Disabling Daytime Running Lights on 2010 TDI

madmarty1

TDI
2000 Jetta sedan-gone, 2002 Jetta Sportswagen-gone, 2010 Jetta Sportswagen-gone.
A few days ago, I took delivery of a 2010 VW Jetta TDI Sportswagen, 6-speed manual, which I ordered in June 2009.

Vehicle came with standard, 2 position - either on or off, headlight switch. I would like to buy a compatible Euro headlight switch for killing/disabling daytime running lights.

Am I correct in assuming all Euro headlight switches will perform this task? My only experience with a Euro headlight switch was a 3 position one I installed in my previous 2002 VW TDI Wagen. It did the job of disabling the drl's.

But then I received a reply from 20squared website, where I was reviewing Euro switches, regarding above question.

"Unfortunately we haven't yet gotten our hands on a MK6 to confirm an answer to your question. However, based on what we know about the MK5, disabling the Daytime Running Lights can be done via VAG-COM Diagnostic Software. Unfortunately just installing a european headlight switch and/or bending down a pin on the back of the headlight switch will not disable the drl's. Again, I have yet to be able to confirm this, however based on what I know about the Mk5, it's likely that it follows that."

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited:

sinfony78

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 sportwagen
where can we get the VAG-COM code to do this, or for any other things, for that matter...is there a place that will list codes? i just recently found a thread in the mkv section to allow bluetooth phone book lookup using the MFD...it'd be nice to have a central location to see all these things

VWNate

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I installed a Euroswitch in my 2010 TDI sedan. With no code changes It still has DRLs but selecting the parking light position turns them off. All I wanted was being able to have parking lights and no DRLs when passing thru security gates and arriving at star parties. I do notice a fault when scanned with vag-com but it does not effect the opperation of the lights or the warning chimes.

Address 09: Cent. Elect. (J519) Labels: 1K0-937-08x-09.clb
Part No SW: 5K0 937 085 C HW: 5K0 937 085 C
Component: BCM PQ35 B++ 008 0019
Revision: BI008001
Coding: 6D200B1E902F3EE4800800054000000001000086510085605C8020000000
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
Part No: 1K1 955 119 E
Component: Wischer 07070 21 0501
Coding: 009795
1 Fault Found:
01800 - Light Switch (E1)
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101000
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 76
Mileage: 2046 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2001.14.31
Time: 16:25:27
Freeze Frame:
Term 15 Off
Voltage: 12.75 V
OFF
ON
OFF
OFF
OFF

VWNate

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I did not change any settings, just installed the switch. I woild think the same would be true on the 2010 JSW.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
VWNate said:
I installed a Euroswitch in my 2010 TDI sedan. With no code changes It still has DRLs but selecting the parking light position turns them off. All I wanted was being able to have parking lights and no DRLs when passing thru security gates and arriving at star parties. I do notice a fault when scanned with vag-com but it does not effect the opperation of the lights or the warning chimes.

Address 09: Cent. Elect. (J519) Labels: 1K0-937-08x-09.clb
Part No SW: 5K0 937 085 C HW: 5K0 937 085 C
Component: BCM PQ35 B++ 008 0019
Revision: BI008001
Coding: 6D200B1E902F3EE4800800054000000001000086510085605C8020000000
Shop #: WSC 00066 000 00000
Part No: 1K1 955 119 E
Component: Wischer 07070 21 0501
Coding: 009795
1 Fault Found:
01800 - Light Switch (E1)
008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00101000
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 76
Mileage: 2046 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2001.14.31
Time: 16:25:27
Freeze Frame:
Term 15 Off
Voltage: 12.75 V
OFF
ON
OFF
OFF
OFF

All you had to do was to pull the park brake on ONE notch. Don't drive around like this, but it will get you through a gate or into a 'star'(!!??!!) party.

There are stickies in the MKV forum that are pretty good reading, too.

Bill

VWNate

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Driving around with the parking brake on one notch, even for a short distance gets old after awile. There is the chime constantly going off and it is hard to find any of the controls in the dark like the switch for the window that I just opened to show the gard my badge. Not having a gang of pissed off astronomers at a star party makes adding the switch worth every penny:rolleyes:

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
Try A Search For . .

:)

There is a way to permanently disable them in the older VWs. Do a search and you'll find it.
Perhaps that same proceedure will work on these newer models? :confused:

:D

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Say What?

tomo366 said:
Nope........perhaps you should do a search..........:rolleyes:
What's that supposed to mean. :confused:

Here I am trying to help this fellow and suggest to him how he might be
able to disconnect his DLRs and you jump in uninvided and say that.

What is your problem old man?:mad:

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I have no problem.......you are the one that has a problem........;)

He was told above what he had to do.

But why would anyone turn off a government required safety device??

6910sb

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I don't get it. What's the benefit of disabling the lights, other than not being seen by other drivers?

Exmasonite

TDI
2009 JSW 6spd manual, 68K and counting...
i think the idea is to save the life of the bulbs so that you don't have to replace them as often.

my understanding, after looking into it myself, there is not a way to do it on the '09 or later jettas.

and the reason he said to do a search is the fact that it's been discussed MANY times and best info, without rehashing old threads, would be to do a search on the topic.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Benefits . .

6910sb said:
I don't get it. What's the benefit of disabling the lights, other than not being seen by other drivers?

Some of us older types still do have excellent vision, and many of
us simply do not feel the need to have daytime running lights.

It has only been recently that these were required by law in some areas.

If someone has such poor vision that they must see daytime running lights to
be able to spot another vehicle, they should no longer be driving IMHO.

