Oil change place forgot the little O-ring

NB2002TDI

I changed my oil myself for the first time. I was quickly reminded of why I should always do all the work on my cars myself. The last place that did the oil change forgot to put on the little O-ring.:mad:

So, what does that little O-ring do? Has damage been done without it?

Also, the replacement O-ring that came with the oil filter seemed like a loose fit at the end of rod. I assume it goes in the groove, but since there wasn't one there, I don't know for sure.

Thanks

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
NB2002TDI said:
I changed my oil myself for the first time. I was quickly reminded of why I should always do all the work on my cars myself. The last place that did the oil change forgot to put on the little O-ring.:mad:

So, what does that little O-ring do? Has damage been done without it?

Also, the replacement O-ring that came with the oil filter seemed like a loose fit at the end of rod. I assume it goes in the groove, but since there wasn't one there, I don't know for sure.

Thanks
__. There are two grooves, be sure you're in the right one. Also, the O-ring is one of the seals that prevents oil from seaping from the clean to dirty side of the filter -- it may also allow pump pressure into the filter to leak down (I'm not sure about that). Your engine isn't going to seize tomorrow from it not being there but I'd never run without one.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
The oil was re-circulating internally. Nothing major happened but you simply were not getting optimal filtration.

"Pay peanuts...you get monkeys"

DB

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
Chances are they did not even know there was a ring. You are lucky the even really changed the filter. Keep away from those dens of iniquity.

meetis

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 VW Jetta silver
I thought it was very funny once when i went to a quick oil change place. I guess the gassers accualyl have a spin on filter? Anyway they had the car up on a lift and the guy was looking under the car for a good 10 minutes trying to find the filter. Was worth the money only because i payed a flat rate and was there to accually make sure the job was done lol. Was well worth it to watch a Oil change certifyed technician struggle for 10 minutes trying to find a filter that was not there :) when i told him he needed to lower the car to find the filter he just looked at me funny till i told him it was a cartridge filter (they had to make a quick run to the stealership :) ) and it was between the engine and radiator cant miss it under the engine shroud. I think they ended up paying almost what i paid for the service for the filter since they went to a stealership for it. Not going to do it again but it had me pretty entertained.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
TurboDan said:
SO. Just to be clear (IM Dumb) The groove farthest from the big cap end OR the very first groove you come to is the groove the o ring goes in. Correct?
Correctomundo!

You'll see there is a groove-like area even closer to the short end in the picture but the diameter is way too small so you can rtell that's the wrong spot. Suffice to say it is the furthest groove toward the short end where the o-ring fits snugly.

Also, it doesn't hurt to pre-lube the ring with a little new or even used oil.

MPGeez!

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Black TDI 5M PK2
NB2002TDI said:
That's okay. As others have pointed out the small O-ring effects filtration. I've done 5 oil changes on my A5 and the last time I accidentally cut (nicked) the large O-ring and hadn't noticed because it was getting dark. The following morning I was driving and noticed a never heard before hissing sound on acceleration. I thought it might be a boost leak. So I opened the hood and noticed oil squeezing past the cap of the filter housing. I estimate I lost about 3/4 quart of oil in the 25 miles I had driven, so the engine wasn't yet being starved. BUT it all was collected on the plastic skid plate under the car--what a mess! :eek:

Be careful with those O-rings! :)

Hennapanda

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I did my first oil change on my A5, and somehow trashed the upper O ring (the large one). Is there a torque spec for tightening this screw filter back down? Finger tight kind of thing, or do you really honk on it? Man, I almost blew up my engine not knowing I was leaking oil all over the place, but it was captured by the skid pan.

john

greenskeeper

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
The best story I heard from my mechanic who's brother works at a quick lube place was this:

A car came in with a stripped oil plug, so how do you think they got the old oil out? They removed the oil filter and ran the engine until no more oil shot out! Refilled and sent them on their way!

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
meetis said:
...guy was looking under the car for a good 10 minutes trying to find the filter. ...

A friend of mine told me a similar story about when he took his TDI to an oil change place. I took a look under the hood just to make sure they didnt screw anything up... wow.

They left most of the underpan screws out, which caused it to drag, allowed the side shields to swing out into the tires and get pretty chewed up.. they apparently remembered doing the filter on an older TDI because they loosened the big hex holding the oil cooler on, realized it wasnt the filter, then retightened it. The trouble is, when they retightened it, the cooler turned and crimped off the flow of coolant in and out. The o-rings clearly werent changed... piss poor work over all.

I wonder if I'll ever begin to trust shops again.

drseth

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI Automatic
The best story I heard from my mechanic who's brother works at a quick lube place was this:

A car came in with a stripped oil plug, so how do you think they got the old oil out? They removed the oil filter and ran the engine until no more oil shot out! Refilled and sent them on their way!
One time, my sister won an oil change and filter on abradio call in deal, and they stripped the oil drain plug threads. They wouldn't fix it, acting like it was already strupped. These places will also overtorque lugnuts, and possible strip them.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
One time, my sister won an oil change and filter on abradio call in deal, and they stripped the oil drain plug threads. They wouldn't fix it, acting like it was already strupped. These places will also overtorque lugnuts, and possible strip them.
You do realize that this is an eleven year old thread... :rolleyes:

nathan11

TDI
Volkswagen Jetta
I remember once in Greece I rented quite an old B6 with bad brakes and old oil (which I discovered later), and I headed to the mountains with the wife:) It was veeeeery difficult for me and scary for her. The renting company really didn't care when we gave it back, they just said: Ah, okay, no problem. Things are very easy in Greece, though I did like the country back then, heard from couple of friends that they are considering investing in Greek property and I know that some people are even moving there.