Rooftop carrier for Golf hatchback?

Wolf359

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
My 2011 Golf hatchback has no roof rack. Is it possible to attach a cargo carrier at all? What would be needed? I see plenty of options for the Sportwagen but none for the hatchback.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
Perfect, thank you!
Does anyone have experience with these? So basically I also buy a mounting system/rack anyway with it?

Am I better off just getting a roof rack on its own?

Suggestions welcome! Thank you!
Yes, you will need a base rack before you mount any kind of box/basket/etc to the roof. I prefer the Thule 480 Traverse. You will also need a "Fit kit" which on the 4-door is part number 1326 if I remember correctly. Lastly you will need load bars...I'm using the Thule square bars that are 50" wide, although I might put one of my 48" bars on the rear mount to make it look more uniform.

From there the choice of cargo box is up to you. Most of the accessories are interchangeable between the major brands...I run a Thule base rack and a Yakima sky box with zero fitment issues...Actually, I'm still on my first road trip with this setup and it's working great so far. All my bike trays and cargo baskets are Yakima as well and fit the Thule rack just fine.

Here is a pic of my Golf with that setup...

Let me know if you have any more questions.

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is a 2011 Golf TDI with a rack and a box.

You might try running without the fairing when the box is on...lots of air gets trapped between it and the box instead of being able to flow under the box....ask me how I know lol.

Car looks good though, which box is that?

Wolf359

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
So, just to be clear:
$400 for fit kit, feet, and bars
$300-$800+ for the cargo box/container

So it's at least $700 to get this going, and possibly much more.

If I do end up taking a buyback down the road and getting rid of the car, I can reuse everything except the fitkit? I guess it depends on the car, right?

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
You might try running without the fairing when the box is on...lots of air gets trapped between it and the box instead of being able to flow under the box....ask me how I know lol.

Car looks good though, which box is that?
It's not my car. I was just trying to help and found a photo on vortex. I only have a hitch for my bike rack, no box.

PS: love your photo with your camper!!!

My car with bikes

on Flickr

Last edited:

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
So, just to be clear:
$400 for fit kit, feet, and bars
$300-$800+ for the cargo box/container

So it's at least $700 to get this going, and possibly much more.

If I do end up taking a buyback down the road and getting rid of the car, I can reuse everything except the fitkit? I guess it depends on the car, right?
You should be able to reuse everything apart from the fit kit. If your replacement vehicle has roof rails you might need different feet though.

It's not my car. I was just trying to help and found a photo on vortex. I only have a hitch for my bike rack, no box.

PS: love your photo with your camper!!!

My car with bikes

on Flickr
Thanks!