Mines started to slip at 12k since it was replaced in march.. Done the bedding in but it's letting go at 3000rpm kevlar/mineral plate and uprated cover but it's only rated to 545nm, dmf is kind of holding up but juddering started at 5k. I know I'm !around 440ftlb torque so that's what's going to kill it :)
When I spoke to the UK Sachs SRE importer they said the T5 set up was tested at 600nm but I don't know how much truth is in that.

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
Think hes telling porkies, they are rated at 355 ftlbs / 480nm for the t5 for the sre / organic type. Maybe exotic pladdle type but the on/off bite chatacter of that clutch make them horrible to use in traffic
I agree on paper they are rated at 480nm but I think in the real world they will take much more.

My standard 6 year old VW LUK clutch is currently taking 550nm, I know a guy with another standard LUK clutch running 600nm with no current issues.

Festa

Veteran Member
TDI
Vw t5 van
I think it depends on where the power comes in . My old standard clutch was holding 440ft lb but once the vehicle was loaded it slipped as well once it reached around 3k. The new clutch setup only slipped until bedded in but now it appears I have more power the new clutch is slipping again.
Black diamond won't sell me a stage 2 clutch which is rated at 420ft lb and said the paddle clutch was only good for 430ft lb. As the standard did so well to last 90k I went for the sachs sre but since the initial slipping it hasn't slipped again...maybe a second bedding in ?

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Running a Sachs DMF and Sachs SRE clutch in a 2012 NMS Passat. Couldn't be happier with the clutch! It did slip at first but is great now and I drive pretty aggressively. I do get flywheel shudder under 2k rpms if I don't downshift enough. No issues in 50k miles with stage 3.5 tune

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Running a Sachs DMF and Sachs SRE clutch in a 2012 NMS Passat. Couldn't be happier with the clutch! It did slip at first but is great now and I drive pretty aggressively. I do get flywheel shudder under 2k rpms if I don't downshift enough. No issues in 50k miles with stage 3.5 tune
Awesome. I'll be running the same setup in the near future. Did you get your clutch kit from darkside developments ?

Festa

Veteran Member
TDI
Vw t5 van
Dyno run yesterday and clutch was slipping at 2950::( can see it on the graph. Still showed 570nm but don't know where I've lost 30nm.

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
Dyno run yesterday and clutch was slipping at 2950::( can see it on the graph. Still showed 570nm but don't know where I've lost 30nm.
Could be lost via clutch slip because your old clutch wasn't slipping when you made the extra power and torque last time.

Festa

Veteran Member
TDI
Vw t5 van
It's rather odd that my clutch now is not slipping :confused: it must be temperature related as since the ambient air temps have dropped from 25°c and above the clutch is holding. I'm now wondering whether because the clutch assembly is in an enclosed bell housing it can't get enough air circulation to help with cooling and blowing the dust out.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It's rather odd that my clutch now is not slipping :confused: it must be temperature related as since the ambient air temps have dropped from 25°c and above the clutch is holding. I'm now wondering whether because the clutch assembly is in an enclosed bell housing it can't get enough air circulation to help with cooling and blowing the dust out.
Probably due to the increased power from cooler ambient temps. My clutch first started to slip in cold weather. Then would hold as temps. warmed. After doing performance mods, I can make it slip whatever the temp.

martin33100

Veteran Member
TDI
VW T5 2.5
Probably due to the increased power from cooler ambient temps. My clutch first started to slip in cold weather. Then would hold as temps. warmed. After doing performance mods, I can make it slip whatever the temp.
Festa's clutch is the other way round, lower ambient temps no clutch slip.
We now also know another guy with a Sachs SRE clutch in his tune 2.5 and he isn't impressed also, he said his standard LUK clutch lasted longer.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Define "flywheel shudder". Is it low end resonance in the cabin or something you feel through the pedal?