Webasto diesel fired coolant heater on MK7 Golf

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Thinking a 12v 5.2kw coolant heater would be nice to have on the diesel for winter. Has anyone else looked into this? Where would be the best place to install and tie this into the coolant system with all the different coolant pumps the car has and the way the car breaks the system into 3 seperate smaller systems based on perameters in the program. Thoughts?

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
The title says diesel heater and the text says electric. Which one do you want?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
KW is just a unit of energy, just like BTU, heck your TDI is rated around 105 KW. It should be more like 5.4kw/hr rating. My whole house wood boiler is rated at 40KW/hr which is 140,000 BTUs. UNITS ARE FUN!!!

Webastos/espars use a 12v ingnitor/glowplug to light off the combustion process, but once it's running i believe it doesn't use any battery power.

It is an OEM option across the pond so it can be done on the MQB platform, the "Off" button for the HVAC is converted to a webasto/espar button, that looks like cooking bacon.

Biggest thing I think would need would be coding to run those electric coolant pumps for a little bit to really circulate the coolant.

https://shops.volkswagen.com/en_GB/...0054980d-10?category=4310:904_VWZ_OZ:Category

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They use electricity to run the fuel pump and internal fan. At least, that is how they work on everything else I have seen that uses them, including my Sprinter. It will time out and/or shut off if the battery voltage goes too low.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
The frost heater is able to heat the whole block without using the cars coolant pumps. Im sure in europe they probably tie them into the parking heater systems but im not sure its required.

mxtdiguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'16 sportwagen TDI sel 6mt
I used to have one in a camper van. It draws about 10 amps when starting up, then drops to about 3 amps while running. It's loud and sounds like a jet engine because it has an internal turbine combustion system.
They can be temperamental and they have to be serviced every once in a while.

Mine was made by Espar

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
They are great in RV's and vans. Probably overkill and unnecessary in the tdi cars outside of the arctic circle. Some 0w-30 oil (507) and an electric block/coolant heater ought to be more than sufficient for almost everyone.

oilhammer

TDI
I know on my Sprinter the heater SUCKS if the fuel fired booster is not on. It comes on automatically at start up if the coolant temp is below a certain threshold, I think around 35 F, but gets locked out if the fuel tank is below about 1/4 tank. And boy howdy you know when it doesn't come on. But when it DOES come on, the vents are not only pushing out warm air in about 45 seconds, but the ENGINE gets up to temp MUCH faster. So it is both good for the passengers and the engine.

However my experience with at least the CBEA and CJAA engines is that they warm up fairly quickly and coupled with the electric grid heater most use, they seem to make heat within a reasonable amount of time (much faster than my VE and PD TDIs). But in every case, the car needs to be driven right away.

PREheating the car is a different story, and I feel is most useful if you have to park the car outside overnight in very cold climates. I think a fully functioning, integrated fuel fired heater would be an option that many US (and certainly Canadian) market TDI buyers would have gladly paid for.

My Vanagon has one, too, and it has a timer but you have to go out and turn it on. But it'll run for about 10 minutes which is enough to get some heat in the cabin as well as in the engine. Which helps the old IDI diesel start happily in the cold.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Looks like the place to install it is left front under bumper cover. The fuel sending unit should already have the connection on it to get fuel. Looks like it should plumb into the coolant system infront of the frostheater. Also it looks like vcds integration may not be so bad. It might be worth getting the wiring harness from VW but i havent really looked into that.

oilhammer

TDI
A lot of work for a car you are selling, eh?

I thought you bought a Toyota and came back to tell us how awful Volkswagens are and how we are all a bunch of morons for liking them? Why the flip flopping?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you're prob confusing him with the dozens of other posters here that have done that.

oilhammer

TDI

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
A lot of work for a car you are selling, eh?
I thought you bought a Toyota and came back to tell us how awful Volkswagens are and how we are all a bunch of morons for liking them? Why the flip flopping?
Yes im trying to sell but no one is buying so it looks like ill be keeping it. Yes my BRM was a constant pain in my rear but i really like the Golf. Not one issue in the 40,000 miles ish ive had it and only wana sell to get out of the payments. Yes i did buy a corolla and it gave me 50,000 ish care free miles but it was slow and not as well built as a VW. A buck took the corolla at 80mph and totalled it. Now i have the golf. If i had bought an ALH to start with i probably would have had a better initial outlook on VW. There cars are well put together and yes have issue but none more than other brands. Im team VW. Yes a webasto is a huge commitement and investment in the car and im not 100% sure itll even happen its just something id like to do but ya never know. And if i ever did the webasto id just like to have some fellow members insight into possible issues or ideas.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nope, it is him:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=489251
And here he was selling his 2006 that he had nothing nice to say about later on:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=435571
Pretty sure he bought a Corolla and came back to poke fun at us, LOL.
No harm done, I'm not worried, I just think it is funny. I hope he stays. :)

Ahh I hardly spend time with the BRM threads, amazing memory you have.

