Undercarriage diagram

Humanaquarian

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
Hello,
Yesterday, ironically 60 miles out of warranty I heard a horrendous scraping noise. I stopped and looked underneath the car and noticed the plastic lower engine cover hanging loose. It wasn't dragging, just looked like 2 bolts towards the rear were missing, but I wonder if something else is missing. I had just had my 30k mile maintenance, so I'm thinking they didn't tighten or replace a few bolts -as I've heard is common. I would've already bought the aluminum guard that goes over all this if I knew what the fix was going to be! This is the sort of stuff that VW doesn't realize with this scandal. It affects us on so many levels. Should I get new tires? Wipers? Are they going to ruin my car? Should I sink any money in it?
At any rate. I searched and could not find a diagram of the undercarriage so I can check what's supposed to be there.
Any help would be great! Regardless I'm taking it up there and telling them to make it right.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Mine was hanging and it would flap when I went 100 mph, ha, ha, ha.... I asked to have it fixed during my most recent service and I saw that they added a zip-tie. It seems my bolt is broken off. I only had one bolt missing at the back on the passenger side. I since read that it's not uncommon to have the broken bolts and it's a pain in the neck to get the bolts out. I guess that's why I have a zip-tie!

Good luck!

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
http://www.vwpartsvortex.com/auto-p.../splash-shields-scat/?part_number=1k0825237ag

everything under the car is pretty solid, when all the screws and such are installed. You really can get under the car and look. if you don't have jackstands, or ramps, you can pick a high curb some place safe and drive one side of the car up on the curb and lay on some cardboard to check it out.

I had the three bolts at the rear of that shield missing after some transmission service, went back and the tech had a pile.

one of these fell out by the next time I serviced the car. replaced with some new ones that come with a kind of locktite installed.

http://www.idparts.com/belly-pan-screw-and-clip-set-a5mkvi-golf-sportwagen-p-2456.html

is the whole set

Last edited:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Mine was hanging and it would flap when I went 100 mph, ha, ha, ha.... I asked to have it fixed during my most recent service and I saw that they added a zip-tie. It seems my bolt is broken off. I only had one bolt missing at the back on the passenger side. I since read that it's not uncommon to have the broken bolts and it's a pain in the neck to get the bolts out. I guess that's why I have a zip-tie!
Good luck!
HA!

Same thing happened to my car, passenger side bolt looks to be sheared off:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=461090

And if the center screw is any indication it will NOT be easy to remove at all :mad:

Humanaquarian

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
Thanks guys!
I've decided I'm keeping the car as long as the fix doesn't affect it too much! Just can't find anything out there I'd be happy with. Hope the settlement/ fix is substantial, it really is the perfect car for me.