Commonrail: Need more fuel

nate0031

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
96 B4 Passat
It's a new pump, the CP4.2 in place of the stock CP4.1. I think the biggest question for many is, what's the reliability difference between the .1 and .2? Would this alleviate pump failure concerns with the added benefit of more fuel than most could ever need?

Amazing work none the less. Maybe this will be the answer many have been hoping for.

Last edited:

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
Diesel dubs 83 can you PM plz... like to get more info on this

DieselDubs83

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 5spd, 2005 Passat BHW, 82 Caddy TDI
Quick update. Everything has been running good on the car so far. We are tweaking the bends on the lines a bit to fit better with all OEM brackets.

LovinPSDs

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Gone, looking for a cheap commuter
Are you guys planning on offering the lines and such as a kit? This is awesome for anyone who really wants to go big! I'm not sure if I want to be on the leading edge of testing products again, but this really makes me smile

I wonder about reliability and such for people running say a stage 2 or 3+ tune. This pump probably doesn't have to work nearly as hard to supply the required fuel.

So teach me something about these injectors. Piezoelectric yeah? Can they supply more fuel than we'd ever need or would the injectors need modded for big time fuel?

Id also love to hear how your DSG is handling the power, and if/when it can't take it, is there anyway to build them stouter?

Last edited:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
got some pics?

As for the DSG. there is quite some hardware available with as downside thats it is costly..

the guys from HGP in gemany put over 900Nm through it (7 speed box). And this is in germay which means people also use the power =)

LovinPSDs

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes once we get the components fitment perfected it will be a bolt-on plug-n-play upgrade.

DieselDubs, I noticed you had injectors in your car. This is the first time I've seen this mentioned on a CR. Do you know how far the stock injectors can take us HP wise assuming the HPFP is upgraded? I really what to know the limits of the stock injectors. I thought someone said Storx was up in the 250 hp range and was losing rail pressure, so I'm assuming north of that... Awesome work preparing a bolt in upgrade also!

nate0031

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
96 B4 Passat
So glad to see this coming along, just as I'm getting the CJAA installed. Future upgrade! How is the 4.2's reliability compared to the 4.1? Is it better or worse than the CP3? Thanks!

2011tdiproject

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
This is very cool, and I suspected it was possible. However, I am still trying to comprehend how it all works.

With those piston type pumps, you only really have pressure in the rail as the piston is coming up, right? Since there is no way to accumulate that pressure?

If the pressure does accumulate somehow, then ignore the rest of this post..

Way I understand it the cp4.1 has to be timed via the belt like a cam. So every 180 degrees the piston is coming up, with the 2 cam lobes moving it, right? Since it is a 4 cyl motor with firing impulses every 180 deg. Then with the cp4.2 and the 3.0 tdi V6, it must be timed so each piston in the pump comes up every 120 degrees of crankshaft rotation?

This is giving me a headache thinking about it, but basically I'm just thinking with the 4 cyl tdi, if each (main) injection even occurs 180 apart, what good does that other piston in the pump coming up 90 degrees later do? Since the injectors wouldn't be spraying then, and there is nowhere for that pressure to accumulate. (right? I mean, the injectors don't spray at 90deg past tdc, do they? You have the initial pilot injection, then one or several main injections, I'm guessing less than 30 degrees after tdc?) I know the dual CP3 kits for the duramax run off a serpentine belt and therefore aren't timed, but that is a motor with firing impulses every 90 deg, I'm guessing they overlap well enough?

Last edited:

LovinPSDs

Veteran Member
TDI
And the pump doesn't need to be timed with the injection series right? I've not heard of timing the pump(s) before...

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The HPFP is pinned during timing belt jobs, so VW likely wants the pressure pulses to coincide with injection demands, but it's not as critical as it was in, say, the VE days.

2011tdiproject

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf
How does the rail act "as a pressure accumulator of sorts"? Does it have something that compresses inside of it? Fluid is not compressible and I do not see the rail itself having anywhere near enough "elasticity" to accumulate pressure at all.

I bet if you timed the oem pump the opposite way, the motor would not run at all. I could be wrong, but I'd bet $100 on that. Lol

Edit: I just read the timing belt replacement how to on myturbodiesel and at the end of the write up, a guy was saying his motor wouldn't start because the hpfp timing was off. Copied and pasted, "The fuel timing was off. It must have slipped when tightening the bolts. I made a counter hold for the camshaft but didn't have one for the HpFp. I rigged something that worked as a counter hold and it stayed in place."

Last edited:

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
How does the rail act "as a pressure accumulator of sorts"? Does it have something that compresses inside of it? Fluid is not compressible and I do not see the rail itself having anywhere near enough "elasticity" to accumulate pressure at all.

I bet if you timed the oem pump the opposite way, the motor would not run at all. I could be wrong, but I'd bet $100 on that. Lol
Ill take your $100 dollar bet. Ill PM you my paypal so you can just send me your money now.

The common rail diesels have the same basic plumbing as any gas fuel injected engine. The HPFP does not have to be timed at all to the engine. My guess for pinning the pulley is to not have additional pullies moving when installing the timing belt.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I would guess that somewhere, there is a compression element, seeing as Bosch does refer to the fuel rails in common rail diesel systems as pressure accumulators...

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
I would guess that somewhere, there is a compression element, seeing as Bosch does refer to the fuel rails in common rail diesel systems as pressure accumulators...
It works the same way a hydraulic circuit works on trucks. The pump produces flow, a restriction in the flow produces pressure. Pressure is controlled by PWM from the PCM through a solenoid.

Pressure doesn't mean the fluid has to compress. Pressure is a measurement of force. In our case here pounds per square inch (PSI)