Lifter noise on cold startup.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
So they reused a bunch of stretch bolts and the tensioner. Nice.

BTW, Guided Fault Finding is Volkswagen's way of hand-holding technicians through a convoluted Rube Goldberg process of diagnostics that often leads to unnecessary parts replacement.

Please follow up in the miles to come as to how the car is doing.
:eek:

DieselBrownie

TDI
'13 Passat
So they reused a bunch of stretch bolts and the tensioner. Nice.

BTW, Guided Fault Finding is Volkswagen's way of hand-holding technicians through a convoluted Rube Goldberg process of diagnostics that often leads to unnecessary parts replacement.

Please follow up in the miles to come as to how the car is doing.
I'll give VW a little credit, they never told me my collapsing lifter was normal. :D

The whole repair is nice and documented. If they made the repairs outside of VW's recommendations (i.e. reusing bolts, etc) and there's a failure, it'll get taken care of. Been there, dealt with that, won't be losing any sleep. :)

I'll keep you posted.

DieselBrownie

TDI
'13 Passat
So...you'll have them document that they reused stretch bolts?
As far a documentation goes, if it's not written down, it didn't happen. It's the same when I write a pt. report. Good, bad, or otherwise, it had better be documented. If you're called to court (or in this case, likely an arbitrator) the only leg you really have to stand on is what's been documented, and even if they did replaced those bolts and forgot to charge them to the ticket (not likely,) so long as it's not on that document, it didn't happen.

Besides, it'd be much cheaper for them to just fix my car than deal with a fight that I have both the time and money to wage, not to mention I've bought 3 cars from them, and I'll likely buy more in the future as I've always had a great experience with them. So again, I'm not terribly worried about it if a problem does arise.

I AM curious though, does anyone have access to a manual where it actually states to replace these bolts upon R&R? If that does exist, I'll just print it out and drop the car back off.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
My understanding is that if a bolt is a stretch bolt, it's a single-use part, and if it's taken out for any reason, that bolt is replaced with a new one.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
It should be outlined in the ERWIN timing belt change procedure.

PaulB

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE M6
Besides, it'd be much cheaper for them to just fix my car than deal with a fight that I have both the time and money to wage
Sounds like fun.

What I want to know is, what happens if you don't get it fixed? Is it eventually going to damage the engine? I don't give a **** about noises that happen during a couple minutes of warmup, as long as it's not hurting anything. I have noticed a "tappet" noise myself a couple of times.

DieselBrownie

TDI
'13 Passat
A little followup, as promised.

I downloaded the manuals for my car from erwin the other night (thanks for the tip, VeeDubTDI) and reviewed the whole repair for myself, in search of TTY bolts and misc items involved in this repair that should have been replaced (thanks, Oilhammer.) Upon identifying the components, and a lengthy conversation with the service manager later, my car is returning tomorrow evening for fastener replacements and a new set of injector washers/seals (due to having to re-torque the injectors.) The Service Manager was very apologetic, has set me up with another car to drive (again,) and went step by step through the manual with the tech, to insure all of the disposable parts reused will be replaced. From what I gathered, this was essentially the cam sprocket bolts, the injector hold down bolts, and obviously a new set of injector seals/washers due to the re-torque. The manager said the tech didn't have to dismount the engine for the repair, so those bolts should still be intact.

I hate that it takes this sort of activism to ensure a proper repair on your car from what's supposed to be the factory's representatives, but I suppose it's for the same reasons that this forum exists, and all you helpful folks are on it!

In other news, my valvetrain has been perfectly quiet, every single start. For that, I'm glad I got the initial repair done, despite this hassle. Thanks for you guy's advice on this, and I hope that this thread will facilitate an expedient and proper repair for anyone else seeking to have this issue fixed.

Edit: Btw, I plan on marking the offending fasteners, and requesting to see them after they've been replaced. Fool me once, shame on you...)

Last edited:

DieselBrownie

TDI
'13 Passat
Sounds like fun.

What I want to know is, what happens if you don't get it fixed? Is it eventually going to damage the engine? I don't give a **** about noises that happen during a couple minutes of warmup, as long as it's not hurting anything. I have noticed a "tappet" noise myself a couple of times.

I initially wrote this noise off myself, back when it would pump itself up rather quickly. What was getting my attention, was that the length of time it was taking to pump up was growing, and the frequency of it sounding like it was fully collapsed was increasing. The example I gave in the video was not the loudest I had ever heard it, either. It went from doing this very subtly once in a while, to increasingly louder, every cold start. Whether it could or could not have made this noise throughout it's lifetime without consequences was a bet I was less and less willing to take as the problem seemed to grow.

Despite the hassle, I'm glad to have it fixed and documented while it's still within warranty. I really love this car, and was a bit disappointed that it was having internal engine issues, after having really good luck with my previous Jetta.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
That is great news! Glad they are (finally) taking care of you properly.

Unfortunately, your experience is a textbook example of why many people on here steer clear of the dealers. If you don't know how to do the repair, they probably don't either. :eek:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
And this is why I take the position I do. Sure, an HLA noise during warm up isn't ideal, and even if it is somewhat common it doesn't make it "right", but at what cost does a remedy come? If the "repair" is done half-assed, then does it really count?

I see day in and day out dealer service department butchery, and am so sick of it some days I feel I could throw puppies into a meat grinder :mad: . Seriously, I think these M&P assclowns would be better off leaving an original timing belt in place and letting the owner take their chances running it well beyond the specified interval than having some hack attempt the job and do it all wrong.

I have three TDIs in the shop today: a 200k mile BEW that is getting a timing belt job redone (M&P), a 200k mile BRM that got a new cam and lifters, which also revealed a past M&P job in addition to the wrong oil (that they STILL continue to push, at 5k intervals no less!), and a 125k mile CBEA car that I am still in the process of trying to get everything back in place after a dealer turbo replacement gone awry. 3 cars, all 3 previously messed up by the EXACT SAME DEALER. :rolleyes:

DieselBrownie

TDI
'13 Passat
I see day in and day out dealer service department butchery, and am so sick of it some days I feel I could throw puppies into a meat grinder :mad: .
Sort of like when Walmart decided to start the quick-lube department? :D

I blame the flat-rate system. What incentive is there to do the job right, as opposed to "good enough that it won't re-check anytime soon?"

Add that to the growing pressure of bad service management practices, corporate takeover of dealerships, manufactures randomly trimming down labor op times to claim they "paid out less in warranty claims this year," despite the quality of the product not improving, service advisers that were never mechanics with unrealistic expectations, etc.... I can't imagine why good people don't stay at dealerships. :rolleyes:

I spent the last 4 of my mechanic years in a fleet, and it was downright luxurious to be allowed to do my job well, without the above having any influence on my paycheck.

dogger37

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 passat
So can someone explain to me the difference between normal cold diesel start up noise and a bad lifter ?? How should the passat TDI sound at cold start up? Should it be different than when warm or no?

This is my first vw and my first diesel

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
Mine sounds exactly the same warm or cold, just a louder diesel rattle when throttle is applied.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
well, fast forward to this morning. Seems Its my turn for the collapsed lifter! Backed out, Ran back inside to grab my phone, and herd this:

Link edited
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPICkoXTOAs

Mileage 9,500
Garage temperature: 50F
Oil: factory oil, still on full mark
Problems prior: Zero

ironically today I drove the wife to work so I could swing past the dealer for its first oil change, They advised not to push the panic button yet and give the fresh LL03 oil a chance.
But iv been building engines for a really long time and that's a dry lifter for sure. Noise went away once warm

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
well, fast forward to this morning. Seems Its my turn for the collapsed lifter! Backed out, Ran back inside to grab my phone, and herd this:

http://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=EPICkoXTOAs

Mileage 9,500

ironically today I drove the wife to work so I could swing past the dealer for its first oil change, They advised not to push the panic button yet and give the fresh LL03 oil a chance.
But iv been building engines for a really long time and that's a dry lifter for sure. Noise went away once warm
How long did that take? Are you hearing the noise at every cold start-up?
I know for sure that my engine at 36k is noisier at start-up than when new. I'm not talking "diesel" rattle, just more noise...can't really explain it it just feels loose, unlike my 70k mile JSW. My wife, who drives the car every day, even asked me at one point if there was something wrong with the engine. If SHE noticed it, then there must have been a start or two that were noisier than usual.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
We hit the highway and never herd it again, but you can bet I'll be waking up at 5am the next few mornings to listen.

superchud

TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI SE w/ Sunroof (DSG)

http://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=EPICkoXTOAs

Mileage 9,500

Video link is broken. Would like to hear what this sounds like for future reference.

Ramairetransam

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
2012 passat makes tick sound on cold start up

It has now done it to me two times in a row on cold start ups , i will get a vid tomorrow am and see if i can capture it , never noticed it before , 33k on it .

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Lifter not pumping up. (Actually leaking down, then taking a brief time to pump up.) Shades of the old Chrysler Slant Six. Very likely not serious. All the same it shouldn't be making this noise.

With the old six we just learned to accept the racket. With that engine putting out so little horsepower the noise assured us that something was actually stirring under the hood. Otherwise there may have been a question. 95 hp out of 225 cubic inches as I remember pushing a hunk of metal and rust heavier than your Passat. Those were the days!

With a new TDI I wouldn't be quite so charitable. If your particular tech is paid by fixed rate, then I might understand why he's not excited. Lifter replacement means cam removal... Which means timing belt removal. The coming apart isn't a big deal. Going back together is! There's no room for error. And then the matter of the time involved to do the procedure correctly.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree, most likely shutting down with the effected lifter (and valve) open making the leak down happen, 5w30 oil should pump them back up in seconds though. FYI mine hasn't done it since, iv woke up at 5am to watch the wife back out every day- all good for now!
We had a Dodge 360ci in our camper van- it also took forever to pump the tappets up.

Driver_found

Veteran Member
TDI
Former MKV Jetta TDI 5M, Former 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2015 Mazda 6 Touring 6m
Add me to the list of people with the noise. Sounds very clackity when cold. Especially under load. After a few mins, the noise goes away. At 48k miles now. Almost time for an oil change anyway.
Wonder if anyone who has an oil pan heating system also has the noise?

Will check with the dealer after the new year.
2013 Passat TDI 6m

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
My lifter noise is also gone after the 1st oil change. :)

dogger37

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 passat
So has this noise been verified as the lash adjuster being bad for sure? Could it also be fuel knock from being cold? Its the RPM variability that makes me wonder...

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
not fuel knock, iv had a bad injector before and this was 100% a hydro lifter- but after the 1st oil change hasn't happened since

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Could a guru please address how the "1st oil change" could have changed the lifter noise? Is the Castrol 5-30 thicker than the so-called "break-in" oil?