1st TDI - 2005 or 2005.5 Jetta?

mimmik

TDI
2010 manual JSW
Hi, I'm a relative newbie looking to buy my first TDI. I've looked at several '05 Jetta sedans so far - I've read they was a redesign release mid-year, but can't find anything that mentions how you can tell if a specific car is the older or newer version, and if it makes a big difference to buy either over the other as a used car.

Any advice or tips very welcome - I've found this forum is full of very helpful people on my other 2 posts so far!

niteman9

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Completly differant cars.

This one is a 2001 but same body style as 2005

This is my 2006 but same body style of the 2005.5

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
and further to the above, the top photo is the "Mk4" body style and the bottom photo is the "Mk5" body style.

The interior styling is substantially different and the Mk5 is a larger car. The Mk5 has arguably better steering and ride/handling balance due to the use of a better rear suspension design, but it's harder to see out of, particularly to the rear quarters, due to the high belt-line (height of the bottom of the windows). Probably you'll be paying more for a Mk5 because it's the current body style.

TwoTone

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta (sold)
Also, if you decide on the newer body style. VW started decontenting the cars after 05.5.

For example, my 05.5 Package 1 has more features than a 06 Package 1

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
MkV cars do have their perils though..

DSG (Auto Trans) Flywheel issues and Premature Camshaft wear issues are the big ones here..

If the car has service records that indicate that the DSG Dual-Mass Flywheel has been replaced, and a decent mechanic takes a look at the camshaft and says it looks OK, I'd go ahead with the 2005.5 car. Otherwise, the 2005 Jetta might be the better buy.

I'm a firm believer in buying late in model runs. Hopefully, by the end of a model run any issues that are common to that particular chassis will have been worked out. The 2005.5 MkV is the first of this to be introduced into North America.

GoFaster is absolutely correct about rear-quarter visibility.. The MkV car has terrible rear quarter visibility compared to previous Jettas.

mimmik

TDI
2010 manual JSW
Thanks - are there any sites which have side-by-side pics to show differences inside and out? I have to admit I don't see a huge difference between the two pics above, though the pic angles aren't the same so that makes it harder - sorry niteman9, but I have girl DNA which often doesn't register car stuff the same as guy DNA! :)

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
The 2005.5 ones look just like the brand new ones you see lots of on the road. They have a lot of chrome on the front grille. Or just look at a brand new one in the dealership.

The 2005's look just like the older ones, of which you see even more on the road and you are probably most familiar with. Not much chrome on the front.

I just bought a 2006, after owning an '02 for eight years. They are both extraordinary vehicles, but I will say I like the newer one better. But the older ones have less potentially expensive "issues", and are generally less expensive to run. If you are looking for an automatic, the newer transmission is much nicer.

roccman

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
mimmik said:
Thanks - are there any sites which have side-by-side pics to show differences inside and out? I have to admit I don't see a huge difference between the two pics above, though the pic angles aren't the same so that makes it harder - sorry niteman9, but I have girl DNA which often doesn't register car stuff the same as guy DNA! :)
Go to wiki page on vw jetta. There broken down by mk with pictures.

F250_JR

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI Special Edition
As far as issues to watch out for, everybody else has pretty much pointed out the important stuff with the mkV's. For the mkIV's (fourth generation), the only major issue that comes to mind is the automatic transmissions. Basically, automatic mkIV's made from 2000 to 2003 (please somebody verify those years for me) used the 01M automatic transmission which is known for failure between 80,000 and 120,000 miles. So, if at all possible, stay away from automatic VW's made in those years.

Here are some mkIV interior/exterior pics to help you out...

^^^This seems to be a slightly modded interior with the tan plaid wrapping around the steering console, armrest, and A pillars, and the touch screen headunit, but you get the idea...

And here are some more pics of a mkV (current generation)

Notice that with each generation, the first interior pic is of a relatively decontented, basic model, and the second interior pic is of one with more options.

Overall, the interior differences are slight, assuming that you compare cars with compatible or similar trim packages. If you aren't really into cars that much, probably the most obvious difference will be the fact that there is less room in the earlier generation. And, since the mkIV's are older cars, there are more of them with more miles on them, so they tend to be more "used" and often abused both inside and out when compared to newer mkV's with less miles on them.

