RPM going up and down at constant speed HELP!!

cgi2099

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1999.5
Just got my other TDI up and going (2002 Jetta). My problem is at about 1500 to 3000 RPM's while driving at a constant speed (not slowing down or accelerating) my RPM's will go up and down about a 100 or so, causing the car to what i would say rock. I have VCDS and the only code i have is: "Anti-Shudder Valve + or - ground Intermittent" I've looked at all the write ups on this code, i have replaced all my vacuum lines and checked/cleaned the connector to the anti-shudder valve but still the code doesn't go away or the RPM problem. Car runs and drives great with the exception of this problem, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Josh

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Try unplugging your electrical connector to the antishutter valve control, it's the little black box on the back of the intake manifold... kinda hidden.

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
sure, just for the test...

on a 99.5 it should be a squeeze on the two wires, then pull.

99vdub

TDI
99 mk4 jetta
I have that same problem on my 99.5 as well, it just started this past weak. It all started with a permanent CEL and blinking GPL for a whole day than the next morning it went away. All of a sudden speedometer and RPM started bouncing freely and I get this shudder in second gear at about 20-25 miles per hour, I can hear a noise near the dashboard Im not sure if its related to my problem.

cgi2099

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 1999.5
My speedo doesn't move around its just the RPM's going up and down at a constant speed, i also don't have any noise from the dashboard.

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
If it is an automatic I'm thinking your surging is coming from the valve body. I would recommend talking to CoolAirVW on this site about diagnosing this thing for sure and, if it is what I think it is, replacing the valve body with a rebuild one before it wrecks the rest of your tranny.

http://kansascitytdi.com/

there is a link to his site and also there is a 01M FAQ on there where you might find extra help with your issue.

fakhan

TDI
Jetta
Hello,
Some one help my jetta 2002 tdI starting normal but when I put in gear and try to drive rpm goes up and down and some back fire kind think happened also black smog coming out if I take out the air senssor car start drive normal no black smog but some funny sound come from engin I already clean intake egr valve still same....
Thanks

RECCE-17

Veteran Member
TDI
current 2011 Jetta,(ret)01' Jetta TDI (ret) 92' Golf Diesel
Hello,
Some one help my jetta 2002 tdI starting normal but when I put in gear and try to drive rpm goes up and down and some back fire kind think happened also black smog coming out if I take out the air senssor car start drive normal no black smog but some funny sound come from engin I already clean intake egr valve still same....
Thanks
Try getting a new MAF. Also try not to hijack anyone's thread again. Sorry but if you have a problem start your own thread.

As for the OP problem sounds like the transmission to me as well. The ASV code may just be a coincidence. Your sure the ASV arm is still working not broken?