Should I trade in my 14 Wolfsburg tdi wagon

Prairie golf

TDI
2014 golf wolfsburg wagon
Looking at trading in my wagon for a Tiguan. I do like the wagon but have had too many problems. In the 1 1/2 years I've had the car I have had a blend door, a few sensors, instrument cluster, t-stat, and water pump replaced. All under warranty. I still have heat problems and the brakes are loosing vacuum when the car sits overnight. Also my mileage is terrible after the 2306 emissions recall. I'm getting 10L per 100kms. Also with everything else going on with these cars it kinda sucks. Selling it privately is next to impossible. So here's the deal with all rebates plus tdi trade in allowance I'm looking at about $6000 off a 16 Tiguan. Dealer offered about 24,500 on trade. What do you guys think? Just trying to make the best of a bad situation

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
My inclination would be to wait awhile, maybe quite awhile as we're in Canada and the penalties for VW are not as onerous as the US. You're still under warranty and this situation *should be* resolved before your warranty expires.

What will you be out of pocket to do the deal?

The 2017 Tigs look pretty nice to me and offer a couple of different wheelbases.

Prairie golf

TDI
Still going over things. My original plan was I was going to use the car for work as I was putting on about 45k in mileage a year, so I bought extended warranty. Trying to negotiate to get that $$ back. My dealer principal is said he was going to talk to Vw Canada and see what they will do. Can probably transfer it to the new car but I want the $$$ I paid to help with the negative equity

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
It doesn't sound like too bad a deal to me especially if you can get the extended back or transferred. At least they're trying to work with you.

Prairie golf

TDI
Yeah not too bad. I'm sure I can probably get the warranty or part of it transferred but would prefer the cash I paid for it instead. They are giving the wife one today to drive while the wagon is in the shop.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Looking at trading in my wagon for a Tiguan. I do like the wagon but have had too many problems. In the 1 1/2 years I've had the car I have had a blend door, a few sensors, instrument cluster, t-stat, and water pump replaced. All under warranty. I still have heat problems and the brakes are loosing vacuum when the car sits overnight. Also my mileage is terrible after the 2306 emissions recall. I'm getting 10L per 100kms. Also with everything else going on with these cars it kinda sucks. Selling it privately is next to impossible. So here's the deal with all rebates plus tdi trade in allowance I'm looking at about $6000 off a 16 Tiguan. Dealer offered about 24,500 on trade. What do you guys think? Just trying to make the best of a bad situation
You got a dud, you're not happy with the emissions/resale value issue, and you want to reward VW by purchasing another car from them?:confused: Why not wait?

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
I still think at some point VWoC will have to get these cars off the road and the whole buy/sell dynamic will change at that point. When is the question.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I still think at some point VWoC will have to get these cars off the road and the whole buy/sell dynamic will change at that point. When is the question.
Yup. If that happens...if they make it worth my while (they offer up one hell of a deal)...I'd take them up on another car. i.e. New Passat SE and I walk with a smaller loan balance than I have at the moment. Unless it is a deal that is just stupid to pass up on, I'd go elsewhere.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Darn ~~ looks like your car has a lot of negativity with it :(

As far as you selling it `` the scandal will kill off some buyers ~~ but many diesel freaks will pony up for it. CL & Ebay is one thought.

any way ~~ good luck :)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have no idea why you are having the issues you are with the 2014 Sportwagon. We service a lot of these, and a medical courier fleet in particular has a whole boatload of 2013 and 2014 wagons, and I can count on one hand how many TOTAL issues they have had with the whole lot of them that come in here. I mean I am talking 50+ cars here. Most have already zipped past 100k miles already.

Maybe Volkswagen karma is not with you, I really don't know. But I would have to say if you think your experience with a Tiguan will be any different I would have to disagree. Maybe even worse. :(

oldhifi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux

Take it

Prairie golf

TDI
Still not sure what to do. Went to the dealer and drove a Tiguan last night. The car would be for my wife and she has driven one for a while. The last time our car was I. The shop that was her loaner. First impression was this is pretty nice. Give it some gas and buy no means is it slow but man I think I just realized how much torque my little tdi has. I feels like a rocket ship compare to the Tiguan. Now do I keep the wagon and keep me happy and cross my fingers and hope for no more problems or get the Tiguan and make my wig happy.

dgoodhue

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 6MT JSW
I am not sure on the CDN pricing. How much are you losing with a 24,500 trade in value?

In the 23k miles, my '14 SportWagen has been already back for two electrical problems (heat and airbag) under warranty, so mine has not been rock solid reliable either.

Prairie golf

TDI
With a trade of 24500 which include some trade assist from Vw Canada because of the problems I've had and my goodwill package and the 2000 tdi trade in allowance brings it to 27500 I got the car for 32500 a year and a half ago so 5000 less than what I paid. They are working on transferring my extended warranty to the new car. So not too bad I guess. But I suppose if a buyback maybe in the near future might be better to wait? If I want to switch brands then I'm hooped. The other Vw dealer in town offered me 20k on trade in

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
With a trade of 24500 which include some trade assist from Vw Canada because of the problems I've had and my goodwill package and the 2000 tdi trade in allowance brings it to 27500 I got the car for 32500 a year and a half ago so 5000 less than what I paid. They are working on transferring my extended warranty to the new car. So not too bad I guess. But I suppose if a buyback maybe in the near future might be better to wait? If I want to switch brands then I'm hooped. The other Vw dealer in town offered me 20k on trade in
I wouldn't hold my breath on VW resolving the emissions issue anytime soon. If you're wanting out of your car now or now-ish and you want another VW...you may as well go for it.

dgoodhue

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 6MT JSW
$5000CDN doesn't seem to bad for 1 1/2 years to me.

Prairie golf

TDI
Not too bad I guess. To me there is no real difference between $5000cdn or $5000us. It's all relative to your economy. I make cdn$$$ people down south make us$$$. It's still $5000 in the end. The plan was to keep the car but with everything that's going on and the problems I've had that's why I'm thinking about it.

Prairie golf

TDI
Almost made a deal yesterday on a Tiguan. The numbers are getting better. Thinking if I wait a bit might be able to get a better deal. I have Vw 5 star extended warranty on my car. The dealer said I can transfer to the new one. May all the$$ but most. I'm wanting the $$ to off set some negative equity. Does anybody know if you can do that?

Prairie golf

TDI
My dealer GM is getting pretty aggressive in a good way. The deal now sits at with trade in and rebates and trade assist from Vw and the tdi trade in credits and discount on the new car I break even! Getting what I paid for the car 1 1/2 years ago. Looking pretty good to switch over. $7200 back from Vw $1700 from dealer and I can transfer a portion of my extended Vw warranty. Was looking at a comfort line with nav but may go for a highlife or R line

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Too bad the Tiguan has such a small cargo for an SUV, less than 24 cubic feet. Such a waste of an SUV design in my view. Looking at the other not-large SUVs such as

Toyota RAV4 = 38 cubic feet
Ford Escape = 34 cubic feet
Mazda CX-5 = 34 cubic feet
Honda CR-V = 37 cubic feet

What was VW thinking?

Prairie golf

TDI
Not sure. But because of what's going on with the tdi scandal in stuck with Vw. If I didn't have so many problems with it I would just keep it