Black rubber grommets?

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 MKV Jetta TDI 1.9L - 237k 2013 Passat TDI - 31k
Hello all. I replaced my cam a few days ago and these fell out at some point in the process and I have no clue what they went to/what they are? Does anyone know where these go? Car is a 2006 Jetta TDI. Thank you!

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
No. Tighten all the cylinder head cover bolts, as they get loose and the engine then leaks oil.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Ah okay yeah it does look like that! Would this be why my engine is leaking oil??
The usual place for external oil leaks after cam replacement is at the #1 and #5 bearing caps. Take the valve cover back off and put some sealant where the valve cover gasket meets the valve bearing caps.

The other possible leak is the Tandem Pump Gasket.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Hello all. I replaced my cam a few days ago and these fell out at some point in the process and I have no clue what they went to/what they are? Does anyone know where these go? Car is a 2006 Jetta TDI. Thank you!
They don't look like the grommets for the engine cover to me, but I could be wrong.

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
The usual place for external oil leaks after cam replacement is at the #1 and #5 bearing caps. Take the valve cover back off and put some sealant where the valve cover gasket meets the valve bearing caps.

The other possible leak is the Tandem Pump Gasket.
I did put sealant on those caps prior to reinstallation but I'll check and see if those are leaking any oil out...I also haven't had the engine cover on the car for about 30000 miles now so those grommets could be from that if they got lodged somewhere and then freed once i was tinkering in the engine bay...I have a wedding today but I'm going to give the engine a good cleaning especially the back of the block and then take it for a drive, put it immediately on ramps and see if I can see where the oil is coming from. Thank you for the help!

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you for all the help guys. Gonna give the engine bay a good cleaning today if I can and then I'll report back with hopefully a more specific idea of where the oil is coming from.

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not sure, but that sure is some nice walnut!
Hahah thanks man. This guy makes these tables for a local coffee shop that my wife and I love so we got one for our house lol. And PS...Gunk heavy duty engine cleaner is the holy grail of engine cleaner lol my goodness