code P00BD

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
My 2015 passat threw codes twice this past week. P00BD and P00BD pd. Fuel and air metering and Aux emission controls.

I erased the codes the first time but they were back in a day. The car has been in the shop for two days now and VWoA has not come up with the reason for the codes or a solution. They plan to pressure test the intake on Monday if I recall what they told me on the phone today.

Has anyone experienced these codes and know how to fix them?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Well they pressure tested and found no leaks. Dealer is waiting for advice from VoA. I suggested they throw a new MAF in it and see if that is the problem. The tech said on the phone the numbers were a little off on the MAF but that wasn't the problem. I don't know how they tested it but if the numbers are wrong then the MAF is wrong I would think.

I'm tired of driving the tiguan courtesy car at 26 mpg.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
More info in case you encounter these codes in your car. "P00BD" and "P00BD pd"

So VW seems to find this car a mystery. The dealership (who have been very nice so far) has no idea and so they wait for suggestions from VoA. VoA solution is to change the PCV pipe, the valve cover and the injector seals. Dealership seems to feel that this will solve the problem. I will let you know if it actually works. I guess the MAF is OK..

I've been driving a loaner tiquan. Nice little car but the 25 mpg is sad to me and I have forgotten how hot gassers run. Heats my garage to over 90 degrees when I come home and park in there. I will look forward to getting my diesel back tomorrow.

pedorro

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Sport
Thanks for the info and taking the time post. Good luck with the planned repairs and report back with results.

engineerorange

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
Any update? Our 2015 Passat is throwing the same code.

1 Fault Found:

21468 - Mass Airflow Sensor 1
P00BD 00 [104] - Airflow too High
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 31
Mileage: 70952 km
Date: 2019.14.13
Time: 16:53:20

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
No joy.
They changed the pcv pipe and the valve cover and injector seals. They drive it 10 miles and all okay. I drove 30 miles home. Washed the car and then drove around the block to dry the brakes and BOOM the cel comes on again. I scanned and got the same two codes "P00BD" and "P00BD pd".

To top it all off they cracked the upper left side of my engine cover!!!

They pressure tested the system last Monday and said there are no leaks. I wonder if they do that test on a cold engine? Perhaps something warps on a hot engine and breaks a seal? I told them they should try changing the MAF since they are not that expensive but I don't think they did? At this point I would change the MAF and the very closely check the turbo pipes and seals (or replace them). Finally could the computer be bad? I am not a mechanic so these are guesses.

Broke my bloody engine cover.......oh and they didn't wipe up the oil they dripped on the engine cover when they filled it either. You would think they would notice my spotless engine and wipe up the mess. OK end rant sorry

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Possibly solved?

UPDATE. This did NOT fix the problem

Today since I am off work I popped the hood to look through the air intake system.

I opened the air box to check the air filter and I just happened to notice on the outside lower rear of the air box a disconnected hose. This is a soft hose that leads to the turbo I think. So I reconnected this hose which uses no clamps and I dropped in a clean air filter. Cleared the code and took it for a hard drive of about 10 miles up to 80 mph. So far no codes thrown.

I will not relax until about a week without a CEL. This fix seemed so easy I can't believe it was the problem but it's in the apparent troubled part of the system. Question now is how much CRAP was sucked into my turbo through that loose hose and will this lead to a turbo failure in the future. Please wish me luck.

They did not damage my paint! My mistake. But they did damage the engine cover

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
More shoddy dealership service work and poor diagnostics. :(

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
It's Back

I went to the dealer today to address the broken engine cover. The shop manager was so nice I almost bought a car. They replaced the broken engine cover and told me that what I fixed was a hose to preheat air into the engine and was likely NOT the problem.

Are you ready for this? As I pull out of their parking lot the CEL comes back on again. I guess I will cancel my plans to open a shop.

I am back to square one.

1892 Rudolf

TDI
2015 Passat
Our 2015 Passat TDI had the same code, P00BD, as early as 2,000 miles into owning the car. I assumed it was because I installed a K&N filter; the code showed up a few weeks after K&N added. I removed the K&N after a week after the code. I reset it several times over the next few months. At my 10,000 mile service, I insisted the dealer fix it. They said I had a bad MAFS; The dealer ordered one and replaced it. The code still appears from time to time, then goes away on it's own. I would also like to know why my car keeps throwing the code. I don't think it's related to the K&N anymore since I've been using a stock filter for the past 40,000 miles and it's MAFS was replaced. I'll keep checking the thread for any other updates.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The problem could be a bad MAF sensor, or it could be a bad calibration issue or too-strict alarm programming in the ECU programming. Volkswagen has reflashed ECUs for too-strict NOx sensor calibration in the past.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks veeDub. I was thinking MAF originally but the shop didn't agree. Rudolf in the post above tried a new MAF with no luck but I still think it is a worthwhile try. There is also a "thing" against the firewall that I would change. Looks similar to the n75 valve. It is hooked into the whole air intake system I think.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Dealer told me that what I fixed was a hose to preheat air into the engine and was likely NOT the problem.
Well I found out that I was right about the hose I reconnected to the air box it IS PART OF THE TURBO One end goes into the air box that has a spring connected door. This will only allow air to come into the air box, through the air filter and into the engine. I guess that under load this will come into play. Question: what is on the other side of this tube? It appear to go to the back of the engine to an open end with no connection to anything. In the following picture I see there is some type of connection that I assume allows the motor to call for more air. Anybody know how this works?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-VOLKSWAG...-1K0129565AC-2012-2013-2014-OEM-/281897803595

