What's next for my bew

04trd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 golf tdi
Hey guys so I have a 06 bew with 188k. All maintance is up to date along with a new cam from GDM. So that party is good!

I've done a few mods to it but don't know what to do next. Here's the list
Vnt17, stage 4 custom Malone tune, stainless intercooler, full egr delete, 2.5 inch turbo back exhaust, stage 2 cam, sb stage 3 clutch and I think that's it. Ah! GDM put an alh intake on it for some odd reason but I'm almost positive my bew one flows more air. But we won't get into that debate.

What's next on my list of up grades? Pd150 intake? Head studs? ( I know those are hard to find for a bew ) I have a catch can on it now but it doesn't work for some odd reason there's still some oil in the intake. Should I do a dump tube?

Any help would be awesome

MRR

TDI
2001 GTI GLX BEW swap
unless you're going to be running a bigger turbo I would just use head bolts for a PD150 ARl.

The next thing I would do is nozzles.
PD150 intake and replacing all the charge pipes with hard pipes would probably be nice as well

Last edited:
TDI
2014 Golf 50k, 2006 Mk4 BEW Golf 200k
Any plans for the suspension? At 188k, there might be some bushing upgrades (audi TT) and suspension kits that could make your ride feel better than new, especially once you've got all the power upgrades in. I've also heard some having trouble with stock axles once they've gone stage 4...someone correct me if i'm wrong!

04trd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 golf tdi
Ah sorry I forgot to add that it's lowered on bilstein struts and h and s coils in the rear. So! That's all done. Yea I heard people using arl head bolts, but are they tty. If they are you can only use them one time and they r junk. The chances of me doing a head are slim to none though. And it's nice to have the option if I wanna throw a 2260 gtb on there and run some boost threw it I can. Weather the bottom end holds up or not that's a different story

04trd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 golf tdi
And as far as nozzles I've got plenty of fuel. With my custom tune I had them throw more fuel at it and she rolls smoke if I need to witch I rarely do cause it's stupid so I'm getting plenty of fuel.

So what I'm thinking pd150 intake manifold.
Charge pipes and all that stuff that comes with it
Either arl studs or arp head studs and I should be good to go!

And if I wanna get crazy I can do nozzles and injectors, but they r stupid expensive in a pd.
Gtb 2260
Fmic
And a new bottom end ��

Last edited:

MRR

TDI
2001 GTI GLX BEW swap
You need better nozzles to fully use the gtb 2260. You can't even max out the vnt17 with stock BEW nozzles. The stock nozzles are a limiting factor and max out at 150-160 ish.

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
LSD, raxles, head bolts, intake manifold, intake pipes, old man intake, etc.

You're bottom end will be fine

To max the vnt-17 you'll need nozzles. Especially if you're considering getting a gtb 2260 later on

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

04trd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 golf tdi
Will pd150 head bolts work? Or should I try to find arl head bolts since no one makes them for the bew. Yes intake manifold and intake pipes are on the to do list. What's an old man intake?

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
Yes pd150 head bolts will work. You can replace the bolts one at a time without removing the head. I did mine ~40K miles ago.

Old man intake is between your air filter box and turbo. It replaces your factory intake pipe with a larger/less restrictive/better flowing pipe. You can either fab one up or buy one. A quick Google search will turn up a lot of results

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Bigger Turbo and Bigger injectors at the same time. You won't need stronger head bolts until you exceed 30 psi.

I found that the wheel bearings were the weakest part of my highly modded BEW, so make sure you upgrade to bigger knuckles when doing the bigger driveshafts.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Weird how you are rolling coal??

Nice parts list but from what I've been told, around 200 whp is the max you can safely get on stock injectors, so as the others guys said, more fuel will be needed.

04trd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 golf tdi
Who is it weird that it smokes lol I hate it but I needed more fuel to maximize my tune. But for sure. I need to find a pd150 intake and an old man intake and go from there. Than if I want to get crazy I can do a gtb2260 with studs and a ton of fuel and see what happens lol

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Who is it weird that it smokes lol I hate it but I needed more fuel to maximize my tune. But for sure. I need to find a pd150 intake and an old man intake and go from there. Than if I want to get crazy I can do a gtb2260 with studs and a ton of fuel and see what happens lol
Its weird because you should be out of fuel but black smokes means you aren't, so you need more air.

Plenty of PD150 intakes on the for sale section.

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
Black smoke can also be from extended injection duration due to your stock injectors not being able to keep up with what's requested.

When I upgraded to Bosio PowerPlus 1043 nozzles my smoke output decreased compared to when I had stock injectors (after tune adjustment of course)

Tune adjustment is key. Contact your tuner (info@malonetuning.com) to get their recommendation on reaching your goals for your car

ech0sh4y

TDI
'06 Golf TDi
I have the same mods as the OP wants/has. I also get a bit smokey under hard accelerations. To be honest, I didn't find the Darkside SMIC and complete pipe upgrades to make any noticeable difference. on and 80* day my IAT is around 100* give or take. I have no stock data to compare. This was found with the SGII. I was told that the BEW factory injectors will out fuel the VNT-17 as long as they are healthy. But perhaps PGM Jetta is right and they are not. Time to upgrade injectors lol! I don't see a larger turbo in my future yet. I would like to dyno my setup to see where I am at. I honestly have no clue as I haven't found anyone with the identical setup that dynoed.

04trd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 golf tdi
Pgm Malone has tuned my car since the stage 1.5. I've got a stage 4 tune that's virtually smoke free. I asked them to throw some more fuel at it cause I am doing the omi and pd150 or custom intake. But maybe I was miss informed. I don't like the fact that it smokes cause wasted fuel

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I was told that the BEW factory injectors will out fuel the VNT-17 as long as they are healthy. But perhaps PGM Jetta is right and they are not. Time to upgrade injectors lol! .
In my thread that I asked about 200 whp, the stockers are done around 170 whp, to hit 200, PD150's will just do it.

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
In my thread that I asked about 200 whp, the stockers are done around 170 whp, to hit 200, PD150's will just do it.
Exactly. I'm sure there are some that do more with the stockers but even at 170 the smoke output will be heavy and EGTs will be very high and you won't be able to sustain that hp very long before having to back off due to possible meltdown

ech0sh4y

TDI
'06 Golf TDi
So the next stage for injectors would be PD150s? Or is there is it a wise idea to go larger (not sure how big) and have tune them down?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What power level are you after? PD150's will do 200 whp. If you can afford it, go bigger then the tuner can tune accordingly and if you want down the road, you can make more power.

Last edited:

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
At 200 whp how reliable will the car be?
If it's set up, tuned, and driven properly, very reliable. The PD bottom end has proved to go much more than 200hp. Stronger head bolts may be needed. Porting is not necessary but would certainly help with flow and heat.

There are several builds on BEWs on here so searching will provide lots of results

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
I think your next step would be to get a lot of parts from a PD150 which has the engine code of ARL, just to clear up any confusion.

I would get PD150 injectors, headbolts, intake manifold, and turbo inlet pipe (TIP).

Your one stop shopping vendor would be Darkside Developments.
Injectors
Headbolts
Intake Manifold
TIP

With those changes your car should move pretty good with a retune.:D