VW Changed HPFP Suppliers In Early 2010?

cardinarky

Veteran Member
TDI
NB 99 White
Does anyone know if there is any truth to the comment made on another diesel forum that VW changed either diesel fuel pump suppliers or fuel pump materials/design early in 2010? This was stated on the Ford Powerstroke forum and they are having the identical pump problem issues. Again the manufacturer is trying to blame poor fuel quality in the majority of the cases.
The really bad thing that I read while over ther is that BOSCH demands that the first full fill of fuel in vehicles with their HPFP's must have a lubricity rating of <400 for proper pump break-in.
Now how are we going to do that when the car is delivered with a full tank by the dealer from God knows where?

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
One of the threads here has a collection going on of all numbers off the pump. If anything has changed with them, there has been no correlation made to any of the numbers anywhere on the pump to indicate it thus far. Basicly comes down to know one really knows.

I would have to guess what you are reading is pure unfounded internet rumor/speculation if there is nothing backing it up. It's a nice revalation for those of us with later built cars if that does turn out to be true, but I wouldnt bet the farm on it with nothing backing it.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
So where . . .

Does anyone know if there is any truth to the comment made on another diesel forum that VW changed either diesel fuel pump suppliers or fuel pump materials/design early in 2010? This was stated on the Ford Powerstroke forum and they are having the identical pump problem issues. Again the manufacturer is trying to blame poor fuel quality in the majority of the cases.
The really bad thing that I read while over ther is that BOSCH demands that the first full fill of fuel in vehicles with their HPFP's must have a lubricity rating of <400 for proper pump break-in.
Now how are we going to do that when the car is delivered with a full tank by the dealer from God knows where?
:)

. . . pray tell is anyone going to get any D2 that has that high of a rating for lubricity? :confused:

The only way I know of is by the new owner adding a
lot of any good additive of which VW does not approve! :(

And as stated, the dealer always fills the tank with whatever is available at the
closest station, and as we all know, it takes approximately 500 miles before
we, as the new owner, can get to that point where we need a full tank.

Seriously, I doubt if any commercially available D2 has that high of
a lubricity rating regardless of what a certain individual thinks! :p

I seriously doubt that VW/Bosch has changed pump suppliers.
IF they did or were to do so, wouldn't you think that the part number would be different so that the
parts people would be able to tell an early or bad pump from the newer and supposedly better pump?
This has not been done yet to the best of my knowledge and that of my parts' department friend.

:D

D

Last edited:

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
The excuses either by VW or Bosch and/or both are total loads of bat guanno !!

It is not like the ULSD standards were NOT known in Oct 2006. That happens to be the US MANDATORY conversion date from LSD to ULSD !!! We don't need to remove our shoes to count: 1, too, free YEARS to the 2009 MY with higher percentages of HPFP issues. Truly, the standards were known WAY before !!! Indeed my 03 TDI was designed to be run on ULSD.

birkie

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 jetta wagon, red
Is there a link to the thread mentioned? I couldn't find anything in a brief search of the 6.7L section. The new 6.7 liter engine is the one that uses a bosch CP4.2 (the two-piston version of our CP4.1).

As an interesting side note, the older 6.4 engine looks like it has a host of similar problems. The pump in that engine seems to be produced by Siemens.

Ironically, in a thread regarding the 6.4:
Ford built a vehicle that demands perfect fuel or crap happens. Unfortunately, lots of diesel fuel does not fit the design demands. Ford sold a very finicky vehicle to the general public and the fuel is not consistent enough to keep it happy. I'd say this is Ford's fault for not treating the test trucks like the end user would. And now we are all exposed to it. I bet the fuel system is less finicky in the 6.7
See also:
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-10-03.php

PaulGiz

Veteran Member
TDI
None any more. My heart couldn't take it.
Don't worry about the "first tank" from your local dealership. VW engines are run in at the factory in Germany before being put in a car (or shipped to Mexico for to be put in a car). First thing the fuel pumps sees is very good quality fuel at VW.