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
6910sb said:
That is quite a leap to say that no DRL means you aren't seen by other drivers. If that were true, why would you consider that a benefit?:confused:

Some benefits to no DRL:

As previously mentioned- some security gates have signs that say turn off headlights. Having to click the ebrake is unacceptable to some.

The star parties is a good reason too.

My 2003 Jetta w/ 95K miles is still on the factory headlight bulbs with DRL turned off. That is another reason- bulb life extension.

There are posts here where people have found a measurable but minuscule increase in fuel economy with no DRL.

Also the idea that if everyone has them they don't do much good since they can get "tuned out".

Some people like positive control over vehicle functions and even with DRL off can still turn on the lights for visibility enhancement if the particular road and weather conditions require it.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Nope, just looked at the one MK5 euroswitch I have on the shelf--it's just a 10 pin connector, there is no TFL marked anywhere on it.

Of course you could still do one notch to turn off the headlights but keep the parking lights on...

6910sb

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Honeydew said:
That is quite a leap to say that no DRL means you aren't seen by other drivers. If that were true, why would you consider that a benefit?:confused:

Some benefits to no DRL:

As previously mentioned- some security gates have signs that say turn off headlights. Having to click the ebrake is unacceptable to some.

My 2003 Jetta w/ 95K miles is still on the factory headlight bulbs with DRL turned off. That is another reason- bulb life extension.

There are posts here where people have found a measurable but minuscule increase in fuel economy with no DRL.

Also the idea that if everyone has them they don't do much good since they can get "tuned out".

Some people like positive control over vehicle functions and even with DRL off can still turn on the lights for visibility enhancement if the particular road and weather conditions require it.
Good points. I go through a gate at NAS North Island to work, and even spent two years as a reservist standing those gates, so I see the point there.
When I think of this topic, I think of my past motorcycling days, and even more when I fly airplanes. You never know when that little bit of extra visibility will save your life.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Correct! The DRL cannot be disconnected the OLD way on A5 Cars........
That's Jetta's 05.5 up.
this is from the Ross Com site for folks who have a Vag Com or find a Find someone on the list to do it for you.........

Removing DRL's
[Select]
[09 - Cent. Elect.]
[Long Coding - 07]
[Long Coding Helper]

Click on each of the Byte numbers in step 3) and you'll see the selectable options below.
Uncheck the box for "Daytime driving lights (North America)"

Close the Long Coding Helper by clicking the Windows X box on the top right of the screen or clicking the Exit button on the top left of the screen) will send your new Coding value back to the Coding screen.
[Do It!]

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks

tomo366 said:
Correct! The DRL cannot be disconnected the OLD way on A5 Cars........
That's Jetta's 05.5 up.
this is from the Ross Com site for folks who have a Vag Com or find a Find someone on the list to do it for you.........

Removing DRL's
[Select]
[09 - Cent. Elect.]
[Long Coding - 07]
[Long Coding Helper]
Click on each of the Byte numbers in step 3) and you'll see the selectable options below.
Uncheck the box for "Daytime driving lights (North America)"

Close the Long Coding Helper by clicking the Windows X box on the top right of the screen or clicking the Exit button on the top left of the screen) will send your new Coding value back to the Coding screen.
[Do It!]

Thanks you Sir!

That will be one of my first modifications just as soon as I get mine!

Thanks again.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks . .

Honeydew said:

Some benefits to no DRL:

Well put. Thanks. Does your wagon have an automatic? :confused:

I sure do wish I'd kept mine. Big mistake trading it off for that ' 99 E-300 TD.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I got rid of my DRL's simply because replacing headlight bulbs all the time was getting old. Seems they would last about 20k miles. Replacing the driver's side one is a nuisance, even with medium-sized hands it was a tight fit trying to get the bulb out/in with the tips of my fingers. Of course it often seemed that it was in the middle of winter that I'd be trying to do it in the AutoZone parking lot, too, after just having paid $18 for the bulb. Some folks remove the battery to make changing the bulb easier.

I still turn my lights on on shady lanes when my dark green car might not be so visible.

ibid

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Red
I was told today by my VW dealer it can be programmed out so I'm going to request that be done before I take delivery otherwise program it out with VAG COM as soon as possible!

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
You dealer will refuse........to do so (turning DRL OFF)it is a Safety device

ibid said:
I was told today by my VW dealer it can be programmed out so I'm going to request that be done before I take delivery otherwise program it out with VAG COM as soon as possible!

Last edited:

ibid

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Red
tomo366 said:
You dealer will refuse........to do so (turning DRL OFF)he is breaking the Law.
Care to show me this law? Where is it written? Sounds like urban myth to me.

Illinois doesn't require DRL so I highly doubt it is 'illegal' but we shall see what happens.. I had the dealer program it out of my former Lexus so I know dealers here in Illinois will do it since it isn't required like in Ontario, Canada for example.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
ibid said:
Care to show me this law? Where is it written? Sounds like urban myth to me.

Illinois doesn't require DRL so I highly doubt it is 'illegal' but we shall see what happens.. I had the dealer program it out of my former Lexus so I know dealers here in Illinois will do it since it isn't required like in Ontario, Canada for example.
You are Correct!! I was wrong........DRL's are not Mnadated antwhere in the US! However good luck getting a Stealer to turn them off!

ibid

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Red
tomo366 said:
You are Correct!! I was wrong........DRL's are not Mnadated antwhere in the US! However good luck getting a Stealer to turn them off!
well, bonus points for your admission but perhaps my dealership will surprise you then (I'll find out once I get the car) but one of the reasons I decided on this dealer is because the folks who run the show there are more enthusiasts and they DID program out the seat belt chime and low brake-pad sensor chime for me on my former R32 (just because dealers in your area wont' do anything for you or friends, doesn't mean its the same here in Illinois!)