2018 Chevy Equinox Diesel

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Nope. They're bringing the Cruze diesel back too. It looks like that must have slipped from a 2017 MY to 2018.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
This I did not expect. Thought Chevrolet was going to dump diesel.

http://www.motor1.com/news/99740/2018-chevrolet-equinox-debuts/

A 1.6-liter diesel with 136 hp (101 kW) and 236 lb-ft (320 Nm), and Chevy thinks it could get 40 mpg with the six-speed automatic.
With that kind of small engine (relatively speaking) my bet is that is going to be sold outside North America first and we will not see it in the US in 2018 but perhaps later (not holding my breath either).

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Nope. They're bringing the Cruze diesel back too. It looks like that must have slipped from a 2017 MY to 2018.
IIRC the Cruze diesel is temporarily absent because the Cruze is being retooled and is getting a larger engine (Opel 1.6L diesel?). It is not because the diesel option didn't sell.

In a recent article about the Cruze, GM mentioned that Dieselgate hasn't hampered their plans to offer a diesel in the Cruze and they plan to capitalize on the situation. Although VW cheated, they did manage to sell enough CR TDIs to demonstrate a market demand for them actually exists and it didn't go unnoticed by other manufacturers. And then there's also increased CAFE targets they need to meet.

Last night's announcement of a diesel option for the Equinox comes as a pleasant and welcome surprise. :cool: I won't be in the market for one given that I'm not in the market for another car right now and already own a BMW X5 35d. :cool:

Last edited:

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
From one of the many press releases...

The 2018 Equinox will be the first Chevy to be sold in North America with a fully turbocharged lineup of engines. Buyers can choose from a 1.5-liter turbo, a 2.0-liter turbo mated with a nine-speed automatic transmission or a 1.6-liter turbodiesel that GM estimates will achieve 40 mpg in highway driving.
With VW selling diesels, maybe it wasn't worth it for other manufacturers to try to compete. Since VW committed suicide, perhaps GM feels they have an opportunity to be the one to offer diesel instead.

n1das

TDI

With VW selling diesels, maybe it wasn't worth it for other manufacturers to try to compete. Since VW committed suicide, perhaps GM feels they have an opportunity to be the one to offer diesel instead.
Given that car manufacturers are under pressure to meet future CAFE targets among other things, I think this has already been in the works for a while. Dieselgate has simply created a new market opportunity.

:)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
"The 2018 Equinox will be the first Chevy to be sold in North America with a fully turbocharged lineup of engines. Buyers can choose from a 1.5-liter turbo, a 2.0-liter turbo mated with a nine-speed automatic transmission or a 1.6-liter turbodiesel that GM estimates will achieve 40 mpg in highway driving."
Ok, so there is still some chances that the diesel version it might show up at the dealerships. The highway mileage seems a bit optimistic to mebut maybe they meant with only one driver, no luggage and going not more than 65 MPH ;)

n1das

TDI
Ok, so there is still some chances that the diesel version it might show up at the dealerships. The highway mileage seems a bit optimistic to mebut maybe they meant with only one driver, no luggage and going not more than 65 MPH ;)
We will see what happens. I consider it vaporware until it receives emissions certification and shows up on dealer lots. Right now I'm just happy GM is planning to offer a diesel version at all.

Have fun! :)

BrentRN

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have many. Now a Golf TSI.
Our 2012 Sportwagen was T-boned in 2013 and replaced with a used Subaru Legacy wagon. We were waiting to get a 2016 Golf Sportwagen when the scandal hit. This Equinox is now on our list if it becomes a reality. My wife wants cargo room, diesel torque, and the mileage for our frequent trips from PA to Maine.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Chevy had a diesel Cruze for a few years. It had a 2.0L diesel with 150 horsepower. GM was trying to compete with VW, though with a somewhat smaller car.

The new 1.6L will have a little less power than the older Cruze, more like the power of the pre-2015 VWs. If they keep the turbo lag down they should be a decent option.
I think they may be a little underpowered in the Equinox, but I've also always said I would like the 2.0 TDI in a Tiguan. It may work out to be fine.

They will have a market segment all to themselves, especially since VW is backing out of the four cylinder diesel market in the US.