Which Catalytic Converter to Buy?

skrewdriver

TDI
'98 New Beetle
I believe (and desperately hope) that I finally know what's causing my limp mode problem. There's a whistlings coming from the catalytic converter, plus there's a decent sized dent in the front/side of it. Hopefully this is the problem. Either way, it could stand to be replaced.

Based on what I gathered by calling around town, it is much cheaper to buy one and just have someone weld it in. So, which one to buy? I did a search through the forums here and found a link listing several sites to get them from. Only one was in the US.

http://www.discountconverter.com/diesel/index.htm

Now my prob is that I don't know which one I need. I have a '98 Beetle TDI. Can anyone give me any assistance on this one?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
LDT-210, I installed this on my car to replace the OEM. Make sure you measure the pipe diameter (inlet and outlet) and give those when ordering.

A local muffler shop welded it on for me $20.00

DB

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
skrewdriver said:
I have a '98 Beetle TDI. Can anyone give me any assistance on this one?
Does your state have a mandatory inspection system? Will anyone ever look to see if you still have a catalytic converter? If not, then consider a cat-ectomy. (along with mufflerectomy)

skrewdriver

TDI
'98 New Beetle
Thanks for the responses guys.

There is no emissions laws in this State (WI) as far as I know. Removing the cat/muffler defeats one of the reasons I bought the car though. To me its worth it to replace it.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
Same here, I prefer the clean smelling diesels and resulting reduction in invisible smoke. Diesels have a hard enough time getting acceptance without people intentionally giving us another black eye by removing the catalytic converters.

The good news is that my car passed the emissions test after install (opacity) along with the visual inspection which looks for the cat.

DB

panda

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
My exhaust pipe has cleanly broken off (another case of metal fatigue) where it exits the converter. I'm going to see if it can be welded or at least tack welded so I can drive it while I collect parts. So I may be in need of a either a new catalytic converter or downpipe and catalytic converter. The link to http://www.discountconverter.com/diesel/index.htm seems to have the cheapest price. I assume this type of CAT can be welded in without taking the downpipe off the car, correct? If I have to take the downpipe off it would probably be cheaper to buy a unit that didn't require any welding. Any opinions? Thanks.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
panda said:
My exhaust pipe has cleanly broken off (another case of metal fatigue) where it exits the converter. I'm going to see if it can be welded or at least tack welded so I can drive it while I collect parts. So I may be in need of a either a new catalytic converter or downpipe and catalytic converter. The link to http://www.discountconverter.com/diesel/index.htm seems to have the cheapest price. I assume this type of CAT can be welded in without taking the downpipe off the car, correct? If I have to take the downpipe off it would probably be cheaper to buy a unit that didn't require any welding. Any opinions? Thanks.
Mine failed at the weld also... you can weld it back.

I saw that page a while back, but I'm checking on another company as well (from my old neck of the woods).

panda

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
I did get it welded. For once on a VW a repair that easy to get at, 10 minutes and $30. Definitely worth trying if the rest of the exhaust system is in decent shape.

G

gboss

Are people getting the ceramic or metallic? Does anyone have theirs on long enough to know the longevity?

Thanks

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
OEM is ceramic, which is what I installed ie the LDT210

DB