Tuned sleeper vs sick ricer?

lbundy

Veteran Member
TDI
mkiii gti tdi
There's plenty of rubber there compared to what many run. Roads in western pa are not exactly great either and I have no problems running as a daily. That is a vento grille and the badge did come on stock tdis

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
this
and I even have a soft spot for the rest of the bosozouku stuff
Lol. I had to look up bosozoku. What a bizarre car/motorcycle culture. Makes the donks I see down south look mundane. Huge protruding bright yellow exhaust extensions, giant splitters that stick out 3 feet, and the ubiquitous oil cooler? mounted externally on the front of the car. Weird!

Tornado TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Highline 6MT
Whats ricey with Bbs wheels? My daily mk3 tdi swapped AHU. Stage 1.5 Malone tune and pp520s.

Nothing ricey about BBS wheels.
Are those RM's or RS's?
I've got a set of RM's in my garage.
I'd really like to get a set of LM's for my TDI, but with the way the Canadian dollar is right now I don't think my wife would go for $6000 dollars for a set of wheels. :D

lbundy

Veteran Member
TDI
mkiii gti tdi
Nothing ricey about BBS wheels.
Are those RM's or RS's?
I've got a set of RM's in my garage.
I'd really like to get a set of LM's for my TDI, but with the way the Canadian dollar is right now I don't think my wife would go for $6000 dollars for a set of wheels. :D
Rs. I traded a set of one piece Schmidt modern lines for these plus adapters. Really don't have that much into them as what most do. The whole car is a budget build over the past 6 years

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I am one to support the stealth method.

I don't know how many times I was overlooked with a silver Subaru Impreza with silver wheels. Never mind that it was a de-winged STI, and partially de-badged.

Only one time did I ever get pulled over in it, and that was before the trunk and wing were traded away. (Being polite the the officer, and obviously dragging drunks home while not being one myself got a warning for that visit...)
After the wing removal, I'd get puzzled looks from car enthusiasts trying to make out what the car was, and generally ignored by everyone else.

It didn't make a bit of difference in the performance, other than a theoretical reduction in stability over ~120 mph, but since my ventures to those speeds were very few and far between, I find it a worthy trade off.

I know of one Mercedes enthusiast who has a late 80's sedan with a Chevy LS6 under the hood that he terrorizes tracks with, but looks like grandpa's Sunday driver...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I am one to support the stealth method.

I don't know how many times I was overlooked with a silver Subaru Impreza with silver wheels. Never mind that it was a de-winged STI, and partially de-badged.

Only one time did I ever get pulled over in it, and that was before the trunk and wing were traded away. (Being polite the the officer, and obviously dragging drunks home while not being one myself got a warning for that visit...)
After the wing removal, I'd get puzzled looks from car enthusiasts trying to make out what the car was, and generally ignored by everyone else.

It didn't make a bit of difference in the performance, other than a theoretical reduction in stability over ~120 mph, but since my ventures to those speeds were very few and far between, I find it a worthy trade off.

I know of one Mercedes enthusiast who has a late 80's sedan with a Chevy LS6 under the hood that he terrorizes tracks with, but looks like grandpa's Sunday driver...
I agree. Though I do like a nice set of rims. Just not purple ones. David Letterman used to have the ultimate sleeper- a Volvo 244 w/ a performance 351 V8. Or maybe it was a 350.

Edit: Apparently Letterman's sleeper was a Volvo 960 wagon w/ Ford V8. Paul Newman also had one. And Seinfeld gave it his stamp of approval.

Last edited:

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
You might as well spend money to make it look nice or modified or whatever. Your car will spend more time sitting then you actually driving it. Plus, street racing is illegal and the speed limits are too low to let it rip. Why buy a car with a thousand horsepower if you can never unleash the beast? Plus the mpg sucking. If you're tracking the car, that's a different story. Modify for function over form for the track or drag strip.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
This kind of time and money into a gasoline V-8 and you've got 600-800hp.
and MPG in the teens... lol.

Anyway, id rather drive a slow car to its limits than drive a 500+ HP beast that i'd always need to keep on very short leash.

totally different story if its a trailer queen that only sees the track... in that case, go ahead and make it as fast as you want AND look how you want. go for broke!

as for rims, i only buy steelies because i can guarantee that i will curb a nice set of rims within 3 months, because i suck - i know...

And lowering is out of the question to me because the many many potholes here in WI are actually modeled after WW2 tank traps.

my vote is for a semi-stock, clean look... and violent amounts of torque applied when needed.

JettaTDlie

TDI
'02 Golf
Don't have an updated pic... (side markers are clear, car raised up 3/4", 10/15mm spacers) but my vote goes to OEM+ for looks, and modify it to increase the performance as you wish. Just remember your budget and that it's your daily. I'm at stage 3 with no plans for more performance, just maintenance. Keep in mind, you won't see your money back if you go to sell it... but if you build it to like it, you won't sell!

Last edited:

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI,

Low $$ mods that work would be a BRM intake (about $65) ,, $100 ebay Upgraded SMIC ( I cannot remember the seller tho) , and deleted exhaust system (I cannot say how a factory deleted system sounds but it is low $$ and gets more "free" sound ....those mods will even get you better MPGs

Going Big on the exhaust would be a 3" cat back exhaust from Kerma .... car will definately sound bad ass even with a VNT 15 ..... matter of fact I hear you loose whistle if going bigger so keep the 15 .... it'll sound so good nobody will mess with you....

To fake people out ... maybe stick on some 1.8T or VR6 badges and you are good to go!

self done window tint can look good from the outside from a distance even if the job is not so good

Andrew

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
I like him because of how he types and it reveals a super polite and nice guy, which is what I am striving to become as I get older. Very formal too :)

And yes I noticed the date on this thread.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I like him because of how he types and it reveals a super polite and nice guy, which is what I am striving to become as I get older. Very formal too :)

And yes I noticed the date on this thread.
I agree with you, he is polite for sure. It would go a long way if there were more posts written like his are.
His age is a non-issue, I was just wondering...

When I grew up you NEVER popped off to any adult, no matter what, or you had a tune-up coming for sure.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
I agree with you, he is polite for sure. It would go a long way if there were more posts written like his are.
His age is a non-issue, I was just wondering...

When I grew up you NEVER popped off to any adult, no matter what, or you had a tune-up coming for sure.
Agreed and I am very respectful to elders. Until said adults act like kids themselves and/or mentally/physically hurt you.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Used to go cruising around hunting up an opportunity to run the stoplight grand prix. The sure way to get left was to pick some quiet, bondo-ed rustbucket. It was usually some Nova with an engine built to the tune of a year's salary( err...wages ). In this big-blocked Impala my brother and I ran around in, we got picked on by a nice 'Vette. It was like leaving a bicycle with CBR...LOL

All in all, I doubt anybody can say what is important to you. With the sort of budget you're talking about, it is not going to be fast in any case...and the more you put into it, with a power goal that keeps going up, it is a matter of time before you break something you won't be able to afford replacing.
cheers,
Douglas