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Also I find that the car doesn't seem to hold vacuum for long after it is shut off. My old cars would hold for days and give me braking if I rolled the car out of the garage. This one when I roll out of the garage after a few hours (maybe sooner?) I have to use a good amount of pedal force to stop. Is this normal? Where is the vacuum reservoir?

I have never heard turbo whistle from this car. Is this normal?

Thanks everyone

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I believe that pipe is just a pre-heat pipe for cold weather, and should have very little effect on engine operation.

Vacuum will typically only hold for about a day, which is normal based on reports from numerous other Passat owners over the past several years. There should be more than adequate vacuum supply when the engine is running, so I wouldn't worry about a vacuum leak right now.

The turbos on these engines are very quiet - not at all like turbos from years ago. If your hearing is at all deteriorated from age, it can make it very difficult to hear the turbo, even with the windows open.

I'd recommend buying a ScanGaugeII, hooking it up to the OBD2 port under the dash, and programming it to monitor boost pressure, engine coolant temperature, exhaust temperature (pre-turbo), and DPF temperature. Instructions for 2012 - 2014 Passats can be found here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=360498

I don't know if the above instructions will translate to a 2015, but it's worth a try to see what you get.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. I have a scan gauge from the ALH and haven't gotten around to putting in this car. Great idea to get that done and montior the boost.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
OKAY folks, I just got the car back again from the dealer. This time they re-acclimated the MAF to the computer even though they didn't change the MAF. They also loaded the latest software for the MAF system.

The regional tech guy showed up and asked them a bunch of questions about whether they did certain things or not. The crew at the dealer were not aware of these things (whatever they were) since there were no instructions to do them in their manuals. SO the regional guy told 'em what to do and there is about 100 miles now with out the MIL light coming on. I will not be sure it is fixed until problem free for at least a week.

If you are having this problem and want more info on what they did to my car call the service dept of Gephardt VW in Boulder Colorado 844-921-5705 I will post again if this fix fails! The courtesy at this shop has been first rate. I will not fault them for not being able to fix the car since the other three people in USA and Europe with this problem were unable to find solutions either. Keep your finger crossed thanks

Here is the verbatim from the receipt "Relearn procedure for the mass air sensor not performed after last repair. Procedure is not listed in repair manual or scan tool. Procedure came from VTA. Opened BTA KP-44281. Cleared code and performed test drive with scan tool to capture readings. Test drove 10 miles. Test drove like vehicle BIN FC048085. Reading are the same at idle and while driving. Performed relearn of mass air sensor per tech line."

Last edited:

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Fail, Fail, Fail

Amazing, after a high speed 1,000 mile trip to Utah and back and a month of commuting back and forth to work......You guessed it, those two codes are back. A month to the day it looks like in fact! Really thought I had this licked.

I am ready to perform an exorcism at this point. Where can I get holy oil and blessed coolant?

I was going to keep this car and sell back the sportwagen but at this point I begin to think that BOTH cars will go back to VW. I have watched the "What would you replace your car with thread" and don't see anything that will suit me like my diesels do.... sigh:confused:

Any new ideas out there on these codes?

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Mr. Scott?

The dealership has thrown in the towel which I respect them for. They are calling in an engineer which I am told are the highest trained mechanics that VW has. They train in Germany. He or she will be in Boulder tomorrow to look at my car.
I am perplexed that they haven't thrown a new MAF sensor at the car. Cheap enough and easy enough to do but VoA is telling the dealership NOT to change the MAF. If a new MAF doesn't fix it then I have wonder about the computer? Perhaps the engineer will decide to try a MAF

Interestingly the MIL, which has been on since Sunday morning, did NOT come on this morning when I started the car and drove it to the dealer. I assume they were still able to pull the codes since they are holding the car for the engineer..

Last edited:

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
VW of America has given up on this problem. My car was returned to me today with the acknowledgement that they can not fix it and the promise that VW is working on an update to address this problem that is popping up around the country.

They do not know when this update will be available. I am told to simply drive and let the dealership know if and when the mil reappears.