As for the webasto, I'd say survive your first winter, then think if it'd be worth the extra cash and time, I'm thinking it wont.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Been threw one winter with it and my issue is after the car sits in works parking lot for 13 hours at -20* it starts right off but fogs the windsheild so bad i cant drive. Cant warm the winsheild to defrost it without driving it. Trying anti fog for right now but if car was at temp it wouldnt be an issue.

oilhammer

TDI
That's odd, because normally when the air is that cold it is also very dry, and window fogging isn't an issue. That's why the A/C is inhibited below a certain temp.

The times I have experienced temps that cold, I didn't even need to scrape the windshield. Most if not all the ice was gone due to sublimation. We had a -28 F winter here two years ago. It got UP to -12 F that day. :p Was sunny and bright too.

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I have the same issue with the windshield fogging in the winter. Its a few miles before I get a clear view in the morning. Its like driving in dense fog. I avoid wiping down the inside of the window because I hate the streak marks that come with it but sometimes the fog just becomes dangerous and I have no choice.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
My car windshield seems to fog every now and then. I have read about switching the vents from the defrost before turning off the car as means to reduce it.

ssffnomad

Veteran Member
TDI
2015, GSW, S, TDI, 6MT. 5/2017
What stinks is after I drive 1/2 blind for a few miles to Corner store / Coffee shop. Ya can not leave it running and lock doors .

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've mostly heard good things about the Webasto heaters, but I ran into a Vixen RV (it was the manual trans., BMW turbo diesel version- super cool) owner about a year ago that said that his Webasto had been nothing but a royal pita. He switched to propane heat. Keep in mind that was a 30 year old heater and improvements have likely been made over the years. If you've never heard of the Vixen RV's, look them up. They supposedly got up to 30 mpg on diesel!

oilhammer

TDI
Those were great back when they sold them here, and we had 55 MPH speed limits. But now I'd be scared poopless to try and drive one down the highway.

We had a customer that had one years ago, it was pretty neat, but it was not going to win any races. Amazing how much more power modern diesels can make.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Been threw one winter with it and my issue is after the car sits in works parking lot for 13 hours at -20* it starts right off but fogs the windsheild so bad i cant drive. Cant warm the winsheild to defrost it without driving it. Trying anti fog for right now but if car was at temp it wouldnt be an issue.

Sounds like you issue isn't lack of heat, but moisture in the car. Soon as you shut down the cold windshield next to the hot engine bay causes that condensation.

Check for any water under floor mats, or in the hatch, water tight seals and MK7 are not two words that are commonly spoke in the same sentence.

Oil Hammer is correct ambient air in winter is crazy dry, so that moisture that's in your car has been there for quite some time. Try and drive the car get her nice a hot crank the cabin heat, and then crack a window or two, get some dry air into the cabin and dry it out. Another option is get some of those silica gel packs and toss under a seat.

Also don't feel bad it seems like it may be a GSW wide fault.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9264959-Water-Infiltration-issue-Non-Pano-Roof

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Those were great back when they sold them here, and we had 55 MPH speed limits. But now I'd be scared poopless to try and drive one down the highway.
We had a customer that had one years ago, it was pretty neat, but it was not going to win any races. Amazing how much more power modern diesels can make.
That's what you'd think with 120? hp in an RV. But they were extremely aerodynamic and light (for an rv) . Top speed was claimed to be 100 mph. The only time I ran into one on the road I was amazed at how well it accelerated from a stop. Same bmw idi engine they used in the Lincoln mkvii.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Sounds like you issue isn't lack of heat, but moisture in the car. Soon as you shut down the cold windshield next to the hot engine bay causes that condensation.
Check for any water under floor mats, or in the hatch, water tight seals and MK7 are not two words that are commonly spoke in the same sentence.
Oil Hammer is correct ambient air in winter is crazy dry, so that moisture that's in your car has been there for quite some time. Try and drive the car get her nice a hot crank the cabin heat, and then crack a window or two, get some dry air into the cabin and dry it out. Another option is get some of those silica gel packs and toss under a seat.
Also don't feel bad it seems like it may be a GSW wide fault.
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9264959-Water-Infiltration-issue-Non-Pano-Roof
Mines a straight golf, not gsw. No pano.

mheat

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW, 03 JSW
KW is just a unit of energy, just like BTU, heck your TDI is rated around 105 KW. It should be more like 5.4kw/hr rating. My whole house wood boiler is rated at 40KW/hr which is 140,000 BTUs. UNITS ARE FUN!!!

kw/hr is not a unit. The correct unit is 5.4 kW (= 18432 BTU/hr)

It is the the difference between power (kW) and energy (kW-h, ie. kW x h).
Your heater is rated in kW (power) and you pay your electricity company for energy (kW-h), ie. power consumption X time.

kdawg89

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf DSG 06 Jetta (sold)
If you go through with it make a write up! I would like to do it but I’m not committed enough to figure it all out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk