Should I trade my TDI in?

Brag251

TDI
2010 Jetta TDi
Hi all I have been debating on train in my 2010 Jetta TDI with 124,000 miles on it and need some advice. I recently took it to the shop as the service engine light came on and it turned out that it was the turbocharger that was bad and cost me $2800. I cannot afford to have any other costly repairs such as this but thankfully my car is paid off and I do put money aside for repairs.

I need advice on what I should do and is it worth the risk on keeping the vehicle as opposed to trading it in or selling it by owner?

Thanks.

D.Eightch

TDI
11 Jetta Wagen TDi
Hi all I have been debating on train in my 2010 Jetta TDI with 124,000 miles on it and need some advice. I recently took it to the shop as the service engine light came on and it turned out that it was the turbocharger that was bad and cost me $2800. I cannot afford to have any other costly repairs such as this but thankfully my car is paid off and I do put money aside for repairs.
I need advice on what I should do and is it worth the risk on keeping the vehicle as opposed to trading it in or selling it by owner?
Thanks.

Would you rather have the potential for replacing broken parts? Or get tied into a monthly payment/large sum of money to purchase a new(er) vehicle? Only you can make that call..

JDenyer232

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
Open up a savings account and deposit what a car payment would be every month. This will give you a large balance in no time to pay for repairs, if no repairs are needed then you will be left with a large chunk of cash to use as a down payment for when that day comes that you do need a new car. Just a thought.

vwjettadsl

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
TDI’s

Thanks.
Find a new shop, they overcharged you big time.

http://www.idparts.com/borg-warner-cr140-turbocharger-cbea-cjaa-p-2564.html

If you can find a trusted & affordable TDI mechanic then TDI's make great cars, if you can't then you will spend an arm and a leg for service as you already know.

fancy_dancer

TDI
2009 JSW DSG
Trade in my 2009 JSW

I traded in my 2009 JSW TDI with DSG on Saturday, Nov 7. And drove home in a Toyota Avalon Hybrid. Because of low gas prices, I detected that hybrids are hard to sell, and I got $7,000 for my Jetta, with 183,959 miles on it, as well as a really good price on the Avalon. I'm sure that the turning point was that I had to install a new DSG just 20,000 miles ago when I got the code [FONT=&quot]“P2789 ($4B15 / 19221 001) Clutch Adaptive Learning at Limit, Upper limit exceeded". I'm going to miss Fred's Forum - I don't think that the Avalon has a fan club.[/FONT]

goodysgotacuda

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Goft TDI/6spd & Jetta TDI/DSG
Open up a savings account and deposit what a car payment would be every month. This will give you a large balance in no time to pay for repairs, if no repairs are needed then you will be left with a large chunk of cash to use as a down payment for when that day comes that you do need a new car. Just a thought.

Yep, pretty reasonable advice.

Depreciation on something new and the added interest will still come out of your pocket with something new, it's just not as in-your-face as a repair. If you account for the surge in funds for a repair, you will be just fine. If you budget like it'll never happen...then yea, it'll be a reason for concern.

peobryant

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Find a new shop, they overcharged you big time.

http://www.idparts.com/borg-warner-cr140-turbocharger-cbea-cjaa-p-2564.html

If you can find a trusted & affordable TDI mechanic then TDI's make great cars, if you can't then you will spend an arm and a leg for service as you already know.
This. If you can't work on your own car then you really need to find a TDI guru to do the work for you.

Do you have an invoice for the work done to your car? $2800 for a turbo replacement seems way overpriced to me, was anything else done at the same time?

As far as trading it in, well, that depends on a few things. At 124K miles you are now out of the extended HPFP warranty, so if that goes then say goodbye to at least $4k, probably more. However if you spend $500 or so for both of 2micron's kits for CR cars and the HPFP fails, you're only looking at $600 or so for a replacement HPFP and new filters, not including labor of course.

