HELP!! -"Dirty" diesel destroyed my 2009 TDI!?

tdiluvin

TDI
2009 Jetta Wagon TDI
Wow - I'm not sure where to start, but my new to me 2009 TDI Jetta died on me yesterday.

The dealership is saying that the fuel samples they have pulled are full of "filing" from either "biodiesel" or "gasoline" - Well, given I've only filled the car up once since owning it, and I KNOW I put Chevron Diesel in it, which came recommended, I don't know what to do next?
They are telling me its a full fuel system replace - $6500...are you kidding me?

So what are my options??
- Go after Chevron? Ya right...
- Get a second opinion?!?
- What else?!?!

I'm completely speechless...

Help!?

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
first of all you need to get a fuel sample and get it tested...second which test the dealer did to says that your fuel was contaminated? Styrofoam cup test? If so it is not reliable, they need to have the fuel tested by a lab.
Also, go to the fuel station and talk to the manager, if it really is contaminated fuel they won't have any problem to confirm it, they are insured and will cover your repair.
Anyway you are not alone, google "HPFP" and search this forum.

Fill a complaint with NHTSA.

Look here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=299854

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=308323

Good luck!

tdiluvin

TDI
2009 Jetta Wagon TDI
Picture below from the dealership...

I fail to believe this can happen from one tank, and also, the gas station I went to is reporting NO other problems...

Fuel was 5% biodiesel...

I'm going to go after the dealership for this, I've only filled the car once...since I've owned it...I believe they sold me the car with this problem building...

tdi dirty by Volvoluvin, on Flickr

tid dirty 2 by Volvoluvin, on Flickr

tdi dirty 4 by Volvoluvin, on Flickr

tdi dirty 3 by Volvoluvin, on Flickr

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
how many miles does the car have? When did you buy it?

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Wow - I'm not sure where to start, but my new to me 2009 TDI Jetta died on me yesterday.
I think you bought a pig in a poke. Unless the diesel fuel was contaminated, this damage was well in the works when you purchased the car... plenty of glitter in those pictures.

What sort of buyer protections exist in BC/Canada for this kind of issue?

Fill a complaint with NHTSA.
The (United States) National Highway Transportation Safety Administration has no jurisdiction in Canada.

Claudio

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta SW
the ones in the pictures looks like the metal shavings coming from the pump (HPFP) that destroyed itself...again get a fuel sample done by a lab, call VWOA right away...it is a known problem, the dealer is just playing dumb here trying to blame it on you.
Also, get a receipt from the fuel station to prove that you used Diesel and not gas

jmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6MT
I'm on my smartphone so picture viewing isn't optimal, but the only "contamination" I see in that is yhe dust that your HPFP exploded into.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
how many miles does the car have? When did you buy it?
To which I'd add: Where did you buy it? Private party, "curb-sider", used-car dealer? As mentioned above, the High Pressure Fuel Pump issue is well known - except for some handicapped dealers who appear to have suffered from a bout of deafness, as they keep saying they've "never heard" of this design/manufacturing flaw.

Good luck - but even more than luck, a good lawyer may be more helpful...

Yuri

tdiluvin

TDI
2009 Jetta Wagon TDI
Car has 83k kms on it...it's a baby.

And thanks for the heads up no what those filing are from...

I'm going to get the fuel tested asap, not sure where, but I'm going to get a sample from the dealership tomorrow.

This is total crap, I agree with all of you. I've contacted the Gas Station, and so far, no reports of other vehicles having any issues what so ever. It's a fairly high traffic station for diesel from what I can tell, so I can't be the only one if this is contaminated gas.

I've already gone back to the dealership and said it's either through a lawyer, or them...but I'm not dropping a dime on this. I bought the car 3 weeks ago, I've put one tank of diesel into it, and this happens...

Good times...

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
So, did you buy it from this dealership?? How many miles since ownership??
This was NOT a one time fill-up issue. Is there not a filter before the HPFP to catch fuel impurities??

