Off Road diesel question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jahlov420

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 sportwagen MANUAL! DPF-Delete @ stage 2
My local fuel stop has off road stuff for about 15 cents less a gallon. I guess there is a red Dyne in it to show road tax or whatever. I have deleted my dpf so if I wanted to save a few bucks, would it matter if I wanted to do this?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It would matter insofar as it would be illegal, and the fines if caught far outweigh any savings. Get a tractor if you want the off road stuff.

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
I'm also assuming that the OP was making the post with tongue in cheek as DPF delete solutions are always sold with the proviso that they are for 'off road use only'.
I used to live in a small town that had a third pump with furnace oil in it. Only stipulation was that you had to pump it into jerry cans.

jahlov420

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 sportwagen MANUAL! DPF-Delete @ stage 2
It doesn't sound worth it for saving 2 bucks on a fill up. I may try it out one day as this station usually just has 1 worker at the register and it's usually an old Indian guy. He probably wouldn't car or even notice a car is parked up to the pump and it takes credit cards.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
No... Just, NO.

Regardless of weather or not your car is setup for "off road usage" the possible fines greatly outweigh any benefit you'd get from it.

The only two benefits I know of:
-It's dyed red so if you have someone working on your car or someone takes a fuel sample they know you have untaxed diesel in your tank
-It costs less. But again it does because there's no road tax on it.

The fines and issues you may have running the off road stuff has been linked already.
In the end there's no real benefit to filling your tank up with that stuff.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
The road taxes help to fix the bridges and roads....and as you can see, they are in bad shape....
So ethically...NO.
LEGALLY...NO
MECHANICALLY...was once no, but now that off road fuel is the same spec as road fuel, yes...
But if you get caught... BIG FINES...and living in the land so close to DC, with so many folks who either work in government, or have spouses that do, or neighbors...
Can you imingine...I saw a guy pumping off road DIESEL into a car...and it get around...local cop who USUALLY only does trucks, pulls you over...takes. Sample of fuel ..and BAMM!! YOU GET A FIBE and the story hits the news...go viral...
So you could save $2 on a fillup....

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
The road taxes help to fix the bridges and roads....and as you can see, they are in bad shape....
So ethically...NO.
LEGALLY...NO
MECHANICALLY...was once no, but now that off road fuel is the same spec as road fuel, yes...
But if you get caught... BIG FINES...and living in the land so close to DC, with so many folks who either work in government, or have spouses that do, or neighbors...
Can you imingine...I saw a guy pumping off road DIESEL into a car...and it get around...local cop who USUALLY only does trucks, pulls you over...takes. Sample of fuel ..and BAMM!! YOU GET A FIBE and the story hits the news...go viral...
So you could save $2 on a fillup....
Playing devils advocate on this one but most law enforcement can't tell a TDI from a GTI. It's highly unlikely anything that take 14 gallons is going to get a dip test.

I do agree with your points but that would be a very highly improbable situation.

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
Originally Posted by Nick Lockard, section moderator
Edit addition: The following is a short, alphabetized list of banned topics here. See discussion below for more history and context about why Tdiclub got fed up with these topics.
• Acetone
• Biofuel Basics
• Diesel Secret
• E3 Fuels
• e-Bubbler
• Ethos FR
• Fuel magnets
• Global Warming
• HOH, ‘Brown’s gas’ or H2 systems
• Nanotech Fuel/eefuelweb
• Nitrogen tire inflation as ‘energy saver’
• non-taxed fuel
• Oxytane
• Animas River spill
Additionally, club rules about purely speculative, troll-bait, trolling, and shilling, etcetera ALWAYS apply as well.
How about NO.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
It's a tax thing.

It is a farm subsidies things... it's more about giving farming tax breaks.

No offense to farmers, they are the salt of the earth, and many do go
under. The ones that say afloat that are not big corporate farm's, however
many of them live off of subsidies, insurance and government programs....

Of course get caught cheating on taxes it's a big dot deal. If not caught no foul no harm.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
It's a tax thing.

It is a farm subsidies things... it's more about giving farming tax breaks.

No offense to farmers, they are the salt of the earth, and many do go
under. The ones that say afloat that are not big corporate farm's, however
many of them live off of subsidies, insurance and government programs....

Of course get caught cheating on taxes it's a big dot deal. If not caught no foul no harm.
Let's be real here...........it ain't about farmers and their government subsidies. It's about road tax. The tax that pays for our highway infrastructure. Off road dyed fuel is legal in any piece of equipment that does not drive down a highway, ie generators, bulldozers, trains, boats, farm implements think about it. A farmer with farm plates cannot legally use off road diesel in his pick up that he drives on the road. If you like to have a highway or any road you drive on pay your road tax.Why do you think the rest of us are gonna do it for you?

Last edited:

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Let's be real here...........it ain't about farmers and their government subsidies. It's about road tax. The tax that pays for our highway infrastructure. Off road dyed fuel is legal in any piece of equipment that does not drive down a highway, ie generators, bulldozers, trains, farm implements think about it. A farmer with farm plates cannot legally use off road diesel in his pick up that he drives on the road. If you like to have a highway or any road you drive on pay your road tax.Why do you think the rest of us are gonna do it for you?
+1
Take a tractor -trailer....
Regular diesel goes in the fuel tank...
Then you can get OFF-ROAD DIESEL which is used to run the reefer..aka the small diesel motor that runs the compressors used for temperature control of the trailer....
Farmers buy diesel to put it in equip to fuel vechiles used in the fields....
They don't have to pay road taxes on that fuel cause a combine or tractor does not use a public road except to cross it..or go a few feet, an "interdental " use....
To imply that it is a subsides forgets that before fuel taxes were enacted, folks that used large volumes of fuel lobbied that they should not pay taxes to support infrastructure they don't use...
Construction equipment....yup...off road if it is used ...er...not on public roads...

If you want to learn more, you should realize that tractor-trailer trucks actually pay taxes per mile...and the taxes on fuel purchased is just a withholding....and under the current plan, owners get $$ back, or patly extra at the end of soecfic time periods to each states under the current system of "apportions"...that's why it says that on their plates...
That's why the days of trucks having plates for multi states is gone....it's done electronically.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
My local fuel stop has off road stuff for about 15 cents less a gallon. I guess there is a red Dyne in it to show road tax or whatever. I have deleted my dpf so if I wanted to save a few bucks, would it matter if I wanted to do this?
Just a follow up thought here. If you deleted your dpf you already violated the law so go ahead and violate the law some more and burn off road only fuel too. It's your life bro who am I to say what you should and should not do.:p

> Luke <

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2011 TDi DSG
Having assisted on an operating cattle ranch outside of Bakersfield, CA for almost 40 years--One of the first things I learned on the ranch, relative the off-road diesel fuel, is that the die shows up on your tail pipe--the tail pipe is the evidence.

Just a thought (input). They have two raised diesel tanks--one for off-road, and the other for regular on-road diesel trucks.

It does show up in the tail pipe.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Running off-road (non taxed) diesel fuel on the roads is highly illegal and if caught the fines can easily exceed the value of your car. Therefore it is not recommended for anyone.
Also non-taxed diesel fuel is also a banned subject at TDIClub. I think that enough people have had their say in this thread, so this thread is over. Thread locked.

Have Fun!

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.