Replace the timing belt again????

COtdi

I own a '00 Jetta TDI w/71.6k miles. This far I have followed every thing that VW tells you to do to this car. I changed the timeing belt at 55k miles (as per the recommendation of the service advisro, even though VW said to do it at 40k miles). Is it necessary to change it again at 80k miles? This service costs almost $1000 and that is nothing I am looking forward to. Any help is appreciated.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Manual or automatic? If automatic, as I suspect from the mileage figures in your profile, I'd suggest waiting until the 95K mark.

Brioscooter

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 and 2005 Golf TDIs
When the timing belt was replaced, did they use the 80K belt? If so, you shouldn't have to replace the thing until 135K miles.
If the dealer used the old spec timing belt, that one should be replaced at 95K miles, which is 40K miles on the belt from when it was changed.
If no one ocan identify which belt you have, I would have it done (with the newer style 80K belt) by 95K miles. Better safe than very sorry!

COtdi

My Jetta is a manual. I'm not sure whcih belt was used. What is the difference? Is there anything else I should get done with this service to keep the cost down and increase longevity?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Well, with a manual, you've got until at least 115K to think about this. The manual tranny recommended belt change interval was 60K.

COtdi

Thank you ver mcuh for the help. I have now replaced the MAF twice, the glow p. once, and the glow p. harness once as well. It would be nice to spend some money on some upgrades rather than upkeep. Thanks again.

Marc James

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
I would recommend you shop around for your service. The timing belt job on a TDI at my dealership is $600 CDN, this is about $375 US. Specialty shops (i.e. shops specializing in VW's but are not actual VW dealers) are a little bit cheaper and IMO probably as good. For a g-note US you could drive up here from CO, have a nice vacation, get your belt done at my dealership and still have jing left over. Just my $.02

COtdi

Since I've bought the car I've had every service done at the dealer to avoid any warranty issues. At 71k miles, I don't believe much of anything is covered anymore. VW did pay for the MAF to be replace twice, but other than that I have about 3k in receipts from VW's maintenance schedule and other problems that have come up. I'll admit I drive the car hard, and the altitude probably doesn't help, but I'll need to see some longevity here before I can consider the purchase a good one. Love the way it drives, hate how much the service costs.

Scott McCrary

THe 40k/60k timing belt replacement interval was an embarrassment to VW (though less of an embarrasment than wrecked engines!) but the newer 80k/100k belts get that cost down to reasonable. My dealer's offered price for replacement (with the new parts) was $650 (U.S.) and many dealers are less; independent shops will also do for less and basic parts are only $150-$184 in several mail-order places (including serpentine belt, cam seal, and replacement bolts). I'm doing the replacement myself to lower long-term out-of-pocket $$, using the excellent how-to help available on tdiclub (which you could also show to a local honest repairman if you didn't want to tackle it).

COtdi, your dealer seems to have soaked you unless there was plenty else he replaced in the repair (like the water pump). I think you'd have cause to go ask for some money back!!!!!

Bottom line- timing belt repair cost shouldn't be the determining factor on keeping the car, I hope. On the other hand, DO replace that water pump next time (and DON"T pay dealer cost- get from Dieselgeek or Impex, etc.)

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
By the way: if the dealer did NOT replace the water pump at that 40k belt change, then you may want to do it and the belt before 100k.

tom

Veteran Member
question:
Why no 80k timing belt for the A3 model cars?

This is an expensive maintenance item if you don't do it yourself and most owners don't. I have been hard pressed to get a quote under $400.00 (us) for the belt change and at 60k (my A3)that sucks.
Why is this such a major engineering job as well? Couldn't this have been designed to be easier since it seems to take 5-6 hours (from most quotes)

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
DBW did mine in 2 hours, actually a bit less. Mine is a MK-IV and the TB change is less of a PITA on the A-3s!