"Cold-air intakes" and "high-flow air filter" FAQ

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Anyone have recommendations for a cold air intake for the 2.0L TDI, I have been looking around and found that aFE sells a intake for the 2009 tdi jetta but I am not familiar with them and am not sure if its worth the money.
Did you read the rest of this thread? The best recomendation for a CAI is to stick with the CAI that VW put in your car at the factory. All of the aftermarket ones either filter worse or cause other problems. Your car came with an excellent CAI and unless you have done some serious mods to your car (like bigger turbo), it will pass far more then enough air for your engine.

A CAI can have a noticeable effect on a normally aspirated gasoline engine, but your turbo charger is more than capable of giving your car all the air it needs. Save your money and put it where it will actually do some good.

Have Fun!

Don

79jasper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
^ What he said.
To a point, IAT won't really affect a turbo engine. It's gonna be heated by the turbo, and then cooled by the intercooler (if applicable) anyways.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just to be clear, when he says "IAT" (intake air temp) he means pre-compressor. The IAT sensor post-compressor most certainly does make a HUGE difference in fuel and timing maps to the engine, which is why it is measured so carefully by the ECU at that point, and not at the MAF.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Anyone have recommendations for a cold air intake for the 2.0L TDI, I have been looking around and found that aFE sells a intake for the 2009 tdi jetta but I am not familiar with them and am not sure if its worth the money.
Welcome! There are 147 posts prior to yours in this thread that are worth reading.

vintagecar1

TDI
passant sel
air finters

has anyone used a AEM REPLACEMENT AIR FILTERTHIS IS A DRY FLOW CLEANER?
Go nuts.
Edit: know what would be cool? Maybe someone can make a nifty, tastefully funny but small and useful button picture that links to this thread for future threads discussing this subject. This would be a useful thing to do for other FAQs as well. For your convenience and a start, you can copy and paste this hyperlinked thing to offending threads:
Read the "Cold-air intakes" and "high-flow air filter" FAQ![/QUOTE]

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
has anyone used a AEM REPLACEMENT AIR FILTERTHIS IS A DRY FLOW CLEANER?
Go nuts.
Edit: know what would be cool? Maybe someone can make a nifty, tastefully funny but small and useful button picture that links to this thread for future threads discussing this subject. This would be a useful thing to do for other FAQs as well. For your convenience and a start, you can copy and paste this hyperlinked thing to offending threads:
Read the "Cold-air intakes" and "high-flow air filter" FAQ!
[/QUOTE]

Yes, several people have used several replacement DRY filters..... to no advantage, on a stock or even moderately hot rodded TDI.

If you have ENOUGH, getting more is pointless.... If you NEED more, then more is good to have. :)

Bill

Black tdi cup

TDI
2010 volkswagen tdi cup edition
Don't waste your time or money.
Going 2260 turbo. I already know it does nothing but noise. What I do need to know is what they did with the hose that is in front of the maf. Not really sure what the rubber hose is or does.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
Going 2260 turbo. I already know it does nothing but noise. What I do need to know is what they did with the hose that is in front of the maf. Not really sure what the rubber hose is or does.

n75 vacuum vent. Just put a little filter on it and leave it to atmosphere.

Black tdi cup

TDI
n75 vacuum vent. Just put a little filter on it and leave it to atmosphere.
Not sure I totally understand. Put a filter on the end of the hose or make a hole in the intake and put in a filter and connected it that way.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Not sure I totally understand. Put a filter on the end of the hose or make a hole in the intake and put in a filter and connected it that way.

Put a filter on the end of the hose OR you could put a nipple on the new air intake tube and put it there.

Black tdi cup

TDI
You wouldn't happen to know who makes a filter that small or where to get one. And would it be smart to swap for a dry filter. I hear mafs don't like the oil.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
You wouldn't happen to know who makes a filter that small or where to get one. And would it be smart to swap for a dry filter. I hear mafs don't like the oil.
Ebay, Jegs, Summit or go get a small engine fuel filter.

Yep, I would use a dry filter.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Jeep CRD has a tiny filter with a nipple on it that works quite well. I think its around $10 from the dealer.

Bace

TDI
Skoda Octavia
The issue with a big turbo is spool-up time and low end boost, both these things can be improved significantly with a upgraded air filter system.

But if we are talking hard numbers - then you will be able to reach more or less the same power with the standard airbox.

HailPeyton

TDI
2005 Beetle GLS TDI
I know everyone says a CAI on a TDI is pointless, but I actually need more room in my engine compartment. Does anyone know of a CAI system that will fit a 2005 Beetle, from what I understand a golf/jetta kit won't work.

JBell

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Quick question about the OEM filters with and without the cold weather filter....does that impede flow any? I bought my Touareg in Colorado but live in Las Vegas, and it came with the cold weather, or the "A" at the end of the part number.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
has anyone used the http://www.greenfilterusa.com/ filters? just bought a spare car and it had one it in, wondering if its actually worth using over the OEM paper filters?
The OEM filters work perfectly fine, even for modded cars. If you want a cleanable filter, synthetic dry-flow filters are available. No reason to ever use an oiled cotton filter. OEM filters are cheap and the R&R interval is long enough, the savings from a re-usable filter just isn't there.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
has anyone used the http://www.greenfilterusa.com/ filters? just bought a spare car and it had one it in, wondering if its actually worth using over the OEM paper filters?
It looks like almost any other aftermarket filter (like AEM or K&N) except that it uses a green dyed oil. Avoid all oiled air filters on TDI engines. The oil has a bad habit of fouling MAF sensors. Also these filters have far less actual filter area. To have less filter area and "improved" air flow requires poorer filtering. Stick with the stock filter and air intake unless you have made some serious modifications to your engine (like a big turbo).

Have Fun!

Don

Nathaniel.Troy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta MkIV
The OEM filters work perfectly fine, even for modded cars. If you want a cleanable filter, synthetic dry-flow filters are available. No reason to ever use an oiled cotton filter. OEM filters are cheap and the R&R interval is long enough, the savings from a re-usable filter just isn't there.
That's what I thought, this filter is almost like looking through a big screen lol, doesn't seem like it'd help all that much, thanks for the reply

It looks like almost any other aftermarket filter (like AEM or K&N) except that it uses a green dyed oil. Avoid all oiled air filters on TDI engines. The oil has a bad habit of fouling MAF sensors. Also these filters have far less actual filter area. To have less filter area and "improved" air flow requires poorer filtering. Stick with the stock filter and air intake unless you have made some serious modifications to your engine (like a big turbo)
I agree on the surface area, the paper filter has more than double the ridges. And I'm going to be using the 1756vk, does that count as big? Lol :cool:

79jasper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
Probably. I was trying to find some info on the filter element itself to see what it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

hajes

TDI
Skoda "Hilda" Octavia HR I
From VCDS/Polar FIS I see pressure loss 150-200hPa at idle. It would be even more at full load. Reading from MAP sensor behind the IC.

I came accross this thread in search of before turbo losses for calculating pressure ratio for ECU calibration data.

Some says there is about 50hPa drop before turbo...no idea. Most of this pressure drop is caused by OEM IC and manifold.

From this thread I see that replacing inlet/before turbo manifold with twin cone filter and silicon hose wouldn't make much difference.

I have seen some tests long time ago and paper OEm filters are superior to any so called performance filters. This guy meassured 2.5% better filtration with OEM paper air filter. It is always a compromise of filtration and air flow.