1961 Willys jeep 1.9 Y1 swap

SirLoinOfBeef

TDI
1979 Rabbit 1.9 1Y
i am planning a VW 1.9 diesel swap in my Willys Jeep. i currently have a SM465 trans and I want to use it with this engine swap. my mind is set no turning back. So far i have the engine Located at Quality German Auto parts in Ontario Ca. I have the VW to Toyota adapter From ACME lined up that problem is solved as well. here is where i have problems. OTT says their adapter it about $300 but, it is out of stock. and they are Most likely a minimum of 6 months to a year away from tooling up and making their adapter for the SM465 to 20r Toyota bell that is if they even make it again. i am really in a Goatf*ck here.
I need to find the cad drawing dimensions for the SM465 transmission like i have here for the W58 Toyota transmission. I cannot seem to find anything on this GM transmission. Need all the Help I can get. a local shop says for at or just over $1000, they can spec it out from samples and make one for me. i would love to buy the OTT adapter. sadly i don't have 6 months to years time to wait.
http://www.ottindustries.com/22re-sm.htm
i need these parts.

this is the W58 cad drawing

i need the cad drawing for a SM465 trans
Thanks for any help!!!

onlyn8v

Veteran Member
Isnt the SM465 bolt pattern the same as a t-5? If so you can grab a drawign of that online- I would suggest checking Pirate4x4.com

SirLoinOfBeef

TDI
1979 Rabbit 1.9 1Y
Why wouldn't you just use the W56 or R151? What's the need for the SM465?
the w58 is so much longer and i would have to really pitch ther rear diff upward to align, plus i have Offset differentials and would have to reinvest in new front and rear ends and wheels 5 on 5.5 BP too it would be a real pain in the ass. this makes it more simple plus the 6.55 granny 1 st. gear and Dana 18 with 2.43 low range too. its simple and easy for the Win.

SirLoinOfBeef

TDI
1979 Rabbit 1.9 1Y
Isnt the SM465 bolt pattern the same as a t-5? If so you can grab a drawign of that online- I would suggest checking Pirate4x4.com
i don't know. i will have to look into this one. i cannot find much info on cad drawings for the SM465. there is a place in Canada, OTT industries that made the adapter that i need. i am currently begging them to make another one. or sell me a copy of the cad files anything really to make it work.

01greenjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta automatic
I realize you may be wanting to keep it looking original, but these things are much more capable and stable at speed if you move the rear axle toward the aft as this guy on pirate4x4.com did.
I live close to the Rubicon so I see a lot of Willys' set up this way.

Then you could probably use the 'yota trans and save a lot of time and money.

e*clipse

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota TDI swap
First, I'd like to say this is one cool project. I'll bet that Willys is really light - nice off road w/ a diesel!

SirLoinOfBeef:
the w58 is so much longer and i would have to really pitch ther rear diff upward to align, plus i have Offset differentials and would have to reinvest in new front and rear ends and wheels 5 on 5.5 BP too it would be a real pain in the ass. this makes it more simple plus the 6.55 granny 1 st. gear and Dana 18 with 2.43 low range too. its simple and easy for the Win.
How much longer?
It's a really bad idea to angle the differential so it points up to the tranny. Here's the reason: U-joints are not CV joints. In other words, the output of a U-joint at an angle does NOT spin at a constant RPM. This is why U-joints are paired - the second one offsets the non-constant rpm of the first one.
So, you can have a centered transmission output go at an angle (both verticle and horizontal) to an offset differential. Just make sure the input shaft for the differential is parallel to the output shaft of the tranny.
It's really no big deal to get a different driveline, just make sure the u joints can handle the angles.

N2TOH

Veteran Member
TDI
none currently
The problem is an early CJ5 is an 80 inch wheelbase truck, there is so little room between the engine and rear drive yoke that adding even a single inch is something to be concerned about.

Why wouldn't you just use the W56 or R151? What's the need for the SM465?

nwca

TDI
99 beetle tdi, 2003 golf TDI, 2003 beetle cabrio
I know this thread is a little older.but anyway we can get a update? I have a 1.6 in front of a ax15 and I'm putting a 1.9 MTDI up there..have another CJ5 with a 2.5 and plan on putting the 1.6 with a SM465 in its place soon. I built all the original adapters myself (Using the Jeep Flywheel even) so I'm not afraid of some fabricating..but if there is a source for getting the adapter plates..