Tire Wear

turbodan62

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI, Rabit TDI
my 2015 Pasatt ( 31150 miles ) w / continental pro/ contact tires are showing a lot of were !! Are these tires that bad ,or an alignment problem Thanks Tdan P.S. What is a better tire ??:eek:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
This is the MK VII Golf Forum, I'll move this to the Passat Forum for you.

Last edited:

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
We replaced the OEM Continentals on our 2013 Paasat at around 63K miles, wear was still perfectly even on all four, nothing except routine rotation and balancing during that time. They actually had decent fair weather tread on them at the end, but winter was coming on, so we bought new.

chirping

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
my 2015 Pasatt ( 31150 miles ) w / continental pro/ contact tires are showing a lot of were !! Are these tires that bad ,or an alignment problem Thanks Tdan P.S. What is a better tire ??:eek:
What kind of wear? Bald on the inside or outside edges? Cupping? Feathering? Or are they just wearing out prematurely?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
In any event plan on getting a proper alignment when you replace the tires. A good alignment person can look at your tires as they are now and tell most likely what your problem is.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
What size are they? Replaced mine at 45k (around 5/32") on the passat 235/45r18, at 47k on the bug 215/55r17 (1-3/32", the rest at 5/32). Both were continental contipro contact, now are Michelin primacy mxv4. Are you mostly city or highway driving?

Last edited:

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Mine are showing a pretty good amount of wear at 36K. I think I will replace them in October before the snow.

johnnyrotten

TDI
2014 PASSAT TDI SEL
I had what I was told was a radial pull in my Conti Pro tire which caused the car to pull severely to the right. Continental paid for 1 tire and I paid for the second. Had them replaced at 31k miles. the other 2 just wore out at 65k miles. Replaced the two with pirelli's. Lets see how they do!

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
radial pull is a term I've never heard before, sounds like super BS.

chirping

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
radial pull is a term I've never heard before, sounds like super BS.
Radial pulls are very common. I've been working in a shop for roughly ten years, and nearly every time I'm given an alignment based on a pull, my first step is to check tire pressures and then to swap the front tires side-to-side (if pressures weren't a concern). I've found that tires are more commonly the source of a pull than alignment.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks for that info Funguy. Defective tires with quality brands I would sumise is less common than with low end tires. The left to right switch is as good as any in cases if bad tire, as long as both aren't bad.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
Thanks for that info Funguy. Defective tires with quality brands I would sumise is less common than with low end tires. The left to right switch is as good as any in cases if bad tire, as long as both aren't bad.
It was a new term to me also. One of my relatives likes to buy "Deal" tires from the local shop. He's had two blow-outs and I found a bubble on the side of his kid's sidewall also. Talk about penny smart pound foolish. I warned him but......

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Cheap tires like a lot of other things can get real expensive to use.