Installed A JVC Double Din mkiv

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
Just thought I'd share the pics of the new install. For those who are OEM Look buffs like me. It is the closest I could find for color match and it comes with built in bluetooth. Model number is KW-XR810 . Oh and I got it on sale for 200 bucks.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
So how is the fit? can't tell much from the night pictures. Does it need an adapter to mount it?

A_Shifter

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
Very nice...Been looking for a decent replacement myself...
Is this a Monsoon replacement?
Steering wheel controls compatible?
Might do this sooner rather than later :)

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
Not sure about the monsoon, Steering wheel compatible with a cable. No adapter for the dash needed, Just bent the tabs in the supplied one to hold it in place. The fit looks pretty good, no gaps. It's shiny black during the day. My only peeve, but if someone can find me an aftermarket deck that is soft touch covered I'd love to see it. As long as it could also change colors and have full iPod support, oh ya and bluetooth Included. Sound through stock speakers is 10 times better.

Last edited:

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
I can't find a link for it, but its just a harness that I had to solder onto the one that came with the stereo. It attaches to the stock harness on the other end. Very easy, took about 5 minutes to cut and solder them all. The whole install took about 1 hour.

whyfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI Wagon auto. transmission
Interested in selling your OEM radio unit?

Think it would fit into a 1999.5 "new" Jetta radio slot?

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
I dont know if it would, but I think it's not worth selling anyways. For the cost of shipping to the unit I think I'm just going to keep it in case anything happens to the car anyways. Thanks for the interest though.

Rooney

TDI
2002 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
Hey, i have an 02 Jetta and i just bought the exact same deck and everything. My question is, did you cut your "Kwire"?
i have read on some forums about this "kwire" and i have no idea what it looks like (color).
Also, did you just get a wiring harness from best buy or something?
tell me all the details as to what you did for this install, it would really be much appreciated.

you also said that you didnt need an install kit? how snug was the fit into the dash?

OH and do your steering wheel buttons work?

Thanks a million

Neil
PS> please email....new to TDI club and not on it much lol
neil.rooney@hotmail.com

Last edited:

timirving

TDI
2005 Golf TDI GLS; 2002 Jetta TDI GLS
I would love more info too. It looks like you got the steering wheel controls to work. Can you post the specific harness you needed? I like the way it looks :)
Also, I'd love to see a pic of it in the daytime.

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SWIJACK/PAC-SWI-JACK.html?tp=3405 - Steering wheel module.

They have a harness on crutchfield too but it looks mega and is way more expensive, the one I bought was 20 bucks. Maybe the crutchfield one is meant to prevent the can-bus from sending the codes? I'll try and take a day photo quick tomorrow. It's been minus 20 for the past little while and we all know the diesel doesn't like to warm up. As little time and possible is spent in my car at the moment.

Last edited:

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am finally replacing my El Cheapo Pioneer (130$) in the next week or so with a Pioneer DVD player AVH P3200 BT. Have all the connectors to wire it to the steering wheel just need to get on the VW wiring diagram and find where to hook up the reverse wire.

copilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Ordered this, should be here this week. Sonicelectronix included the wiring harness and a mounting kit for free.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't know about the cheap plastic mounting kit but if you get the all metal kit like Pioneer makes it fits into the dash tight, but very good. everything looks almost stock. I went with the Pioneer AVH P3200 BT DD with the Metra Axxess ASWC Steering wheel controller. Crutchfield pushes PAC but with pac you need more then one box to hook up the controls with Metra Axxess it is one box fits most cars and VWs at least up to 03 40$ and couple of wires to hook up and you are ready to rock

copilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Received my unit today and I'm kicking myself for not ordering a soldering iron at the same time. Can't wait to get this installed.

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
Mine came with a metal mounting kit. I'm glad i picked this one still. Only problem I have with it so far, after listening to an Ipod album, it takes you back to number one on play all albums.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Received my unit today and I'm kicking myself for not ordering a soldering iron at the same time. Can't wait to get this installed.
Get one of Weller's portable propane Irons they are small for getting into tight places and had different tips like a torch for putting on shrink tubing. Cost is higher I paid 50$ for mine but that was years ago and you can find them on Ebay a good deal cheaper. Makes is easy to solder a wire on the back side of the fuse box to fuse 10 wire, which lets the key work the radio like stock. (03 jetta)

copilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Thanks for the recommendation Birdman. I ended up getting a cheap pen style iron from radio shack for this job but I think I'll source a better quality unit in the future so I can do more. It worked pretty well and the install only took maybe twenty minutes. Radio is in and happy. Thanks for the photos/recommendation CGDoig I really like this unit.

audibahn

TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Just installed the same radio and like all the features. I was wondering how well the bluetooth phone works for you guys? When my blackberry is connected, the conversation is coming in great over the speakers, but the reception on the other end is miserable at best. Tried different mic settings, cancellation on/off, etc. but the sound is still choppy and echoes. I mounted the mic in the same position as in the picture, right above the radio. Tried different locations, but overall, could not get it to work well. Any advice?

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
I have the same problem but I've only used it while driving so I'm sure the exhaust and turbo interfere a lot. I have it mounted through the blank above the stereo too. Probably just a cheap mic. Maybe try a better one? I may do that and report.

torifile

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 BMW 335D
Looking at this unit for my 2005 Golf. I'm having a hard time figuring out what's needed. The unit + a wiring harness? I don't solder so I'd prefer to spend an extra few bucks getting a harness that works. On Crutchfield, they say "this unit NOT recommended for your car". Any idea why?

CGDoig

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta GLS MKIV
I'm pretty sure you're going to have to solder regardless of application. If you buy a wiring harness you'll have to attach it to the one on the stereo somehow, they don't make one that plugs into the stereo and directly hooks to the car plug because then theyd have to make one for every car in the world. You could use crimp butt connectors but they take up a lot of space when there's 18 of them crammed back there. Also on crutchfield it says that every double din stereo is "not recommended" but it says that singles work.