P.

bruce846

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI's
So, quickie question, if these fuel pumps cost approx. $850 and another $250 to install why wouldn't any owner be more than happy to split the cost with VW if they agreed... seems like cheap insurance until this gets sorted out. This assumes that a redesigned HPFP has indeed been introduced. I probably would opt for this if offered, plus an additional warranty on the fuel system.

Last edited:

epc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Don't worry about the "first tank" from your local dealership. VW engines are run in at the factory in Germany before being put in a car (or shipped to Mexico for to be put in a car). First thing the fuel pumps sees is very good quality fuel at VW.

P.
I just cannot believe this is true.

The engine factory would fill the engine with motor oil, hook up the fuel, coolant, electrical and exhaust duct, run it, disconnect everything and then drain the oil, before pack it for shipping?

Highly doubt it.

birkie

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 jetta wagon, red
The engine factory would fill the engine with motor oil, hook up the fuel, coolant, electrical and exhaust duct, run it, disconnect everything and then drain the oil, before pack it for shipping?
Check out this post by fellow member drivbiwire. It suggests that each engine might indeed be put through a fairly elaborate run-in procedure before leaving the factory.

PaulGiz

Veteran Member
TDI
None any more. My heart couldn't take it.
I just cannot believe this is true.

Highly doubt it.
You may doubt it, but facts are facts. Each engine is rated, run in and then drained, packed and shipped before it goes on a car.

Volkswagen is a high-quality, respected maker of quality vehicles around the world.

Our problem is VWOA, the US distributor, and their henchmen, our friendly local dealer.

P.

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
You may doubt it, but facts are facts. Each engine is rated, run in and then drained, packed and shipped before it goes on a car.

Volkswagen is a high-quality, respected maker of quality vehicles around the world.

Our problem is VWOA, the US distributor, and their henchmen, our friendly local dealer.

P.
So VWOA designed the engine, speced out the pump?

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
No Change to HPFPs

I seriously doubt that VW/Bosch has changed pump suppliers.
IF they did or were to do so, wouldn't you think that the part number would be different so
that the parts people would be able to tell an early or bad pump from the newer and
supposedly better pump? This has not been done yet to the best of my knowledge
and that of my parts' department friend.

Checked yesterday morning while at the dealership getting my complimentory 20K service
performed, and the part number for the HPFP is still exactly the same, so we
know that all the HPFP pumps have not be changed or upgraded.

D

bruce846

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI's
:(

Checked yesterday morning while at the dealership getting my complimentory 20K service

D
Interesting, however, if you change the part number on a new HPFP, you are admitting that maybe the earlier ones had a problem. I asked a similar question 6 months ago and got a response from some vets that it wouldn't be the first time VW changed a part and not the number... ie. date code for differentiation.

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R

D
Just because there is no PN change does NOT necessarily mean that the part itself has not been changed, improved or redesigned.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
Just because there is no PN change does NOT necessarily mean that the part itself has not been changed, improved or redesigned.
If the form, fit, or function changes, then the accepted standard is to change the part number.

But if the part is interchangeable and backwards compatible, a revised part will usually have a revision number or suffix identifier on the part number. I would expect that if VW upgraded the HPFP, there would be a suffix identifier added to the part number. This is done so the upgraded part can be tracked going forward.

gmeyerga

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
VW and HPFP

All this HPFP discussion is a re-run of the window problems of the 2000
Golfs ands Jettas. First VW denies there is a problem, then they selectively
fix the one window that fell down (hoping, maybe, the other won't, at least in the warranty period), and then they finally take care of both windows when one had fallen down. All due to a poorly designed plastic window bracket!
I believe that VW finally caved in because of pressure from the Feds for a general recall. Should I have HTPF problems my first move will be to contact
the NTSB.
Can't imagine why VW is risking all this bad publicity when they are trying to
establish diesels here. But then again, maybe they aren't.