Also, if you haven't had the timing belt replaced yet you're 4K miles over the recommended replacement mileage so that will need to be done as soon as possible. That is another $600 or so (from a guru, dealers and other shops will generally charge a lot more and most have no idea how to work on a TDI) and even more if you have a DSG and need that serviced as well.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Clutch pack

I traded in my 2009 JSW TDI with DSG on Saturday, Nov 7. And drove home in a Toyota Avalon Hybrid. Because of low gas prices, I detected that hybrids are hard to sell, and I got $7,000 for my Jetta, with 183,959 miles on it, as well as a really good price on the Avalon. I'm sure that the turning point was that I had to install a new DSG just 20,000 miles ago when I got the code [FONT=&quot]“P2789 ($4B15 / 19221 001) Clutch Adaptive Learning at Limit, Upper limit exceeded". I'm going to miss Fred's Forum - I don't think that the Avalon has a fan club.[/FONT]
Couldnt the clutch pack just be replaced for this issue?

Brag251

TDI
2010 Jetta TDi
Hi all, i am going to keep this car for awhile longer. I am pretty good at putting money aside and ( thankfully I did so ). I should be able to get at least 50k more on this car. Did anyone hear what VW is planning on doing as far as regards to the recalls?

peobryant

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Hi all, i am going to keep this car for awhile longer. I am pretty good at putting money aside and ( thankfully I did so ). I should be able to get at least 50k more on this car. Did anyone hear what VW is planning on doing as far as regards to the recalls?
The only thing VW has announced is the goodwill program, they haven't announced anything regarding a recall on our cars.

Brag251

TDI
2010 Jetta TDi
How do you add a photo on here? I have my repair bill and would like some advice if I had been ripped off.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
VW Workers, that are involved in the "deal / vover-up" should come forward and no Dismissal". Managers will be let go! (fired).

Brag251

TDI
2010 Jetta TDi
I cannot find any shops near me but I live 20 min from Chicago and will be looking asap. I want to get timing belt changed. I looked online and seen a few Audis CPO and they offer a 6 year 100k warranty ( any advice

rotts4u

Veteran Member
TDI
None

Id like to hear more about the Avalon. I sent you a PM if you could reply off this thread that would be great.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V

You did not say what year the Avalon is, but it is just a bigger Camry. Good driving appliance. About as much fun as a Maytag dryer. But it works. My better half leased a 2015 Camry for $210/mo and $2K up front. Cheap enough, but zero fun.

croppz

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 DSG Jetta TDI
You did not say what year the Avalon is, but it is just a bigger Camry. Good driving appliance. About as much fun as a Maytag dryer. But it works. My better half leased a 2015 Camry for $210/mo and $2K up front. Cheap enough, but zero fun.
The only thing "fun" about driving a TDI is the gobs of torque you get at low RPM, other wise they are about just as "fun" to drive as a Toyota, Hyundai, Honda...etc.

Seriously, it's not like these things handle well or are fun in the twisties, they are good for a nice little punch off the line and that's it. If you want a fun car, buy a sports car. But these are family sedans/wagons.

I don't blame a single person for wanting to trade in or sell their TDI at this point.

Last edited:

jgilliam1955

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS
Trade it.

Thanks.
Trade it in.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Originally Posted by Brag251
Thanks.

Hi Brag -- the worst financial hit you can orchestrate involves buying new (big depreciation right off the lot), selling a perfectly functional TDI with low mileage when it's already paid off and after sinking $2800 into repairs, then buying a new car again! Triple whammy!

It's the paid-off car miles yet-to-be-driven that are your best deal. If you just like new things or find new cars something you need every few years, then that can be a costly thing though many do it.

I was a little confused by your statement "I cannot afford to have any more costly repairs." While admittedly way over-priced, the cost of your turbo repair probably equals about 6 - 8 months of a new car payment after which you'd just be sinking more money into car payments.

Anyway, if you sell/trade-in then buy a new car, it likely will cost you another $2800 in depreciation and lost use savings from a car you already paid for.

If you decide to keep it, you should find a trusted forum guru in your area and they'll keep you on the road at reasonable prices.

Good luck!