Pay fine and fix emissions problem or buyback?

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Let us not forget they helped people with HPFP problems, they extended the warranties on the turbo. It looks like they are covering adblue heater problems.. they have stepped up on these failures, if they refit and have problems, they are going to work with us.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
The State Emissions Compliant sector that will kill us all. You will have your State updating with that new software which will call out the non-compliance side of our vehicles. They will give you 30 or 60 0r 90 days to bring your emissions into "standards" meanwhile there is no "compliant" update for that state emission available. Your car won't be compliant for registration nor-insurance. You got a boat anchor for a vehicle at the end of your driveway.

On the other hand, no one - dealership of otherwise wants to buy a vehicle who in "non-compliant" with federal emission standards. The consumer, [the buyers] are at the mercy of the big auto makers and whomever is dedicating at state levels. Who the ***** wants that middle man job? Bail. Bail quick. Bail as fast as your arse can move.
At the end of the day...they have to address the emissions/compliance issue. That or buy the cars back. It was just in the news that they're worried about collateral values (in reference to Volkswagons Finacial arm) due to the impacted vehicles depreciating. Someone made the comment that "these loans won't go into default because these are people with solid credit histories (as a whole) who wouldn't benefit from defaulting."

Let's put it this way...if they just said "lol...enjoy your four wheeled paper weight..." I doubt I would be the only person that would say "lol...enjoy your defaulted loan.";)

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
Let us not forget they helped people with HPFP problems, they extended the warranties on the turbo. It looks like they are covering adblue heater problems.. they have stepped up on these failures, if they refit and have problems, they are going to work with us.

Keep in mind that they're quietly replacing HPFP's as they fail because if they don't...pissed off customers will band together and eventually force a recall. It's MUCH cheaper to make 0.5%-1.0% of people happy than it is to be forced to make EVERYONE happy by preemptively replacing HPFP's with units that are just going to fail eventually anyways. In that way, they're avoiding duplication of effort. Win/win for them. :)

NYC-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Free and Loving It

Let us not forget that they designed a HPFP that is not up to the challenge, a turbo that likes to snap in two, an intercooler that functions as an atmospheric distillation unit, etc., etc., etc.

Also let us not forget that they have had to be dragged kicking and screaming into even admitting any of this. As for "stepping up", it took them over 2 years to "step up" and deal with my intercooler issues (and then only partially successfully). There are many here still waiting for VW to "step up" and address HPFP failures, engines destroyed by hydrolocking, etc. Just search this site. VW builds crappy products and does not stand behind them. We also now know that they lie to government regulators and to us as well. This is the company that you trust to "work with" you?

As far as I'm concerned VW deserves all the pain it has coming. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Oh and of course none of VW's victims deserve any of this. I truly feel sorry for all of you. I hope VW is able to resolve this relatively easily but I suspect that will not be the case. I fear you all will be sharing in VW's pain.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I have been saying this to people who question me about my 2014 Passat and this scandal. I really like the car I don't love it as many here say, because it is ridiculous to love an object like a car. My comment is that if VW lied to the EPA and others how many times did they lie to us the consumer of their product? The creditably is questionable.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Let us not forget that they designed a HPFP that is not up to the challenge, a turbo that likes to snap in two, an intercooler that functions as an atmospheric distillation unit, etc., etc., etc.
Actually, they purchased (not designed) a HPFP that is not up to the challenge; similarly they purchased, not designed, the turbo. I'm not sure about the intercooler...

This doesn't absolve them of responsibility, but let's recognize that many OEM parts are picked from the suppliers' catalogs, not designed by the auto manufacturer.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
This doesn't absolve them of responsibility, but let's recognize that many OEM parts are picked from the suppliers' catalogs, not designed by the auto manufacturer.
VW should have tested the components before they assembled them in their product rather than waiting to see if the said components fail in the real world that we drive our cars in. Hope and pray that there will be no failures is not good business for future sales.

Last edited:

croppz

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 DSG Jetta TDI
Only thing I wish I had done was research more before buying my TDI. Both of my buds got TDIs (MK6 Golf and MK6 Jetta) and raved about how nice they were as far as comfort, performance and MPG was concerned. The guy with the Jetta is a huge car guy so I kinda took his word for it. My car is great so far (only got it on Sept 15th) but it only has 26/27k miles on it right now. The HPFP thing has me worried but I'm using stanadyne in every tank and using QT as my fuel since they literally warranty their fuel. So if anything happens and its a contamination issue, QT will fix it.

Anyway, i'll continue to drive and enjoy my car. I know theres going to be unhappy people when it comes to VW but look at any other manufacturer and you'll see their about the same as VW when it comes to CS and them not wanting to help much.

When the 05-06 Jeep wranglers were suffering from damaged engines due to the Oil pump drive assembly's gear disintegrating on the cam gear resulting in lifter/cam damage I called chrysler. I sent them to the 200+ page thread documenting each failure on Jeepforum.com. They said since it isn't a safety issue, they dont have to warranty or force a recall on it. After Chrysler told me to get bent, i'll never own another so I completely understand how some people feel about VW. This is my first german car, and first VW and so far the dealer I have been dealing with on everything regarding the car has been stellar.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
VW should have tested the components before they assembled them in their product...
Car manufacturers spend millions on millions testing products before unleashing them upon a gullible public. However, what transpires in the real world is different than can be replicated in a testing regimen: the passage of actual time and the abuse that the public can dream up to be foisted on any product.

They do the best they can, but it is impossible to perfectly replicate the real world, the actual time, and the manufacturing variances that occur when production for sale starts.

As for myself, I can't think of anything that has happened to my cars that is not within the realm of the real world and understandable consequences of the treatment my cars have received.

Cheers,

PH

edwinstar100

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I mentioned to the dealer by e-mail, that I might be interested in returning my car, and moving to a GTI gas engine...... which will be more money, they called back immediately, "we have been authorized by VW Canada to offer you book value, (pre fiasco) plus 2000$ towards a new VW... I think I will wait a little longer, its a small step in the right direction by VW, not nearly good enough though.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I mentioned to the dealer by e-mail, that I might be interested in returning my car, and moving to a GTI gas engine...... which will be more money, they called back immediately, "we have been authorized by VW Canada to offer you book value, (pre fiasco) plus 2000$ towards a new VW... I think I will wait a little longer, its a small step in the right direction by VW, not nearly good enough though.
I'm considering this option as well... Depends on how much VW will help out.
We really need to play the wait & see game to see how exactly VW will help TDI owners out with both the fix and a possible buy back.

Having test driven the 2016 GTI DSG I can say without a doubt that is a fantastic car! great handling and quite a bit faster then the TDI :D
The main thing that gives me pause on moving to a gasser GTI is MPG that will likely be cut by 30-40%.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Car manufacturers spend millions on millions testing products before unleashing them upon a gullible public. However, what transpires in the real world is different than can be replicated in a testing regimen: the passage of actual time and the abuse that the public can dream up to be foisted on any product.

They do the best they can, but it is impossible to perfectly replicate the real world, the actual time, and the manufacturing variances that occur when production for sale starts.

As for myself, I can't think of anything that has happened to my cars that is not within the realm of the real world and understandable consequences of the treatment my cars have received.

Cheers,

PH
As reported on this MB there were failures of the hpfp within weeks of purchase. I don't think the cars could possibly been abused to a point of failure in such a short period of time (real; world). I'll bet even lab testing showed early failure and VW chose to ignore it and did not raise a red flag.
dweisel isn't diesel anymore! look him up PH

Last edited:

paragrunt

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Premium w/ Nav
This is genuinely disturbing. I bought my car under a false premise. I was looking for a car that was a "clean diesel" AND was known to last a long time while getting great fuel economy. This has all been a bright shining lie. If the "patch" or "fix" is going to lower my fuel economy and possibly reduce the life of my engine, then VW can piss up a rope.

I used to have one of "those" clean earth friendly diesels. I bought a 2005 Jeep Liberty Diesel with the 2.8 CRD when they were new. I did a ton of research and was on various Jeep and off-roading forums outside the US and everyone who had one absolutely loved their Jeep diesels. BUT, apparently when they came here, our tree hugging EPA ruined the engines by putting unrealistic expectations on Chrysler. I had it for about 2 years and about 32k miles while it was in the shop for a total accumulation of around 2-3 months. It went through 3 EGR valves and a glow plug, among some other non-engine related repairs. I sent in the card in the back of the owners manual that stated "Notice of intent to file lemon lawsuit" and Chrysler couldn't get me to go away fast enough. I traded it in PDQ.

SO, when VW "flashes" the PCM or applies a patch, I will be expecting that there is going to be some major problems with the cars emissions systems. I know that on my old Liberty, an EGR valve was a $900.00 part (approx.) and another $1100.00 in labor. If they keep blowing EGR valves, then it's going to be very costly AND aggravating.

As for me, I'm done with VW. If they offer the ability to trade it in for a generous offer on another car, then I'm looking for the biggest VW dealer I can find and gonna look hard at their used lot. Doubt it will work that way, but I'd look for a used 2014 or 2015 in something I like. The only reason I bought a VW at all was for the TDI. That illusion is shattered, so I'm done with them. I saw that Pulaski Law Firm advertising commercials like crazy for a class action lawsuit. Their that big law firm that goes after pharmaceutical companies and big hospitals. That should be interesting.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Jeep Liberty's poor emissions systems can be blamed more on Chrysler's engineering than on the EPA. That engine is bulletproof in other applications, but Chrysler/Jeep either wouldn't or couldn't make it trouble-free in the Liberty applications. Once set up properly, however, they work well. We have a lot of loyal Liberty owners who aren't afraid to invest in their trucks as the vehicle and drivetrain is unique.

I think it's more than likely VW's fix will be better. And if it puts emissions component life at risk I expect they'll extend the warranty.

I like VWs. If I couldn't own a diesel I'd still drive a VW.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
So glad I bought one

The emissions defeat issue is not a big deal to me. Yes, I am stumped that VW would take such a massive risk and let this go on for nearly 7 years :eek: but frankly, I personally think that NOx emission standards were low enough already, and I am happy to get near 50mpg.

Please NHTSA and get better mpg, or please EPA and meet the newer NOx standard??? I choose lower carbon dioxide emissions. Regarding particulates... human beings are stirring up a storm of all sorts of particles on the planet, from explosives to free burning blow off torches at oil fields, all of which account for much higher particulates emissions than our 2L TDIs.

Most importantly, I feel LUCKY to have bought a new 2014 JSW TDI BEFORE this happened. I'll protect it like the family jewels :D
It is an awesome vehicle, and don't expect me to take it in for any update, ever. I may opt for Malone tune and possibly a DPF delete at some point. If I had the free cash, I'd probably do it now!

Last edited:

Jbratstdi

TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Sold Diesel Gate
The emissions defeat issue is not a big deal to me. Yes, I am stumped that VW would take such a massive risk and let this go on for nearly 7 years :eek: but frankly, I personally think that NOx emission standards were low enough already, and I am happy to get near 50mpg.

Please NHTSA and get better mpg, or please EPA and meet the newer NOx standard??? I choose lower carbon dioxide emissions. Regarding particulates... human beings are stirring up a storm of all sorts of particles on the planet, from explosives to free burning blow off torches at oil fields, all of which account for much higher particulates emissions than our 2L TDIs.

