Tuner thinks something is wrong after trying 3.5 tune

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I'm going all the way back to the original post with this reply.

Today I went to get the 3.5 tune, swapped the EGT sensors and it was really laggy.
Is this 100% everything you did at this time? Did you swap at the plugs or at the downpipe/turbo?

My recommendation is request a Stage 3 tune and swap the sensors back to where they should be. My personal opinion is to stick with Stage 3.

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
I didn't do it, the tuner did.

He swapped the Black and brown-ish plugs.

The only other thing that was done was that he pulled the fuse for the front fans while he was loading the new tune but I dont believe that has any bearing on this.

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
He swapped them back when he put the 2.5 tune back on.

I replaced that O-ring this morning and redid the adaptations. I logged 2 WOT pulls in 3rd from 1500RPMs to redline but messed up some where because it difnt save to the laptop.

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
My local dealer happen to have that O-ring so I replaced it this morning.

Redid the adaptations and pulled another log. It felt like it had more pep but thats not what the logs reflects.

http://i.imgur.com/vhC2Zqe.jpg

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
Still havent found a solution.

I'm really starting to feel its the tune.

Any suggestions?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Have you swapped sensors back? Have you logged group 99? I bet number one is stuck at 930c

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
Sensors were swapped back when he put the 2.5 tune back on.

Im guessing group 99 is EGT.

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
Group 013
Injecrion Quatity Deviation
-0.19mg/str
0.24 mg/str
0.02 mg/str
-0.16 mg/str

Why are 1 and 4 negative? Is that a symptom?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
So with the Stage 2.5 tune, does it lag like it does with the 3.5 tune?

013 - that is fine. they're just negative deviation from nominal
023 - doesn't mean much because it constantly changes
why would that mean MAF is bad?

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
We only did 1 log but It hard to tell. Its kinda spikey.

Actual boost never fully meets requests boost. The closest actual gets its mid/high 2800 to 2916 being the peak, all the while requested being 2928. But it is around the same RPM range, if anything a little later.

If the specified is 200-350 mg/h at idle and mine is reading 460mg/h at idle, does that say something is wrong with it?

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Did the car ever seem to run properly with the new head and turbo? If not, maybe the turbo stop screw wasn't set properly. I forget if you were able to rule out boost leaks, but that also comes to mind.

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
After I got done putting everything back together, I had a few oversights, as is with any indepth build. A boost leak here, vac leak there, forgot to plug this or that in, ect. But I've since ironed everything out.

I conduct 2 orr 3 pressure tests and couldnt find anything. After digging back into it, I found that 1 pinched O-ring but it wasnt leaking. Replaced it anyways. Doesnt run any different.

It feels exactly how it did when I have the cr140 on it.

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
Im guessing swapping back to the CR140 is ny next step to rule out the turbo but I cant imagine that there isnt a spec'd group or value that would tell me the cr170 IS bad.

Every test I've conducted says everything fine.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
The only thing I can think of is perhaps the turbo's actuator was not set correctly when it was assembled or it got jossled in shipping and knocked out of alignment.

Last edited:

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
Thanks for helping ATR

Is there a way to check that with VCDS?

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
I read that, however, I didnt do the turbo adaptation, just the n75 adaptation.

Thanks.

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
I just realized something, looking back on the 3.5 log. I have a stock 3 bar map sensor. That tops out at 26psi. The 3.5 that was put on is requesting more 29.

Wouldn't that cause the conflict between the software and hardware?

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
I just realized something, looking back on the 3.5 log. I have a stock 3 bar map sensor. That tops out at 26psi. The 3.5 that was put on is requesting more 29.

Wouldn't that cause the conflict between the software and hardware?
My 3.6 tune runs 28.5 psi and I have a 3BAR map sensor. Works fine.

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
Weird, that must be at the very limit of yours. Do you have VCDS? or another tool to meassure various sensor readings?

Today, I had a friend come over with his mk6 JSW TDI with a DSG. Hes got a stage 1 APR tune, no DSG tune.

Read his MAF with VCDS and it was within spec. Spec, at idle, being between 200-350mg/h. His reads 270-280 Mine reads 460-470. So, we thought my MAF was the issue. Swapped my maf on his engine and it gave the same reading as his maf did, 260-270. So we put his MAF on my car and it gave the same reading as my MAF did on my car, 460-470.

We checked the Turbo Actuator Values and they were the same. Voltage readings were within spec per that link ATR shared. Duty cycles were 16-17% and 99.4% on both cars. Keep in mind he has the stock cr140. I still have the cr170 on mine, at the moment.

Hes the weird part. When I unplugged my MAF, the read dropped by 30-40mg/h. Puting it around 425-430.

Im inclined to think that means I have a wiring problem.
Does anybody know what Voltage and Ohm reads I just get on the pins on the MAF plug?

Last edited:

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
when you unplug the maf it reverts to the model value from the internal ecu model of the engine, it's not actually measuring anything when it's unplugged.

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
I knew it wasnt measuring anything when it was unplug, it physically couldnt.

I was thinking more along the lines of it being so far off, but with a good maf, that there was something wrong with the wiring.

But since it srill read very high, and putting your input into the equation, could it mean that there is another sensor that is malfunctioning?
How is it coming up with those numbers? Why is it still so high?

I forgot to mention that it didnt throw a code when it was unplug. Is that normal?

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
If it were leaking from anywhere past the MAF, would it explain the extra 100 or so mg/h that VCDS is showing?

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
the model considers what egr flow should be.

Your MAF is "reading high" becuase you have no egr flow.

Your maf is ok. Your wiring is also ok.