Like everybody else said, the mkV is a good bit larger than the mkIV, and of course, the engineering has been upgraded to a certain level, and the engines offered (both gas and diesel) are all more powerful than the ones in the mkIV. Hope that helps with your search!

Last edited:

SootFoot

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold
mimmik said:
but I have girl DNA which often doesn't register car stuff the same as guy DNA! :)
Then think of the potential cam failure (2005.5 w/ BRM engine) in what it would cost to repair, which would be between $4000 - $5000 depending on what shop does the work.

F250_JR

Veteran Member
TDI
It's important to remember that while there is an undeniable problem with cam failure, only a small (relatively speaking) group of people have suffered this. There are still plenty of BRM's driving around without any issues, having undergone the exact same maintenance procedures as the ones with failed cams. If I were in the market, I would not discount mkV TDI's, I would just have the cam inspected on any TDI I considered, and write it off if there was wear, or a history or wear with a replaced cam.

Just be careful and aware, and you can probably find a perfectly good mkV TDI which has a perfectly normal cam. It's important to see both sides of the issue.

Kai

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon manual; 2006 Jetta TDI sedan manual
SootFoot said:
I'd go with the 2005. I believe the 2005 may have the BEW engine code whereas the 2005.5 is the BRM code.
What is the different between the BEW and BRM motors? We have both a 2004 and 2006 TDI. Both are PD motors, correct? But the 2006 seems to be snappier and have more power.

F250_JR

Veteran Member
TDI
BEW PD's were manufactured in the 2004 and early (mkIV) 2005 models. BRM PD's came in the 2005.5 and 2006 mkV TDI's.

I am not sure of all the internal changes, but I can tell you for sure that the EGR system is different on the BRM, and the BRM's make more power stock than the BEW's. I am pretty sure the turbo setups are slightly different too.
Copied from TDI Club FAQ...

1.9 litre 4-cylinder 90hp (A4 type) - used in various models available in Europe and North America from 1998 on, this gradually replaced the previous engine as the car models were changed. Within this document we will call this the A4 engine because the most common application is the A4-chassis Golf, Jetta, Bora, New Beetle, and various models from Seat and Skoda using the same chassis.

The injection system uses a distributor-type pump. The oil filter is a cartridge type, and sits in a vertical container on the front of the engine towards the left of the car. On cars with transverse engines, the air filter housing is at the left side of the engine compartment and the two black plastic pipes to the intercooler lead towards the right front corner - exactly the opposite of the arrangement used on the previous model.

On North American models, the turbocharger is a variable-vane type. On European models, the turbocharger is a conventional wastegate type. The North American A4 engine is essentially a Euro 110hp A4 engine but with engine controls optimized for emissions rather than performance.

Models with this engine have badges with a silver "T" and red "DI".

The injection system is the "pump-nozzle" type, and the turbocharger is a variable-vane type. The lack of the injection pump mounted on the front of the engine is the obvious visual difference.

I couldn't find any of the specs for mkV PD's. However, it does make slightly higher horsepower and torque than the previous model.

Last edited:

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Difference

Kai said:
SootFoot said:
I'd go with the 2005. I believe the 2005 may have the BEW engine code whereas the 2005.5 is the BRM code.
What is the different between the BEW and BRM motors? We have both a 2004 and 2006 TDI. Both are PD motors, correct? But the 2006 seems to be snappier and have more power.
The BRM engine in your 06 Jetta has 5 more hp than the BEW in the 04 according to Bentley. If both of your cars are auto as mine are the 04 had a 5 sp tiptronic trans and the 06 came with a 6 sp DSG. I have had no problems with either transmission. Love the DSG transmission!:D

mimmik

TDI
2010 manual JSW
great - thanks for all the additional info and pics - and I'm strictly a manual transmission girl and not even looking at the automatics, so won't have to worry about those probs

Kai

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon manual; 2006 Jetta TDI sedan manual
Both 04 and 06 TDIs are 5-speed manual. The transmissions feel pretty much the same. The 06 seems to shift a bit easier, but it of course has fewer miles on the odometer. The clutch in the 06 has less play. It is more on or off, compared to the 04 which has a more gradual engagement.

For the person choosing between the 05 and 06, my feeling is that the latter is a more modern car, zippier, and with tighter handling. The looks are more rakish, stylish. I love our 04. It's part of our family. The 06 is less familiar but more fun.