Most importantly, I feel LUCKY to have bought a new 2014 JSW TDI BEFORE this happened. I'll protect it like the family jewels :D
It is an awesome vehicle, and don't expect me to take it in for any update, ever. I may opt for Malone tune and possibly a DPF delete at some point. If I had the free cash, I'd probably do it now!
GO Malone Go..... Get a 3.5 pollute the air a little more and do it really fast:DD I did .....I have nothing but smiles as pass cars by in a flash

oldandconfused

TDI
2013 Jetta
I found on the web that some organization (sorry, don't remember who) tested a Jetta TDI in recent days and determined the horse power and torque will both drop when an emissions fix is applied. Said the torque drop would be more of a problem at slower speeds. Your not going to feel that "jump" when accelerating from a stop. This corrected vehicle is not the one I purchased. I want a fair buy back.

DC-IT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 EL350BlueTec & 2011 Jetta TDI Comfortline
For those in Ontario, Canada, who think they can refused to bring in their TDIs for the recall, the Ministry of the Environment has to power to refused to renew the license registration if you don't have proof that your TDIs have been cleaned up!

VWs could get curbed in Ontario

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
It was expected that the nannies from Ontario will be on the band wagon asap. So they certainly didn't disappoint trying to save us and our children from the rest of the bad world.

Just renewed my sticker a month ago, for two years (did I see this coming or what?) ... :) .... mind you, I would not be surprised if somehow they tried to get their "greedy" hands on my car before I need a sticker again. This is liberals in Ontario, right and their famous Drive Clean non-sense.

Moesauction!

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2001 tdi 423,000 sold:[ , 2003 tdi 425,000 lower ryder hot rod 17/22 520rc southbend clutch. 2005 mercedes cdi 232,000 sold , 2003 7.3 ford 586,000 miles.
lol lol its a recall you do not have to do it.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Was it the "our tree hugging EPA" or was it lobbyists and an auto industry that has shown no interest in small diesels for the consumer because they don't think there is a market?
I agree with paragrunt, it was the EPA.

There is no BIG ENGINE LOBBY.

There is however a SAVE THE EPA AT ALL COSTS LOBBY.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I found on the web that some organization (sorry, don't remember who) tested a Jetta TDI in recent days and determined the horse power and torque will both drop when an emissions fix is applied. Said the torque drop would be more of a problem at slower speeds. Your not going to feel that "jump" when accelerating from a stop. This corrected vehicle is not the one I purchased. I want a fair buy back.
We debunked that test several days ago. It has no basis in reality whatsoever.

ITDID

TDI
2006 jetta BRM engine, DSG
I am wondering to myself. What would be the most cost effective thing for VW to do in this situation. Pay the fine per car and fix the problem or just buy back all the TDI's they sold that are effected by this problem. I have been through the buyback process with GM this year and in my case I was better off trading in my Cadillac for the Jetta TDI I now have. The reason I traded that car in is because with in 27k mi I was on the 3rd engine because of a bad piston design on the 2.0t.

I researched TDI's for a while and I saw what kind mileage people were getting so I decided to check them out. I ended up driving every single VW model that's available with a TDI and I decided the most fun to drive and least expensive to maintain was with a manual. I wanted a fully loaded car with a manual which left me with the only choice of the Jetta SEL.

What I am getting to is, if this fix ruins the car I don't want it anymore and if the most cost effective thing is to buy back the car this is what VW should do.
IMHO VW has had a big time trust issue for the past few years and this most recent mess points to a culture of hiding problems. My direct experience has been with a DMF which grenaded at 77k. They did not admit fault but kind of did with a not-so-subtle part number/supplier change for the replacement DMf. A similar contributor to the trust issue could be said about a substandard cam design which wears out waaay before it should have (PD engines). Then there's the infamous HPFP issue; I can recall being at the dealer for the DMf issue in 2009 when there was an angry customer present facing thousands for a fuel system replacement, only to be accused of misfueling. They finally did mostly reimburse, but only after repeated failures. When there are a crazy number of car companies out there, and the profit margins being razor thin, you would think a better strategy would be to build customer loyalty by building or repairing trust instead of repeatedly breaking trust. I still love the car 260k miles later but am leery of vw as a company-not that I blindly trust any manufacturer.

Last edited: