2004 Jetta PD horsepower upgrade

rennsportmotorrad

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon
2004 BEW Jetta PD ECU Swap-horsepower upgrade

I understand the my 2004 Jetta PD has aprox 110 HP, I have heard that the same model (Bora) in Germany had more HP.-between 130 & 150 -is this correct? .--Next is the extra HP on the European Bora only a difference between the ECU.?-now if the only difference is the ECU, could I purchase from Europe another ECU and expect it to plug right into my car and work properly and give me the extra HP?.(and if I just swap out the ECU are there any known issues with any other system)-- I know someone has already done this that's why I'm here asking. --other option is to have my ECU re-flashed--but who could I send it to to basically give me the exact program as the European TDI's? Plus I can purchase a Euro ECU for $100.00 shipped vs paying $250. ++ to have mine tuned plus the time the car is down--Thanks

Last edited:

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Tuning your current ECU is the right way. Why do something multiple times if you can do it right the first time. I've had good experience with Malone, Rocketchip and Kerma. They'll tune your ECU to match your current setup.

To answer your question, you may be able to get the PD150 ECU to work, but it won't save you money(even if the ecu worked with your setup) since there's the immobilizer to deal with, as well as there being different injectors in the PD150 and PD130, along with different turbos. There's many other differences as well, but you can search to find those if you're interested.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Short answer to your question is no, you can't plug in a PD130 or 150 ECU and (a) expect it to work; and (b) achieve the same power level as one of those engines.

With a tune only you can get your car in the 120-130 HP range. With a VNT-17 (which is stock on the higher output PDs in Europe) you can get in the 150 HP range. At that point you'll also need a clutch.

rennsportmotorrad

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon
Thanks -I talked to Jeff at Rocket Tune today and I'll send it to him at some point--He did tell me that on the PD BEW engine injectors are something that is not needed the stock injectors will work just fine-( Not so if it were an ALH engine) I am running the stock KP39 turbo and just replaced it about 10 months ago so investing in a new turbo is something I am not wanting to do at this time(when it dies again maybe so) -But Jeff said do a stage 1 tune and keep everything as I have it and I should get right around 130 hp out of it. So I think at this point that's what I'm going to do--all I'm looking for is a bit better fuel economy -I drive very easy with this car and right now I am getting around 47.5 mpg but always looking for a little better lol

rennsportmotorrad

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon
My thoughts were that a P130 or a P150 ECU might work but now I understand that it will not---First I want to thank those that replied to my post, I own a BMW Motorcycle shop and I know what works on them and what will not--but I am not even close to knowing anything about TDI's so I am always learning. Also I want to thank the vendors here for their help as well--I spoke to Jeff at Rocket Chip and he was great told me what I needed and told me I didn't need to spend insane $$ to accomplish what I was looking to do-again because I drive this car like your grandmother I want fuel economy not serious performance and I appreciate his insight. --Now I understand everyone that is a vendor / dealer wants to make money -I am the same way I am in business to support my family I am not a charity. I have not talked to Malone now there is no need, but I did speak to Kerma a few months ago and I almost had a heart attack at what they wanted me to do--they said even after I told them what I was looking for and my type of driving-I needed a new Cam, New Injectors,new nozzles, New Turbo, a Tune, and a few other items I cant remember right now to the tune of $6500.00--I know I got a deal on this car I paid $2600.00 for a rust free, accident free 2004 Jetta TDI Wagon w/ 5 speed--and spending $6500.00 just for the parts to me seems insane-now if I wanted a really hot TDI and I were racing it that's one thing--but for a car that I use as a commuter that amount of money I would never recoup. I'm sure from what everyone says that Kerma does great work and I too am sure they do great work and offer outstanding products But it's a bit out of my price range, I'm not cheap by any means I don't mind spending money on the car for things I want and when it needs something-but I am a bit frugal. I'm 58 years old and I used to race SCCA & IMSA, in Triumph's & Jag's but my VW is a commuter not a race car and I have no desire to turn it into one. So that's my 2 cents for what its worth. So if you want a race car or really hot TDI and money is no object-I'd probably call Kerma, But if you want just a bit more from your TDI without breaking the bank I'd call Jeff @ Rocket Chip. I am not trying to flame anyone here just pass on info that I was given so you can make an informed decision for yourself.

Last edited: