vcds mods

mcracer516

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Gold (totaled in pileup on I-25 3/1/2014), 2013 JSW Blue, 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5XT Blue 17mpg city :(
I'm still confused on turning off the DRL's, I see 3-4 settings in there for DRL's and I'm not sure which ones I should check/uncheck to get them to turn off.

It also had the TPMS installed unchecked, but my car does have TPMS so I checked it. Should I have left that feature unchecked?

Last edited:

mcracer516

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Gold (totaled in pileup on I-25 3/1/2014), 2013 JSW Blue, 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5XT Blue 17mpg city :(
I turned on the coming home, and leaving home features too, but they don't seem to be working.

diamond.g

TDI
2012 United Grey Golf TDI 6MT w/Tech
On 2012 TDI's it appears you can enable 2-Stage ESC. Change Byte 6 and Byte 14 (80,01) in the ABS module.

diamond.g

TDI
2012 United Grey Golf TDI 6MT w/Tech
More info please....pros, cons, etc.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5896851-Last-traction-control-thread-needed
is where I found the information. I haven't tested it much (other than to verify it infact does show ESC Disabled). It appears that only Golfs with the same ABS module as the R/GTI/TDI (which so far appears to be all 2012+ models) will work with the coding. The initial finder was mainly doing it for Golf R's, but some folks with a GTI and TDI gave it a try.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5898219-How-to-DEFEAT-ESP-for-FREE!!!!!

Above is the link where they show exactly what bytes to change.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Finding the bulb that is out?

I just received my cable today! I want to find out what bulb is causing a fault on my son's MKV Jetta gasser. I can't find any light that appears to be out on his car, so I'm hoping VCDS can help me.

Can someone tell me how I find the bulb with my new VCDS?

if I do an Auto-Scan, will it tell me the bulb specifically?

I'll be seeing my son soon and wanted to check his car. I did the Auto-Scan on my MKVI Golf TDI and had no faults. I'm just trying to be prepared when I go to visit my son so I can check his car.

Thank you!

SomeJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6m
2011 JSW - enable sliding roof via key fob

Has anyone figured out how to have the 2011 JSW sunroof slide open rather than tilt open using the key fob?
I finally got this fully figured out today on my 2011 JSW.
Steps:
1: Goto 4F-Centr. Electr. 2 -> Coding-07 -> long coding helper -> Byte 1 Bit 0 (Comfort Function Sliding Roof: Tilted) = uncheck
2: Exit
3: Do it!
4: Close Controller, Go Back - 06
5: Make sure doors are unlocked
6: Goto 09-Cent. Elect. -> Coding-07 -> long coding helper ->
Byte 3 Bit 0 (Comfort opening for sliding roof active) = checked
Byte 3 Bit 2 (Comfort opening type for sunroof(0=open/1=lift) = unchecked
Byte 3 Bit 5 (comfort operation via remote control active) = checked
7: Exit
8: Do it!

That's it! Enjoy!

J

Last edited:

canux

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Beetle TDI

Rob_MacCara

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi Q3 gasser
I finally got this fully figured out today on my 2011 JSW.
Steps:
1: Goto 4F-Centr. Electr. 2 -> Coding-07 -> long coding helper -> Byte 1 Bit 0 (Comfort Function Sliding Roof: Tilted) = uncheck
2: Exit
3: Do it!
4: Close Controller, Go Back - 06
5: Make sure doors are unlocked
6: Goto 09-Cent. Elect. -> Coding-07 -> long coding helper ->
Byte 3 Bit 0 (Comfort opening for sliding roof active) = checked
Byte 3 Bit 2 (Comfort opening type for sunroof(0=open/1=lift) = unchecked
Byte 3 Bit 5 (comfort operation via remote control active) = checked
7: Exit
8: Do it!

That's it! Enjoy!

J
Worked for me - Thanks very much for the walk-through!

gli4tj

TDI
2013 GLI Nav
How different is the JSW than a mk6 Jetta sedan. I know they use different platform but shouldnt some of this work for the MK6 Jetta. I have a 13 gli/nav.

dassergio

TDI
mk6 2012 tdi
I know for a fact the '11 jsw has it, it is not the idea but rather the execution that makes it sketchy, the issue I have with it is that it holds for nearly 2 seconds, which is an eternity when you are attempting to perform a perfectly executed entrance into heavy traffic from a steep side road.

If the hill hold lasted for about half a second it would be ideal, buying you just enough time to transition to the gas and pull away, instead I find myself waiting for a second before attempting to go, otherwise I just sit there burning the clutch waiting for the damn hill hold to turn off. this is compounded if you learned the heel toe gas brake maneuver on a non hill hold car.

The best solution I have come up with is to brake extremely lightly, the car is almost inching backwards, then I can pull away burning minimal clutch and brake.. I'd really like it if I could speed up the disengagement though. my reflexes are good enough that I don't need 2 seconds to do anything.
The brake assist shuts off ass soon as you press the accelerator. It doesnt work on a time basis unless you let go of the brake and dont push on the gas.

not2shabby

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Just use sport mode.
That's an option, but I'm looking for something in between sport and auto. Sport seems to keep the rpm's a little too high for good mpg while auto lets the rpm's drop below turbo threshold at certain speeds. I think the optimum would be to keep it between 1.5 and 2.2k. I've been getting between 34 and 38 mpg on my 8 mile commute depending on traffic, lights, etc. I'll try sport on the way home and see what I get.

not2shabby

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
That's another option...but since I have the VCDS now I was just wondering if it's possible to make shift point changes with it.
I did try sport mode the other day on the way home and got about 4-5 mpg less.

bfalke1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI, Tech Package, 6MT, 4 door - SOLD
GOLF DRL Disable/Enable

Not sure if anyone experimented or explained this already, but while I was installing my LED Tails, I thought I accidentally disabled my DRLs (long story short, I felt dumb, and learned they are off by default when the Parking Brake is on).

But while I was trying to fix them, I found a setting, byte 15, bit 7 which reads "Daytime Running Light (DRL) Adaptation active (MFA+)". I have that enabled, and it did something quite handy for those looking to disable DRLs.

This will let you turn on and off your DRL's at will via the MFA/MFI (whatever you want to call it).

This was on my 2013 Golf w/Tech, not sure what other models offer this setting. I will run down to my car later today, and get a pic of the MFA setting option if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Oilerlord

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI w/DSG. 700 Mile Club. 2008 BMW X3 "Beatrice", 2004 BMW 330Xi, 2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric
I used VCDS to change my speedometer region from USA to Canada. (US car) I noticed afterwards that my speedometer and odometer were reading fast by about 5%. Confirmed this with 2 GPS units.
Changed it back to USA region and all is back to normal. Strange because the bit rate for both calibrations is "7". Don't know what difference is in calibration.
Anyways, maybe of interest for someone that has installed larger diameter tires than stock to compensate for the speedometer error.
I bought a US 2012 JSW and I'm looking for a simple way using VCDS to change the speedometer needle to reflect KM/h. For example: The needle at "60" now reflects 60 KM/h. I just received my VCDS cable and contacted Ross-Tech, but they say it isn't possible without changing the cluster, and even if you could it would be "illegal". I thought I'd post here before playing around. You help is appreciated.

not2shabby

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Not sure if anyone experimented or explained this already, but while I was installing my LED Tails, I thought I accidentally disabled my DRLs (long story short, I felt dumb, and learned they are off by default when the Parking Brake is on).

But while I was trying to fix them, I found a setting, byte 15, bit 7 which reads "Daytime Running Light (DRL) Adaptation active (MFA+)". I have that enabled, and it did something quite handy for those looking to disable DRLs.

This will let you turn on and off your DRL's at will via the MFA/MFI (whatever you want to call it).

This was on my 2013 Golf w/Tech, not sure what other models offer this setting. I will run down to my car later today, and get a pic of the MFA setting option if anyone is interested in seeing it.
I don't think this works on 2010's, but I'll give it a try.

bfalke1

Veteran Member
TDI
I have captured some pictures of it in my MFA and via use of reflective surfaces :) Sorry for the lighting in the last two pics, but that is a tinted glass in my parking garage, and daylight on the other side, so the camera is dim to capture the reflections...

Close up of setting in MFA:

Notice that setting is enabled, the DRLs are on, Car on, Praking off, and other lights you can see in reflection:

Notice that setting is disabled, the DRLs are off, Car on, Praking off, and other lights you can see in reflection:

bfalke1

Veteran Member
TDI
my new mod. indicator celebration (gauge sweep)
17-instrumentation -> adaptation -> indicator celebration -> switch to on -> click DO IT!. and enjoy
2013 jetta sportwagen TDI

http://www.youtube.com/embed/3shcViS_PY0
Nice Find! Works on my 2013 Golf!!!

I am now Staging Enabled! Per another thread it doesnt work on all clusters... It works on Mine which is a "5K0 920 973 C" cluster.

Last edited:

Instain

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
Nice Find! Works on my 2013 Golf!!!

I am now Staging Enabled! Per another thread it doesnt work on all clusters... It works on Mine which is a "5K0 920 973 C" cluster.
I'm going to be getting a VCDS cable myself shortly. How did you find out you had that cluster?

bfalke1

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm going to be getting a VCDS cable myself shortly. How did you find out you had that cluster?
The first thing you should do before any changes is run an auto-scan, and save it, it will show you in the address 17 - instruments. When you open the instruments controller it will show you as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Instain

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
The first thing you should do before any changes is run an auto-scan, and save it, it will show you in the address 17 - instruments. When you open the instruments controller it will show you as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Thanks for the pointers. I just got my VCDS cable today. Looks like my 2013 uses the same instrument cluster as yours. Now I get a grin-inducing sweep from the tac and speedo everytime I turn the thing on :D

rosadmr

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
VCDS Mods

I just got my Ross-Tech cable in today and have been busy updating! I found out that my 2013 JSW has the capability of all the great features of the pre-VCDS updates. I found out that I could get my sunroof to retract and close instead of just tilting with the key fob. I turned on the coming home feature and the ability to turn off the DRL's in the MFI. I changed the seat belt sound and turned on the emergency flashes for hard braking (although I am not sure it works, I tried a few times and nothing). I was hoping to get my gage cluster to stage but it is not possible in a TDI. I enabled mirror tilt when in reverse but it didn't do anything, unless I am unaware of what I am missing. I did enable the seat heater memory, which is nice in the winter. If anyone has any other great mods they like let me know!