Cogen Man

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI DSG.
Yes, I think a lawyer is in order here. The dealership will play dumb as to the car having a problem with the HPFP. And to be honest they probably didn't know it if the car had never been serviced there. If it was and properly they will have the service records on file. Should have had at least 4 fuel filter changes if maintained properly. But who knows. Did you get the service history before you purchased ? Yes, get a sample of that fuel and have it tested ASAP. I have a feeling this could get ugly. :( :eek:

Last edited:

tdiluvin

TDI
2009 Jetta Wagon TDI
So, did you buy it from this dealership?? How many miles since ownership??
This was NOT a one time fill-up issue. Is there not a filter before the HPFP to catch fuel impurities??
I bought the car 3 weeks ago from a VW Dealership - Came with a full tank of diesel...(haha), I've filled up once on Jun 2...
Yes, I think a lawyer is in order here. The dealership will play dumb as to the car having a problem with the HPFP. And to be honest they probably didn't know it if the car had never been serviced there. If it was and properly they will have the service records on file. Should have had at least 4 fuel filter changes if maintained properly. But who knows. Did you get the service history before you purchased ? Yes, get a sample of that fuel and have it tested ASAP. I have a feeling this could get ugly. :( :eek:
The car was serviced by a VW dealership close by, but not the one I bought it from. I reviewed the service history at time of purchase, but haven't looked at the detail of the filter changes if at all.
I'll be picking up the fuel sample tomorrow - Any ideas on where to take it to be tested?
And yes, this is going to get ugly - I've already told them that either they are covering it, or I'm getting a lawyer. It's complete BS.

Last edited:

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
Just inspected mine @ 67k. Both the orifice and sensor/screen were spotless. Sorry about last pic out of focus.

Also, I noticed some corrosion around the sensor flange on yours that wasn't on mine so perhaps yours has been exposed to fuel with water.

tdiluvin

TDI
2009 Jetta Wagon TDI
Is there ANY chance that 1 tank of not perfect diesel could do this? Or even a tank of 5% biofuel?..??.?

tdiluvin

TDI
2009 Jetta Wagon TDI
Funny - This is what the dealership is trying to pin on me...

Lovely experience this buying a CPO from a VW dealership so far...
- Key fobs didn't work within 1 hour of driving off the lot
- Car die's 1000km's into ownership and they tell me I broke it...

Wonder what's next...

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
Really sorry to learn of your problem but do look forward to how the situation is handled by your dealer.

Niner

duplicate account, banned
0Lawyer up now, and say nothing to VW, do a search on HPFP failures here on TDI club, and class action lawsuits against VW for this type of dealership trickery. Surely VW warrantys what they sell, even used.

Anyone that says they don't have these Bosch HPFP problems in Canada, and that their fuel is better is going to possibly get a rude awakening.

I would also go to the dealership that serviced that car previously and ask for all the service records and pay attention to what was serviced and any engine codes that show up on the paperwork. You are looking for a P0082 engine code, i believe which tells you that the engine had low common rail fuel pressure, which would mean that the dealership knew that this was a pre existing condition, and did incomplete diagnosis as to the cause before selling it to you.

Last edited:

flyboy320

Veteran Member
TDI
2018 e-Golf
There was another member here at tdiclub from BC and he had a failure out of warrante and I believe he got VW to foot some of the bill, I can't remember for sure. I'll have a look for his thread and you should contact him to find out how he handled it.

Here it is...

Look at post #539

Last edited:

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
Look in the back of your Owners manual for the right number to call to file a complaint.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
Is there ANY chance that 1 tank of not perfect diesel could do this? Or even a tank of 5% biofuel?..??.?
As others have said, no. I've run B5 up to maybe B20 as well as additives since the beginning. I also have found minute amounts of metal flake in my filter since about 20k. More recently I discovered a rusty sediment in a FF change around 40K and found quite a bit of it inside the lift pump located in my tank and the steel rods supporting the top/bottom of the lift pump were corroding. However, I've never seen any water in my FF canister or in the tank and never any metal in the orfice/sensor area having checked it twice now. Perhaps I'm lucky. To me it looks like yours has been exposed to water and not just a singular instance.