1995 Passat B4V, AFN TDi swap, Project car (Lexington, KY)

linuxbatm

TDI
95 B4V Wagon with AFN Swap
CAR IS SOLD

To be upfront, this car has been sitting for 3 years at this point and should certainly be considered a project. It will start and run, but needs a new battery and some tlc for sure. The plan with this car was to find another wagon, with less rust, better paint, and a US title that would make it a bit cheaper on insurance. Obviously life got in the way and sadly this car just sat in my backyard rotting away. The interior was in pretty good shape, but due to some humidity issues its very mildewy at this point and would need a deep cleaning to be servicable. The cluster is non-functioning. As far as any of the other features its hard to say because its been off the road so long. This car has a lot of fantastic parts to include an AFN engine and a lot of new wear items. I cannot stress enough that you need to trailer or ship this car to your house. It once was very reliable for me, and i drove it on a few 1000 mile plus trips without issue, however being parked for 3 years can bring out a lot of issues. I honestly just want this car to go to an enthusiast who can make their project what they want it to be. I don't want to keep letting it rot away because my life got in the way, someone else should enjoy what i wanted to make this car. There will be a lot of spare parts included, an entire sunroof assembly, spare seatbelts, wiring harnesses and plugs for electrical repair. I believe i have a complete GLX cluster with the MFA, and all the required wiring and stalks. I collected as many parts as i could from junkyards, and all those will come with the car.

I have no idea what this is worth, the price is extremely negotiable for the right person. My primary interest is getting this out of the way and onto someone who has time to deal with it. I probably have over $5000 invested, but I have no delusions that I will receive anything but a small portion of that back.

Price drop to $1000 as it sits, but don't be afraid to make an offer

Now for specifics, the car is a 1995 Passat TDi wagon that originally came from Canada.* When this car was imported into Canada, there was a free trade agreement with Germany that allowed cars to be imported without any other regulatory hurdles.* As such, Canada got a 1995 diesel model while the US did not.* The owner prior to me imported the car from canada and replaced the AAZ IDI engine with an AFN TDi from a european passat.* The AFN is more advanced and has more power than the 1z/ahu engine common in the US.* It has a VNT turbo, different ECU mapping, and larger injectors than the AHU, but otherwise is 100% parts compatible with the US TDi engine.* The swap itself was installed at 320,000 miles by KMH motors in Lowell, MA.* They also installed a US spec Cluster at that time instead of the KPH one installed by the factory.* I'm not really sure of what the total mileage of the car is, as it wasnt well documented and the clusters voltage regulator burnt out during the car's extended slumber. The timing belt, water pump, and all fluids were changed.* When I purchased the car it had sat for almost a year, but was still running great.*

During the time I've owned it the car has had quite a bit of preventative maintenance done.* Shocks and struts for the front and back were replaced, along with all of the accessories(Bump stops, Dust boots, Bearings, etc.)* I also replaced all of the bushings and mounts for the suspension, and replaced all 3 engine mounts.* I replaced the original axles which developed a noise with Raxle rebuilds, which are highly regarded.* The rear brake shoes, springs, and drums were all replaced with new parts.* Brake Fluid was replaced and flushed with new.* I had a slight leak at the coolant outlet so I replaced it with new parts.* Installed some replacement Rockford Fosgate speakers in all 4 doors.* AC line was repaired professionally with crimp fittings as shown in the pictures.* AC blows cold, and heat works great.* The blend door in the climate control mixer was starting to disintegrate, and would occasionally blow bits of foam out of the vents, but that is an extremely common problem with this model.* The rear 2 mufflers were getting a bit loud, so I replaced those with new vehicle specific units.* Rear hatch struts have been replaced with new units.

Flaws with the car:
Beyond being parked for 3 years, and the issues that come along with that you can see the paint is not fantastic, even beyond the dirt.* It has clearly been repainted at some point, and although nothing is peeling and the paint is quite serviceable, you can see some orange peel at many places around the car.* To me this was never a huge issue as I wasn't trying to impress anyone with a 95 wagon anyway.* Car does have some spots of rust underneath.* No penetrations or structural issues anywhere, but this was a Canadian car and as such had a rougher life than many that remained state side.* My plan was always to take the swap out of this car and move it into a cleaner wagon that was gasoline powered.* Never got around to it but you certainly have everything you need to do that if you wanted.*
Any questions please don't hesitate to email and thanks for looking!

Pictures of the car a few years ago before being parked full time

UPDATED PHOTOS

I spent about 5 minutes with some vinegar and a rag to clean out the drivers side. It cleaned up very well, and if someone spent some more time on this I'm sure it would look like new. I just dont have the free time right now. I also added a video of the car running. Started right up after probably 2 years of sitting.

I also included pictures of all the spare parts i could find.

New Pictures

Video of car running

Last edited:

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
I know this car. Was mine for a short while, then my Dad drove it a bit. He had it painted. The body was solid but the PO had driven extensively on gravel roads so there were paint chips everywhere. Started out life as an AAZ.

It seems the market on these B4Vs has really weakened in recent times. While I don't consider $1500 out to lunch there are a couple of these listed on here for only a bit more and are already drivers. For max $ a part out may be required.

linuxbatm

TDI
95 B4V Wagon with AFN Swap
I appreciate you chiming in. The price is pretty negotiable, and I know I could get a lot more for this parting it out, but I really just don't have the time. I have been intending on parting it out for 2-3 years now haha. I would rather sell it to someone who can use whatever parts they need and sell the rest to help fund it.

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E
No problem. Just trying to shed some light on this car.

I'm getting a B4V back that i owned for a number of years and would love a parts car but you're a little too far.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
If I still had a garage i’d Pick this up for the raxles and the spare AFN. Sorry I can’t be of any assistance.

Good deal right here, someone take away my temptation.

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
Hi all,

Can anyone describe the difference in FEEL of the AFN motor in this vehicle vs. a 1Z with Malone stage 2 tuning and Basio powerplus 764 nozzles?

Is there anything different parts-wise that would make this motor a better starting point for a project over a 1Z motor?

Thanks
Steve