Phase 1 (fixed) "New" 2015 Mileage thread

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
dubStrom, a DSG tune might address your driveability complaints. I know Jeff at Rocketchip makes a number of changes to improve responsiveness and shift patterns in the DSG. He says the changes make the car smoother to drive, and improves in-town fuel economy. Highway economy doesn't change. And an engine tune might help, too. Folks I know who've tuned their '15s are seeing better power and responsiveness but no loss of FE.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
2015 on board calculator for mileage is pretty horrible. My car thinks it's getting a 48 mpg average on its tank, but pen and paper typically tells me it's only getting 41.

Been hovering around 40-43 so far, but I drive like ****.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
Airbus, what's the drive from Montreal to Toronto like? I'm doing that in two weeks. Looks really boring on a map.
It's pretty boring.

For a nice diversion take the 1000 Island Parkway. It'll cost you about 10 minutes but the views of the river are beautiful.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Better yet going west from the Quebec border and take exit 778 and go south for about 1 mile on Moulinette Rd to the OLD highway # 2 and follow it west.
This was many years ago the route to and from Montreal. It is a bit over 400km or 250 miles.

You'll go through many towns in rural Ontario. You can take it all the way to just before you get to the east side of Toronto in Pickering.

This would take you through, Morrisburg, Cardinal, Brockville, Gananoque, Kingston, Napanee, Bellevile, Cobourg, Port Hope, Oshawa, Whitby and Ajax.
At Gananoque keep a sharp lookout for the 1.000 Island Parkway and it will join Highway 2 again.

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Sorry for the slight hijack, but thanks for the great tips. We have planned one full travel day between our stops in Montreal and Toronto, so we have plenty of time to take it slow that day.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
My MFA has only been off 2-3 mpg,if that. The MFA was reading in the 49mpg range in the "since refuel" section,and my pen and paper was 47.3 mpg. This car is getting better mpg than my old B4 and A3 TDI,even though this is the DSG, not a 5spd.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
36 mpg? Ouch! Obviously opposite driving conditions from mine.

I'd love to see what mine would do with tune and dpf delete, but I just can't get any reasonable assurance the tune would pass Delaware's obd2 readiness check when they plug in. They don't check the hardware here. Software is my only concern.
The only sensor that gets deleted is the LP EGR temp sensor, everything else is plugged in and functions. Warranty is a different story.

I'm amazed at the economy you're getting in stock form though! Check my fill ups to compare, it's been deleted for a year now plus it's 6MT and I drive for economy 95% of the time. Just added some lighter wheels/tires (6lbs less on each corner) and seeing a bump there as well, should be more as tread begins to wear. 63k miles on it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
The only sensor that gets deleted is the LP EGR temp sensor, everything else is plugged in and functions. Warranty is a different story.

I'm amazed at the economy you're getting in stock form though! Check my fill ups to compare, it's been deleted for a year now plus it's 6MT and I drive for economy 95% of the time. Just added some lighter wheels/tires (6lbs less on each corner) and seeing a bump there as well, should be more as tread begins to wear. 63k miles on it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I will get the Phase 2 fix done first probably, if only to get the sticker under the hood for whatever that may be worth, before any potential modding.

As far as my mileage goes, I am beyond impressed with this TDI. The EA288 is the most efficient and most powerful of the four TDI's I've owned. Just a sweet piece of engineering by VW, even post-fix. The fact it was also cheaper to buy new than my first TDI and has triple the warranty is icing on the cake.

Full disclosure on mileage: Keep in mind that I only drive this car for trips over 20 miles. Any errands or hooning are satisfied by my modded GTI. :D. The mileage on the GTI has dropped from low 30s to mid 20s since it lost its commuter/road tripper role.

Last edited:

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
Better yet going west from the Quebec border and take exit 778 and go south for about 1 mile on Moulinette Rd to the OLD highway # 2 and follow it west.

This would take you through, Morrisburg, Cardinal, Brockville, Gananoque, Kingston, Napanee, Bellevile, Cobourg, Port Hope, Oshawa, Whitby and Ajax.
At Gananoque keep a sharp lookout for the 1.000 Island Parkway and it will join Highway 2 again.
I'm guessing this would add an hour to an hour and a half to the drive. It would be beautiful, but IMO not worth it.

The 1000 Parkway adds minimal time and is totally worth it.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
FE is the issue

dubStrom, a DSG tune might address your driveability complaints. I know Jeff at Rocketchip makes a number of changes to improve responsiveness and shift patterns in the DSG. He says the changes make the car smoother to drive, and improves in-town fuel economy. Highway economy doesn't change. And an engine tune might help, too. Folks I know who've tuned their '15s are seeing better power and responsiveness but no loss of FE.
FE is bad enough to be the primary concern right now. I can get performance by pressing the accelerator down, at cost of even MORE FE loss! My 2014 held speed with higher FE. This 2015 can't maintain speed without oddly low FE... must press the accel peddle more than normal (seems). Instantaneous readouts are way lower and hand calculated FE bears it out.

