Is this a normal amount of blow-by for a warm EA288 engine?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Maybe a little OCD on such a new car. I don't think I've ever run my 2006 TDI with the oil fill cap off. Since you did ask though, my assessment would be that your car is fine in regards to blow by. The small amount of oil vapor you are seeing is circulated back to the intake by the CCV system.

What are your impressions of the EA288 engine? IDK if you have this PDF, but it is a really great read. http://pics3.tdiclub.com/data/517/820433_EA288.pdf

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Maybe a little OCD on such a new car. I don't think I've ever run my 2006 TDI with the oil fill cap off. Since you did ask though, my assessment would be that your car is fine in regards to blow by. The small amount of oil vapor you are seeing is circulated back to the intake by the CCV system.
What are your impressions of the EA288 engine? IDK if you have this PDF, but it is a really great read. http://pics3.tdiclub.com/data/517/820433_EA288.pdf
That is a great one Ol Man :)

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
Thanks for the PDF link, that might take my entire day at the office to fully read =)

OCD doesn't begin to describe it, I keep these TDI on a tight leash.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
determining proper blow by with the oil cap or dip stick removed is almost impossible as it completely bypasses the complicated CCV system which needs a closed system in the crankcase to properly work.

Until the dip stick starts popping out or oil is seen around a closed filler cap, what your seeing is normal on a TDI as well as a TSI.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Thanks for the PDF link, that might take my entire day at the office to fully read =)
OCD doesn't begin to describe it, I keep these TDI on a tight leash.
When I read about the variable displacement oil pump, 3 water pumps and some of the other Modern Marvels VW did, my wallet went into cardiac arrest. :D

A little OCD can be a good thing because it can drive you to a better understanding about how things work. If you find your self changing the air filter 17 times in a week, not so much.....................

As an aside, if you location has a geographic reference to it, it can be useful to help in figuring out issues you might post about. It doesn't have to be an exact location, just so it represents you local climate.

Last edited:

mopower

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW
I had taken a video from the first start of the following day, the amount of blow-by seemed to be about the same if not a touch less.

https://youtu.be/rpyhUhyPe2E

I don't think this engine has any problem, but I do think that looking at engine blow-by can help someone figure out if everything is normal or something isn't quite right.

Konig1

TDI
2015 GSW Manual
completely normal. diesels do this. do not worry. (this engine monitors everything very closely, if something was wrong, you would have a check engine light on for sure.)

just make sure you use VW507 oil. that is all.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
completely normal. diesels do this. do not worry. (this engine monitors everything very closely, if something was wrong, you would have a check engine light on for sure.)

just make sure you use VW507 oil. that is all.
No, the engine does not monitor "everything". The check engine light is only turned on by the ECU for emission related issues. Excessive blowby would not set the CIL.

Last edited: