Would you purchase a TDI Post-Dieselgate

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
Just wondering how many people here would purchase a new/used CR TDI today post "Dieselgate"

Please indicate if you've had previous TDI's or if current is your first

This isnt my first rodeo with VW diesels and recently doubled down on a 2015 GSW

Love the car and Dieselgate didnt make me question my intent to get another VW for a second

Please keep all nonsense post out of this thread and save them for the dumpster sized grease fire of absurdity taking place in another thread.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I own one, and I'd buy another in a heartbeat. This issue means exactly nothing to me.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
yes. Because I don't want to drive a tin can fuel sipper gas model. I'd much rather stick with diesel.
I own one, and I'd buy another in a heartbeat. This issue means exactly nothing to me.
Same sentiments here on both comments. This is my first TDI, but I've always wanted a diesel prior to buying this car.

Jayp - you need to upgrade your TDI(s) owned details, now that you have a 2015!

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Dieselgate has no effect on my opinion I wouldnt buy another VW CR TDi. You couldnt give me a free one.

Chewyeti

TDI
15 GSW
Have a 2015, my car will likely be unaffected (mpg wise) and already has urea. I'd buy another one (if they could keep it from leaking water into the cabin)

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
I bought my 2012 A3 barely 2 weeks before VWgate hit.
It was then and still is exactly what I wanted but I would have bargained a lot harder had I known what was coming!

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I'd buy one in a NY minute. Have two tdi's and love them. Live in no emissions state so I'm good to go no matter what happens..

Tornado TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Highline 6MT
This is my second TDI and I'd buy another one.
Had the first one (2002 Golf) for 13 years and never had a problem with it.
I bought this new one intending to keep it at least 10 years, so I'm not concerned with resale value.
We don't have emissions checks here anymore, so, I won't have a problem registering it.

Last edited:

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
Yes......it may be sooner than expected depending on the outcome. I've had no more trouble out of this car than any before it.

Donald

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
I would too - just put my first thousand miles on the CUP car, about to roll over to 30k.
I've had 9 other TDI's I've purchased over the years; they have all been great!
-BB

tobianogreg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta returned
I love the look of the new Tiguans and they're *supposed* to come out with a TDI later this year. If that happens I'll probably take a good look.

1st VW Jetta TDI and I love the car despite the issues. After reading 75 pages of expensive hpfp failures, DPF's etc I'm a little nervous.

Slum Cut

TDI
2014 SportWagen
I'm hoping they start selling the ones with Urea tanks again (at a huge discount) in case there's a buyback frankly. If there's a buyback and they aren't offering TDIs and there are huge incentives to stay with VW I am going to be very annoyed. Non diesel TDIs are pretty zzzzz to me. I like the Golfs, but the wife and kids won't really fit as well as they do in the JSW we have, and a gas Golf doesn't sound appealing at all.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
I would consider another TDI, but I'd also consider a number of other vehicles.

The '14 JSW is my first TDI (first VW in about 25 years); it's been flawless for the first 35k miles (but that's faint praise) and meets my needs quite well.

However, diesel fuel here is currently 25% to 30% more than regular unleaded, which makes the diesel/gasser decision harder that it was at a 10% spread.

andydg

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to have SW & Passat
We have two tdi's in our garage. Not planning on getting rid of them until they wear out. Just wish VW would hurry up and fix the issue so we can keep putting on the miles. 80k on the '12 and 40k on the '14. Both have been excellent so far.

MplsP

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I'm with S2000 - I would consider a TDI, but think hard about it. I currently have a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI with 72,000 miles that has been a great car. It's had a few issues, but no major complaints.

As S2000 said, Diesel is frequently 15-20% more than gasoline, so the cost savings from better milage are reduced significantly. There have also been advances in gasoline engines over the last 5 years, such that they get better economy while still giving good performance. The 2016 Honda Accord for example is rated 27/36 MPG and consumer reports got 21/40 mpg on their test drive. That's with a 4 cylinder that went 0-60 in 7.7 seconds, 45-60 in 4.9 secs. It's hard to compare how a car drives just on specs, but the fact remains that the milage and performance are competitive.

Living in MN, cold weather starts are an issue, and the last 2 winters I've had problems starting my TDI when the temp is lower than -10 F, despite a new battery.

The other consideration is the damage that VW has done to the reputation of diesels as a whole. There are plenty of good, clean diesels by Mercedes, BMW, and even Audi/VW, but VW has managed to tarnish the reputation of all of them, hurting resale value. Not an issue if you're planning on keeping the car 10-15 years, but still a consideration.

So all in all, I probably wouldn't get another TDI. Not that they aren't good cars, but there are other factors that have cut into their advantages.

Riflesmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 6M, 2015 Golf TDI 6A
Personally owned 6, helped with purchase and setup of around 20, currently own 2.

Been driving diesel cars and pickups since 1982. Wouldn't have anything else.

Yes. I would buy a TDI, new or used, right now.

engineered2win

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf TDI
Never again
Reliability -> Myth
Resale Value -> Myth

Why even bother with a TDI that's getting about 40mpg, when I can get an AWD hot hatch that will do low 30's mpg with 300+hp? Premium fuel is $0.30-0.40 cheaper than diesel, so the payoff vs a 1.8T with similar performance is hundreds of thousands of miles. I can guarantee emissions or HPFP problems in those 200-300k miles judging by my TDI experience, which would further offset any cost savings.

Last edited:

goodysgotacuda

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Goft TDI/6spd & Jetta TDI/DSG
If I still "needed" mine, then yes, I would. I'd definitely be taking advantage of the few people trying to "dump" their TDIs right now. I bought mine second hand and have gone from 60,000-100,000 miles on it with zero problems with the avg mpg you see below (with a tune).

I am just about through with my ~400mi/wk commuting days and will be down to about 30mi/wk. I'll be hopping in to something more fun sooner-than-later.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I've got my 2000 NB and the 2015 Golf - and I'd get another tomorrow if the finances permitted. We buy cars and drive them until the wheels fall off ('98 Acura Integra - 278,000 miles, NB 339,000 miles, 2015 not quite a year and 12,000 miles).

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
1st VW Jetta TDI and I love the car despite the issues. After reading 75 pages of expensive hpfp failures, DPF's etc I'm a little nervous.

If it is any help to your nerves, I have 310,000 miles on 3 CR TDIs without an issue.

Tim

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
If they settle this before hell freezes over, I'd consider it. If they keep going on their current track...my fourth VW will be my last.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Well - I don't expect this to be over very soon - a year or 2 wouldn't surprise me greatly. Less than 6 months would shock the heck outta me.

rac

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
The 2009 JSW is my first and last TDI. And last VW. Reliability has been horrendous. The car has been a financial disaster. The emissions cheat turns out to be just one more item on a list of engineering compromises that went into the car.

Tip of the cap to VW marketing. "Clean Diesel" sounds sexier than "Barely meets legally mandated emissions standards (which we're ignoring)."

Ownership experience has been much like that with a 1999 Jetta VR6. Both fun cars, but I shouldn't have kept them beyond the warranty period. I also shouldn't have bought the first year of an all new model - twice.

dgoodhue

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 6MT JSW
JSW is my wife's car. Since being a clean diesel was a factor for her buying it, I think it is unlikely that she will buy another one. I think the only way she would buy another TDI would be if VW offered to buyback hers and offer an incentive on a new GSW TDI that made financial sense.

Sean2002

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI 6MT
I do not think I would buy another TDI. When I purchased my TDI in 2010, it was for a combination of the great mileage, $1700 tax rebate for being "green" and for the nice features at that price point. I have been happy with the car, but today I could get something bigger, like a Passat, with a gas engine that still gets close to the same mileage (40 vs. 38 HWY) and will cost me less upfront, less at the pump and less to repair. I would take a buy back / incentive to purchase a new VW at this point as we would like something bigger and with my current commute, I would probably get an automatic. Now if the 2016 TDIs were selling for close to their gas conterparts, I would be tempted.