PSA : Chevy to offer diesel Equinox in '17

Status
Not open for further replies.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
WSJ has the article . Cruze will also be offered with diesel again.

Please keep it here, as so many people are trying to figure out their options.

I'd imagine they will offer incentives to the most pro-diesel buyers, the former VW owners :)

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Perhaps, the most important takeaway is: there is a future for diesels in pass cars/SUV/CUV.

GM must be 111% confident in on-the-road emission compliance or they wouldn't be releasing it.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I wonder if they will offer it with AWD. Kinda pointless without, but 138 horsepower in a (admittedly smaller) SUV and additional drag from an AWD system might be too slow for most buyers.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
The horsepower is not the entire story. The torque will make a difference.
Admittedly, it is not going to perform as well at the VWs, but it will be close. The power is almost equal, the weight will be the detriment. Either way, it will be enough for many people. Remember, Europe manages with less power, and VW used to sell cars here (that performed well enough) that only had 52 horsepower.

wbclassics

TDI
No TDI - VW Bought it Back (Dec 4th 2017)
The horsepower is not the entire story. The torque will make a difference.
Admittedly, it is not going to perform as well at the VWs, but it will be close. The power is almost equal, the weight will be the detriment. Either way, it will be enough for many people. Remember, Europe manages with less power, and VW used to sell cars here (that performed well enough) that only had 52 horsepower.
The aero drag on the SUV is also going to be greater than that on our VW sedans. That SUV is going to be a dog trying to pass something on the highway as that undersized diesel engine struggles to overcome the disadvantages of moving extra mass and considerably increased drag (versus a sedan with the same engine).

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
if it was as long as my JSW inside, it might be a possibility. I have come to like the abilty to carry multiple sets of skis inside with half the rear seat folded..

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
"...we’ve been absolutely thrilled with how they’ve taken off" - GM's
Alan Batey, North America Pres.

I think the mistake was Audi's, to put the V-6 in the Q5. A torque'y 4 could work great in the Equinox. GM knows Americans. You gotta give 'um that. Not only 3 rows, but a movable second row is part of why Equinox has been a hit.

Many Volt fans with needs for a larger vehicle have been wishing GM would put Voltec in the Equinox. That said, it would have been expensive and diesel (even with SCR) is a cheaper way to offer a good jump in mpg. This makes total sense to me.

Last edited:

tjdeerslayer37

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi plat gray
"...we’ve been absolutely thrilled with how they’ve taken off" - GM's
Alan Batey, North America Pres.

I think the mistake was Audi's, to put the V-6 in the Q5. A torque'y 4 could work great in the Equinox. GM knows Americans. You gotta give 'um that. Not only 3 rows, but a movable second row is part of why Equinox has been a hit.

Many Volt fans with needs for a larger vehicle have been wishing GM would put Voltec in the Equinox. That said, it would have been expensive and diesel (even with SCR) is a cheaper way to offer a good jump in mpg. This makes total sense to me.
The equinox only has 2 rows...

Status
Not open for further replies.