I'd like to tune for FE. If DSG tune will also help, I will do it.

tdiinsc

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI, 14' Jetta TDI
My wife and I just picked up a 2015 CPO Sportwagen DSG. The car already had the phase 1 fix installed. In her mixed driving (~75% hwy/25 city) we have been getting 42-43mpg (over 4 tanks). Her last tank was bad at 37mpg, have no clue if any regens happend on this tank either. In our area, i usually fill up at the local QT which has ultra low sulfur diesel with up to 5% B5. Not sure if we should be expecting better, but we still havent taken it on an all hwy trip yet. This last tank i added some stanadyne and the cars computer (Since last refuel) has been showing 47mpg in the same mixed driving.

I think we just have to take all these numbers with a grain of salt, especially for those who dont have that many full tanks of gas to report on. It might also be helpful to know if you have any sort of 3rd party tune on your car (kerma..malone) to put the numbers into context.

Last edited:

Alan Drake

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 DSG
2015 Jetta SE, DSG using 100% Mobil fuel, fix 1 done, no fix 2

Just turned 9,000 miles, finding a delta of 12% calculated v. computer, real mileage is less. With 19 tanks the overall number is 40.8 - that includes some (4-8) trips of 100 - 125 miles on highway.

One thing I have noticed is that on the highway it's simple to get 52mpg while my 2010 would get 48mpg so a little better.

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
2015 Sportwagen DSG, got it brand new in November and doing 45-50mpg (US gal) from first tank, very impressed. It took the last couple tdi's a couple tanks before you could hit 600 miles, this one is doing it from brand new and a smaller tank too. We have hit higher mpg on trips but not over the entire tank. Its better then our 2014even loaded down with 3 adults, 2 kids and a weekends luggage and still outdoes the older car when empty...we rarely hit 600 on the older one, this one its easy. Just over 6k miles to date and had its first oil change this week, what a pain in the ass...stupid upside down filter hidden by the coolant heater and harnesses and no drain on the filter cup like a gas engine. Not sure what the stage 2 fix will bring...

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
2015 GSW: I was averaging 47-50 per tank before Phase 1 fix with a best of 55mpg. Post fix Im lucky to get 45mpg with the worst at 36mpg. After Phase 2 Im removing all emmissions and installing a Euro tuning box.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
If you're removing all your emissions stuff, why not just go full blown Malone Off Road Tune?

Just saying

Our Passat gets right at 45MPG in mixed driving tank after tank with a stg 2 tune after we bought it with phase 1 fix already implemented

tdiinsc

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI, 14' Jetta TDI
Took a long drive to DC this weekend....

Filled up using quik trip diesel prior to leaving. Drive was all highway with speeds ranging from 55 to 75 and some stopped bumper to bumper traffic. The cars trip computer estimated 57mpg, but when i did the hand calc it was 50mpg. Drove 500 miles there and still had a theoretical range of 150 more until completely empty (had rougly 3 gallons left in the tank). I'm happy with that, we get about 42 with more mixed driving. I really am considering the Kerma ECU/DSG tune for after phase 2 is complete, but still on the fence due to warranty.

joshuafail

TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Y'all are doing way better than me.

Bought a DSG 2015 in Jan, first tank was 36 (I think a fluke), the last 2 have been 32. I'm 430 miles into this tank and at about 1/4 left- my (not so) educated guess is it's going to be 35ish.
Grated, I do have a lead foot (80+ mph) but my drives are mostly highway so I think it would be a tad better. I took it easier this tank, maybe I'll be wrong and actual MPG will be higher, but if not, 32 is still good all things considered...

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
I've put on about 3500 miles on the Golf since I purchased it at the end of January. 45.1 mpg average (hand calc), mostly highway running 70-75mph.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
2015 GSW: I was averaging 47-50 per tank before Phase 1 fix with a best of 55mpg. Post fix Im lucky to get 45mpg with the worst at 36mpg. After Phase 2 Im removing all emmissions and installing a Euro tuning box.
Just for whatever it's worth, a"good:confused:" tuning box will cost about as much as proper Stage 2 tune from one of the vendors on the TDI club forum. There is no comparison from a real TUNE!

Quincy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI, 2007 Dodge Cummins QC 4X4 6 sp, 2007 John Deere 3120
I bought a 2015 Passat TDI SE DSG with 13,200 miles in mid January (phase 1 fixed). I'm pleased enough with my mileage so far. Until mid February I had an easy 60 mile round trip commute. After that and up until last week I didn't have a commute but a lot a bouncing around here and there in mixed driving. Now I have a pretty easy 50 mile round trip daily.

I stuffed the tank the day I bought it and filled it for the 5th time yesterday. I do the math every time and my mpg numbers in order are 43, 42, 39, 39 and yesterday's fill was 42.8. The running mileage computer stills shows every mile that is mine and that average shows 41.8 mpg (a tad higher than reality).

ecollent

TDI
2015 Jetta SE 6MT
Currently 11000 miles on post-phase 1 fix 2015 Jetta TDI 6MT. I've put approximately 1500 miles on it since I got it last month and 2 full tanks at this point, averaging 45.5 mpg. Probably 80% highway with an average speed of 70mpg while on the freeway.

Pretty impressed so far. Better performance and no significant fuel economy drop off from my 2006 TDI with a GDE tune (best of 52 but averaged 45-46 mpg)