Of course I am not happy about this but the Boulder VW shop has treated me EXTREMELY well. I don't blame them for not being able to fix the car since they have been in contact with VoA and they can't figure it out either.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
SOLVED?!

For anyone still having this code problem: I was told by the dealer that the first phase emissions repair which they did yesterday, will repair this MIL problem. I think they may be right because the modification loosens the OBD parameters to throw a code when OBD detects an emissions system hiccup. I won't believe it for sure until I drive 5000 miles without throwing the POOBD P00BD code, but I am very hopeful.

Meanwhile: I've only driven 30 miles since I got the car back from the emissions mod yesterday but it feels the same to me right now. If you have a 2015 car you might want to consider the fix strongly. For me I just couldn't get my head around a gasoline car.

BTW: I feel I have been treated very well by the service dept at VW in Boulder Colorado

Last edited:

woolfy1341

TDI
'04 Jetta / '15 Jetta
SOLVED?!

For anyone still having this code problem: I was told by the dealer that the first phase emissions repair which they did yesterday, will repair this MIL problem. I think they may be right because the modification loosens the OBD parameters to throw a code when OBD detects an emissions system hiccup. I won't believe it for sure until I drive 5000 miles without throwing the POOBD P00BD code, but I am very hopeful.

Meanwhile: I've only driven 30 miles since I got the car back from the emissions mod yesterday but it feels the same to me right now. If you have a 2015 car you might want to consider the fix strongly. For me I just couldn't get my head around a gasoline car.

BTW: I feel I have been treated very well by the service dept at VW in Boulder Colorado

Any updates? I have a 2015 Golf that is throwing this code. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmoor052

TDI
2015 Passat
Have code with Phase 1

Hey Funguy, thanks for all of the info in this thread.

I'm new to the TDI world, so please tolerate my ignorance! :)

I recently purchased (through carvana) a post phase 1 Passat (17k miles) and it just threw the P00BD code. Took it to the dealer and they were able to read the code and give a cursory inspection. Unfortunately, they are backed up on appointments until the 15th and couldn't really dive into diagnosis further.

I'm assuming that it's safe to continue driving with this code based on your thread, but would appreciate any type of warm fuzzy or advice.

Thanks in advance!

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I am surprised that the car would have that problem if the Phase one fix was done. I didn't have any issues driving my car while it threw that code.

I think you need to be sure that the Phase one was actually done and get the phase two done also. That may need to be done soon as I received this email last week

"This is a reminder that the 2.0L Volkswagen and Audi Diesel Emissions Settlement Program will conclude on December 30, 2018. If you wish to appeal an eligibility determination related to your claim, you must submit your appeal to the Claims Review Committee by no later than January 13, 2019. Any appeals that are emailed or post-marked after January 13, 2019 will not be considered by the Claims Review Committee."\

I love my car and I think you will enjoy the ride also. I can exceed 800 miles on a tank with my manual transmission and "adult" driving.

Good luck

cmoor052

TDI
2015 Passat
I am surprised that the car would have that problem if the Phase one fix was done. I didn't have any issues driving my car while it threw that code.

I think you need to be sure that the Phase one was actually done and get the phase two done also. That may need to be done soon as I received this email last week

"This is a reminder that the 2.0L Volkswagen and Audi Diesel Emissions Settlement Program will conclude on December 30, 2018. If you wish to appeal an eligibility determination related to your claim, you must submit your appeal to the Claims Review Committee by no later than January 13, 2019. Any appeals that are emailed or post-marked after January 13, 2019 will not be considered by the Claims Review Committee."\

I love my car and I think you will enjoy the ride also. I can exceed 800 miles on a tank with my manual transmission and "adult" driving.

Good luck
Thanks for the response.

I'll be sure to follow up on any/all recalls when i take the car in next week. For now, I'm ensuring that the only code being thrown is P00BD, clearing it, and moving along with my day.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

Good luck

For clarifications that dead line you listed is for monetary compensation as part of the settlement. If the car has already had phase 1 fix, which 99% sure it does if Carvana got their hands on it, there is no money left on the table. The remaining fixes 2A or 2B are to make EPA and VWoA happy for the remainder of the warranty period.

cmoor052

TDI
2015 Passat
Guys, thanks for the input. I'm really appreciative of the knowledge that's being shared.

Yes, the car already had Phase 1 fix (verified via website and sticker on hood). I'm sure Phase 2 will happen eventually, but considering I'm only at 17.5k I've got a bit.

Last edited:

cmoor052

TDI
2015 Passat
An update, that may sound familiar...

I dropped the car off at my local dealership this morning for my appointment. Excellent, friendly service, and so far, a positive experience. This afternoon I get the update phone call. The shop foreman and the tech assigned my vehicle are at a loss for the cause of the code. They have a tech line call setup and will need the car tomorrow as well.

I’m wondering if I should just print this thread and hand it to the tech?