02 Jetta TDI Ignition Switch Replacement

AF_Jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Reflex Silver
Brad,

I am diagnosing a problem right now. Probably the ignition switch. Thanks for the excellent write up w/photos!

Gary

Mtgirl

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, Sedan, blue
will this work for my 2001 tdi jetta as well? i've had some random issues that are supposedly all tied into ignition switch:
-windshield wiper fluid only works when car is on accessory mode, not when running
-doesn't always turn over right away (sometimes needs 2-5 tries), but glowplugs, harness and relay are all new
-random issues with panel lights behind temp controls
-cruise control interminttently goes out
UUGGGHHH!

jetchase

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon (black)
Thanks for this! I used the PDF this weekend and replaced my switch in about an hour -- including 30 minutes of trying to find a screwdriver long and thin enough for the job.

aydn

TDI
99.5 MKIV ALH
Thanks for the guide! I was wondering why my switch wouldn't fit flush with the housing, so I looked in side and the metal prod that goes into the switch was snapped off. So what would I need to replace now, or can I metal epoxy that back to its base?

edit: Is a lock cylinder what I need, with new keys? http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1514060

Last edited:

aydn

TDI
99.5 MKIV ALH
Does anyone know if can use the lock cylinder from an 03 2.0 Jetta? Shouldn't be TDI specific right

WalrusBurger

TDI
2000 Jetta (5-speed)
I have the same question.

Thanks for the guide! I was wondering why my switch wouldn't fit flush with the housing, so I looked in side and the metal prod that goes into the switch was snapped off. So what would I need to replace now, or can I metal epoxy that back to its base?

edit: Is a lock cylinder what I need, with new keys? http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1514060

firehawk618

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI, 2dr, M6, Stock
Should be the same. If you want to confirm just goto oreilly's website, look up the part for your car, write down the part number. Look up the part for the car in question........

They also sometimes have a compatibility chart attached to the parts.....

nickwi

TDI
2001 GLS green
2001 ignition switch

So last night I went to start. Turned the key heard a slight snap, key turned easily forward all the way to start. Power to dash, radio, blower motor, headlights all was on but not start. Not even a starting attempt noise. Key does not spring back to "run" position from "start" position and turns easily with no resistance. My steering wheel is also unlocked and doesn't seem to catch with the key out. In looking on the web, you can buy the switch on the end, you can buy the center housing, or the key insert itself. I'm not sure what to buy or do I have to replace the whole works?

Any help appreciated!
Nick

nickwi

TDI
2001 GLS green
Nick, did you figure out the problem? I have the same problem now.
I did figure it out. It was the Ignition Lock Housing. The switch on the left (drivers side) end of the ignition lock housing was fine. There's a little metal rod in the middle of the housing that twisted off. It passes through the housing, activates the steering wheel lock and twists the guts of the ignition switch to start it. The switch was easy to get to the lock housing was a pain. It's held in by two little bolts that have nothing more than a mushroom on top of them. I sharpened a small chisel razor sharp and tapped the edge of them with a small hammer to turn them loose. Tried grabbing them with a vice grip but couldn't get a bite on that round head. I wonder what kind of tool tightened them when it was installed :confused: I put it back together with real metric bolts. Got the lock housing at PartsGeek
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2001/volkswagen/jetta/steering/ignition_lock_housing.html

It seems pricey but you also get a new ignition switch with it. Do a youtube search, found a video that shows how to pull your ignition key guts out of your old one and put it in the new one.

Last edited:

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Just used Tommyt's writeup.

Has anyone encountered an aftermarket Chinese ignition switch that does not fit properly?

I'm sure I had the orientation correct, and two of the male blades were not lining up with the stock pink female connector. I was afraid to bend them to make them fit, or to press with all my might and break something. The stock OEM switch slide right back in without any trouble.

I tried first with NAPA Chinese switch for $25, then O'Reilly Chinese switch for $58. They looked identical. :eek:

My only advice to add to the write-up is that you'll want to find a #0 phillips screwdriver in the minimum 5.5'' length that Tom mentioned in his writeup. These are not easy to find. Clearance is very tight for the two screws nearly hidden by the steering wheel. I have a three-spoke steering wheel and I'm not sure if this affected things. If you're having difficult time engaging the head of the screw, you can apply pressure to the lower plastic cover and expose a smidgen more of the screwhead from flex in the plastic. *EDIT: Vortex thread mentions that 3-spoke makes it impossible to do this without removing steering wheel -- guess I proved that wrong...but it is TIGHT*

I also do not think it's necessary to make marks to figure out the orientation of the switch in the housing. There is only one orientation possible because the third plastic guide prong is of a different shape than its neighbors.

Last edited:

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
The $50 Genuine Volkswagen replacement switch that arrived today fit perfectly as expected.
Moral of the story: Stay away from C.R.A.P. ignition switches! They can't even get the dimensions correct, LOL.