TDI Trade in Value

steve1479

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI
Just curious if any of you have looked at trading in your newer (2010-2015) Jetta's and what you've been told you'd get for them.

I went into two VW dealers and was told my 2015 Jetta Highline w/e tech. package and 45,000 km's is only worth $18,000 - $20,000 at the moment.

This whole dieselgate ****e really is kicking the piss out of the resale value of our cars. Pretty garbage considering I traded my 2012 Jetta highline in just over a year ago with 99,000 km's for $22,000...

Post up what you guys have been offered or found in your local area.

PS. I've been told the "Fix" is coming out within 30-60 days and the resale value will be up when that happens.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
I think you got a very good trade-in for your 2012... probably much better than average.

From what I hear the private market is moving TDI's along just fine, it poses a much larger risk to a dealer to purchase TDI's at this moment considering they can't CPO them.

I am assuming that the value of the TDI's after the "FIX" is going to depend on how the "Fix" affects our cars performance.

Johnny G1

TDI
2013 golf wagon DSg
Mine will likely be worth **** as they are not gonna ever get it in their shop for a fix, plan on taking it Edmonton and chip it and see if they can getbetter fuel milage out of it, going rate was $400. last yr and a friend took his new 6sp in and wound up with more power and the low 70s mpg and he drives it like he stole it all the time, normal speed in Alberta so he say's is around 125-140kph, 32 k on mine and the best I ever got was barely 50mpg on a 700 mile trip to Alberta, best for the yr. is 48 average mpg.

robertgalka

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Highline
I was offered $13,500 for a 14 Jetta Trendline+ with DSG, 33,000 km, at a local VW dealer. That was off of their inflated price for a 15 Passat Highline. I ended up selling it privately for $15,000.00 and buying a clean 15 Passat in another province. It took about a month to sell the Jetta, and I only had one looker.

Aspjeepguy

TDI
2014 value edition
My family got larger just before the scandal broke. I am looking for a larger SUV. The vehicle seems to be worth about 32% less than it was 4 months ago. Maybe my numbers are high but I have been paying close attention to KBB. I may try to unload it via private party if the dealer does not deal.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Trading in is a good way to get ripped off right now. Sell private party if you want to get your money out of it.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Trading in is a good way to get ripped off right now. Sell private party if you want to get your money out of it.
This is good advice if you have to get rid of the car for some good reason. If there is not a good reason to get rid of the car, it would probably be better to keep it for a while. We do not know yet what VW will do about fixing these cars, but the value could easily go back up again after the fix and when fuel prices go up again high mileage cars will be in demand again. Also VW's hiring of Ken Feinberg as arbitrator/payout manager could mean nice things for TDI owners. My car is fully paid off and I am in no hurry to get rid of it. I like having an efficient, clean, fun to drive, and payment free vehicle to drive. I will wait and see what happens, I have plenty of popcorn.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited:

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Just curious if any of you have looked at trading in your newer (2010-2015) Jetta's and what you've been told you'd get for them.
I'm just curious why you'd even consider trading in a car that soon and with such low kilometers. My last car was sold when it was 15 years old.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
Not just right now. Trading in is a bad deal at any time.
Correct. If anyone is looking at buy a car from a dealership and selling their current vehicle, they need to look into a thing called "convenience deal".

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Correct. If anyone is looking at buy a car from a dealership and selling their current vehicle, they need to look into a thing called "convenience deal".
I have done those for the last few cars I have bought. I sold privately and then swung the sale through the dealer to save me the taxes.

And don't let the dealer BS you into a charge for doing so, like the rest of the BS charges they love to tack on.

orion4048

TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI
I was looking into unloading my 2013 Jetta TDI premium edition for a new Jetta TSI engine. Car has 40K on the clock. First dealer I went to low balled me at $10K and wouldn't budge no matter what, which is ridiculous to me, and the second one offered $11,500. Certainly not great that's for sure.

TDI Marauder

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I'm was looking to go to a Jetta 1.8t Sport after hearing of the diesel fraud & my dealership low balled me & offered me only $3000 for my 2011 TDI due to the mileage (fair ???) & the mileage (185000- fair... Not a miss print, double jeopardy- I'm not kidding) LOL.

My TDI is used as a long distance commuters (100+ highway mile's per day.. All non-stop freeway) and is in fantastic shape with new tires and a full history of maintenances and the DPF is still showing low ash
levels per VCDS..... So wait until the class action suit is completed

Last edited:

Johnny G1

TDI
2013 golf wagon DSg
And that is just why the dealer's will likely go down, screw with most people like you and me, I go drive a better piece of junk??

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Mine will likely be worth **** as they are not gonna ever get it in their shop for a fix, plan on taking it Edmonton and chip it and see if they can getbetter fuel milage out of it, going rate was $400. last yr and a friend took his new 6sp in and wound up with more power and the low 70s mpg and he drives it like he stole it all the time, normal speed in Alberta so he say's is around 125-140kph, 32 k on mine and the best I ever got was barely 50mpg on a 700 mile trip to Alberta, best for the yr. is 48 average mpg.
Your buddy is jerking you around if he claims he gets 70mpg driving it like he stole it, or at all. Maybe down Mt. Washington. You should be quite happy with 50 mpg.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It just occurred to me that you are probably talking about imperial gallons. Still 70 mpg imperial is 58 mpg US. Not really attainable with spirited driving .

Johnny G1

TDI
2013 golf wagon DSg
Why then do the European engine obtain that kind of mpg as been stated that they can get 74 mpg out of the same engine and they don't exactly drive that slow??? its because the American road tax per gallon of fuel??? The reason I am squawking about our vw is the fuel mileage is not anywhere near what it was advertised at, and we know of other owner's that are getting close to the 60mpg in the same car's, Go figure.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, a: you have the dsg, which is not geared for max fuel efficiency. And b: most of canada is colder than much of Europe. I also doubt the Europeans with the same car and engine are getting 60 mpg US without driving like my grandmother.

manny_c44

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
If you live somewhere really flat, like Delaware or central Germany than you would probably average closer to 53 mpg, but not 60 or 70.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
If you live somewhere really flat, like Delaware or central Germany than you would probably average closer to 53 mpg, but not 60 or 70.
I've gotten a couple tanks in the 51-53 MPG range while driving ~62-65 MPH in a flat area. If someone didn't want to go anywhere fast (I.e. Limit speed to 55 MPH) AND went through a relatively flat stretch (I.e. Midwest)...I wouldn't be surprised if someone could see 60 MPG tanks. But yeah...as you said...the odds of averaging 60 MPG...if you aren't driving like a douchebag (holding up traffic in a 70 MPH zone by going 55 MPH) are low.